Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Religion helps people. Is Dawkins evil?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Religion helps people. So why then are atheists and dawkins in particular so bothered about telling people that it does not exist?

Imagine if a person told a sick and dying patient that their placebo tablets were fake, even though they knew the placebo tablets alleviated their suffering?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    People don't go starting wars, blowing themselves up or persecuting one another over placebos.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To summarise,

"Atheism and Richard Dawkins are evil because placebos can alleviate the suffering of sick people"

Is this the best you can do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    People don't go starting wars, blowing themselves up or persecuting one another over placebos.

Government is the greatest cause of war in History. Not religion.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natchina)
    Religion helps people. So why then are atheists and dawkins in particular so bothered about telling people that it does not exist?

Imagine if a person told a sick and dying patient that their placebo tablets were fake, even though they knew the placebo tablets alleviated their suffering?
    Because religion also causes a lot of harm in the world, too. Simply because it makes some people feel better it doesn't mean that 1.) it's a good thing and 2.) that it's true.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    wow, she has the answers!
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Government is the greatest cause of war in History. Not religion.
    It doesn't need to be the greatest cause, as long it's a substantial cause.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Crusades, Thirty Years' War, purges, persecution of scientific minds, witch hunts, terrorism, hate crimes.

Yes, religion makes the world a better place.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Richard-Dawkins1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	11.7 KB 
ID:	140327

...You were never meant to find out...
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a theist, I assure you, people like you do more damage to religion that Dawkins ever will.

• 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sure, it helps people but causes problem for a lot of people too.

I'm not anti- religion, but you can't say that no suffering has arisen from it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

and you think people judging others for not having the correct placebos is good? you think people FIGHTING those who have different placebos is good because they think its inferior/unworthy? you think people hoping those who dont have placebos will die a horrible death is good to?

the questions go on...

youre just hyperboling for effect

(Original post by electriic_ink)
    To summarise,

"Atheism and Richard Dawkins are evil because placebos can alleviate the suffering of sick people"

Is this the best you can do?
    my bad, accidentally negged you :/
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm religious and your comment is ridiculous.

Religion has, in many ways, caused evil throughout history, but your comparison is terrible simply because there's so much more to it; the whole situation and debate is a lot more complex than you've made it out to be.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just because it comforts them doesn't mean it's true. So we should lie to ourselves is the essence of your argument is it not?
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dorkins is just another millionaire dumping on poor people
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

How would a placebo tablet be alleviating the suffering of a dying patient?

Religion =/= placebo, normal people =/= "sick and dying"

This terrible analogy, along with your supposition that religion "helps people", is why you're getting backlash.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    my bad, accidentally negged you :/
    OK. Don't worry about it :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Sure, it helps people but causes problem for a lot of people too.

I'm not anti- religion, but you can't say that no suffering has arisen from it.
    Thankyou for this reply. I was being swamped by glib male quips there.....

My point was that religion, no matter what you think of it, helps individuals through difficult times. so it seems cruel to tell people that they and their family are nothing but animals. And that life after death does Not exist.

Militant Atheists like dawkins remind me of the sort of people who would tell small children that father Christmas does not exist.

Surely, they can express their ideas in a more humble and compassionate way?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:

Its actually very easy to not believe that a cosmic Jewish zombie who was his own father and can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because some rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

What 'placebo' will give me that hallucination?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for this reply. I was being swamped by glib male quips there.....

My point was that religion, no matter what you think of it, helps individuals through difficult times. so it seems cruel to tell people that they and their family are nothing but animals. And that life after death does

Militant Atheists like dawkins remind me of the sort of people who would tell small children that father Christmas does not exist.

Surely, they can express their ideas in a more humble and compasinate way?
    You make it sound like Richard Dawkins personally visits dying old Christian ladies to convince them that there is no after-life.

It's not cruel to speak your mind - in fact it's a human right. Most of what Dawkins says is at least rational.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.