Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Opinions on new rape awareness advert?

Announcements Posted on
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't think rapists will be put off by an advert to be honest.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Have you seen the advert? A lot of the point of it is that rape isn't something that's exclusively done by men who think to themselves "I'm going to go out and rape someone tonight". Rape is any time a man has sex with a woman who does not consent to it.

Nobody is going to deter the kind of man who goes out at night with the intention of committing rapes, because that kind of person is already totally detached from any concerns about what is right and legal. But there are men who pressure women into sex without believing they're raping them (they're "playing hard to get" or something like that) who, if they could view their behaviour objectively, would realise that they are actually committing rape, and would hopefully refrain from doing so on realising this.

EDIT: Negged? Really? I normally wouldn't mind, but this heavily suggests there's someone out there who wants to put down my opinion because they're unprepared to face up to the fact that having sex with someone who doesn't consent to it is rape - no matter what the circumstances. Men who think they can do anything they like to a woman because they've bought her a drink or danced with her in a club make me incredibly f***ing angry.
    I didn't neg you but, at a guess, I'd say the reason you got negged is because of your definition of rape (in bold).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)

Actually, strictly, women can't.
    care to humour me as to why not?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    gets the point across loud and clear but they forget the fact that rape is not a one way street and women can rape aswell.
    this.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Men getting raped could be a common issue as they are unlikely to report it or talk to anyone about it so there is nothing to suggest whether it is common or not.
    I understand that, but it is physically more difficult for a woman to rape a man than it is for a man to rape a woman. Strength aside, quite simply, unless drugged with something a man can't really have sex if he doesn't want to because he would need to be 'aroused'. On the other hand, there are many ways for a woman to be raped without being drugged.

Also, as for most cases not being reported that is included in the estimated statistics. An estimated 95% of rape cases where the woman is the victim are also not reported.

I do understand what you're saying but if you just look plainly at our society, it's easy to recognise that rape is a more common problem for women. I've never heard a male rape joke before with a chloroform / rohypnol pun. I've never heard any of my girl friends plan to get a guy drunk to take advantage of them but I've the inverse often.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble.
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    care to humour me as to why not?
    http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2003/42/section/1
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peli-Pelican)
    Ok, once again I'm not sure if this is the right section but I'm sure someone will correct me if it's not.

Anyyway, the point of this thread is I'm curious to know what other people think about the 'sex with someone who doesn't want to is rape' advert.
    Personally, I think it's really good that people are finally trying to raise awareness about an issue that is ridiculously difficult to pinpoint even nowadays.
    Especially as it is so difficult to get so-called date rape charges pressed, knowing someone should not mean they are allowed to assault you, refusal is refusal.
    Quite shocking, badly acted out though.

It a ridiculous rape 'awareness' advert, in the whole sense. It just gives the impression girls are sluts and teases and rape occurs because a girl is drunk and practically on it already, infact I bet there are many people who don't even think what the guy did was rape. Likely the reason why it was made.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sconter)
    exactly, its not as common an issue. everyone knows about women being raped, but there is still stigma and embarressment for a man to come forward, a lot more than women, which needs to be addressed. nothing was earned from these adverts, as rape against women is always at the forefront and we all know it.
    I do agree with you, but understandably the government can't spend money on national campaigns on things that aren't a national issue. I do think some promotion to help male rape victims would be a good idea, but I understand why there aren't TV ads warning against it.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    It makes me sad to know that there a members of society who need to be reminded that forced sex is rape
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    gets the point across loud and clear but they forget the fact that rape is not a one way street and women can rape aswell.
    The law says a man cannot be raped. It is classed as sexual assault.
    Which is extremely unfair as it belittles what a man who has experienced unwanted sex has gone through.
    The law is a bewildering.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I find it very uncomfortable to watch and do worry that it's a bit triggering. But it does make you think.

