The Student Room Group

What things do you want to see made legal/illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by meenu89
Squatting made illegal please.

Surely this depends on the type of squatter. Some people are exploitative and have an iPhone and Macbook, dress in designer clothes and have massive raves before moving on to their next squat. Some people really need a home and squat in abandoned or under/unused buildings. A blanket ban is not the way to go.

Anything that creates more hardship for the homeless, or threatens to make even more people lose their homes, is deeply wrong. Anything that gets rid of lifestyle squatters is fine in my book, however. Squatters in general have rights that are deeply engrained in common law, and that's for a good reason. Sure, they should be refined, but I fail to see why squatters who are living in otherwise unused or unwanted property should be evicted unless the landlord can actually propose a viable use for it and a roadmap about how they're going to achieve it. Too much property in this country is kept off of the market by speculators when there is a dire need for housing in this country, and I see no reason to waste it so as to permit a privileged few to deny shelter to other humans.
Those saying make tobacco illegal what you'll end up with is something similar to the prohibition of alcohol in the USA, where criminal gangs took over production and made horrible and dangerous alcohol which did a lot of harm, and also gave the criminal gangs a vast amount of power which took years to get rid of. The only way is to make people aware of the risks they are taking but more importantly the harm they are doing to others, then allow them to make their own choice.

Legalisation of weed is just obvious, not really any counter-argument to it. I'd say legalise all drugs, in fact. A safe supply of heroin for addicts would be a great benefit, but put a much, much harsher sentence on illegal dealers. We're talking life. It is pretty much the same as murder. There does, however, need to be a redistribution of funding to helping the victims of drug abuses rather than cracking down on the perpetrators.

Euthanasia also: The state have no right to intervene in such matters, it should be down to the individual, the family and medical experts. Obviously, there would need to be strict rules. But a blanket ban helps nothing.

I would also get rid of any of the 'anti-terror' laws that have been put in place to try and suppress freedom of speech. People should be able to protest where they want aboutt what they want, as long as it is not violent or inciting racial hatred or the likes, without being oppressed by the police.
To be legalised:

- Marijuana
- Euthanasia
- Samurai swords

To be made illegal:

- Charity workers accosting people in the street
- Evangelists preaching publicly
- Any strain of 'dangerous dog'
- The reading of poor literature
Reply 43
I'd like to see the taking of money by coercion (i.e. tax) made illegal - already illegal for muggers, burglars, etc, but not for government ministers. Don't see the difference.
Original post by TurboCretin
You think they're different, but should be treated the same, but cannabis should be legalised and tobacco banned?

Well, I'm confused.

No, I think they should both be either banned or legal. I can just understand why that user thought cannabis was less severe.
Original post by No Future
Alcohol has more benefits and fewer harms than tobacco, in moderation.

what benefits would these be?
i think i should point out its near as damn it impossible to die from chain smoking all day long whilst you can quite easily drink yourself to death in a day
plus tobacco has been scientifically proven to have certain health benefits [disregarding the obvious harms:rolleyes:]
Reply 46
Thought of another one to make illegal. Toast-butter-scrapings. I hate that ****. Who would re-spread that?? Something needs to be done.
Original post by oo00oo
I'd like to see the taking of money by coercion (i.e. tax) made illegal - already illegal for muggers, burglars, etc, but not for government ministers. Don't see the difference.

so youd like to see the NHS, Police, Armed Forces and all the benefits scrapped to?:rolleyes:