I think it's actually pretty good at what it does, i.e. targeting young guys who may pressure their girlfriends/whoever to have sex. We all know about seedy down-the-back-alley type rapists and this advert obviously isn't aimed at them, it's aimed to hopefully make guys think. All it would take would be for someone to have pressurised sex and a girl to snap and declare rape and their life is potentially ruined - if they realised this was an aspect of the situation from the get go (i.e. pressuring someone can equal rape) then their actions might change.

On the subject of men being raped, yes that does need addressing, but that wasn't the point of the advert. Though note it uses the word 'somebody' rather than 'her'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    touche :P
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)
    I understand that, but it is physically more difficult for a woman to rape a man than it is for a man to rape a woman. Strength aside, quite simply, unless drugged with something a man can't really have sex if he doesn't want to because he would need to be 'aroused'. On the other hand, there are many ways for a woman to be raped without being drugged.

Also, as for most cases not being reported that is included in the estimated statistics. An estimated 95% of rape cases where the woman is the victim are also not reported.

I do understand what you're saying but if you just look plainly at our society, it's easy to recognise that rape is a more common problem for women. I've never heard a male rape joke before with a chloroform / rohypnol pun. I've never heard any of my girl friends plan to get a guy drunk to take advantage of them but I've the inverse often.

No worries a bit of crossed wires pardon the pun, I meant man on man rape
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    No worries a bit of crossed wires pardon the pun, I meant man on man rape
    Ohh, yeah actually that could do with more ... I'm not sure if 'exposure' is the right word for it but more warnings about it.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evangelica)

Legally it's not just difficult, it's impossible. Though the legal precedent is that arousal does not equal consent(and people can have the physical affects of arousal without actually wanting sex). Obviously I agree it's much easier for a woman to be raped by a man though.

I suspect sexual assault on men is much less reported. I'm sure I read figures about that, but I can't remember where. It's a big issue for all sexual assault really.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slumpy)
    Legally it's not just difficult, it's impossible. Though the legal precedent is that arousal does not equal consent(and people can have the physical affects of arousal without actually wanting sex). Obviously I agree it's much easier for a woman to be raped by a man though.

I suspect sexual assault on men is much less reported. I'm sure I read figures about that, but I can't remember where. It's a big issue for all sexual assault really.
    You make good points, and I agree
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I think the device of having the guy looking at his own behaviour from the outside is a good one. It's not something I like seeing because I feel like my TV/computer is suggesting I'd be prone to raping someone, but that's neither here nor there really - if it does get men who are pushy about sex to look at their behaviour and realise how serious it is if they pressure a woman into sex, that can only be a good thing. I like the fact that the advert shows that rape can be something very different to a stranger in a dark alley attacking a woman, which might be the sort of image that many bring to mind when someone mentions 'rape'.

Obviously I'd assume you're just messing around with this, but as it's a very serious issue I'll respond just in case: this is exactly the kind of shockingly wrong opinion that results in many men thinking they can get away with forcing women into sex.
    True, but unfortunately these ads have to target all men to be able to target those who it would actually help. Same with most things - like those fishhook anti-smoking ads - I hated them, and they didn't apply to me at all, but if they stopped smoking, I'm glad they were there.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tudball)
    What about sex with someone who's indifferent?
    I wouldn't want to have sex with someone who's indifferent! Bit of a loss of passion lol!
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Technically, they can't, rape requires penetration with a penis. Yes, they can sexually assault, but the stats are VERY low, and ads have to target the more common crimes. However, I do agree it is important that EVERYONE gets the message, not just men.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think it's an excellent advert which people really need to take note of. Casual sex seems to becoming more and more common these days, and this is perfectly legal, just as long as it is fully consensual, from BOTH sides. What people sometimes forget to realise, is that rape can happen amongst "friends", when perhaps drink etc is involved, and one person doesn't actually want to. The offender hasn't set out with any intention of rape, but people can get carried away, and we ALL need to know this. I think the advert will serve as a good reminder to people, and make them think twice before acting - they might not realise their actions are classed as rape - and are therefore ILLEGAL.
    On a side note - the advert may feature a female being harassed by a male, but if you are to click on the advert and read the webpage - it does stress that sexual assault can be carried out by both genders - I think this a fair point.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.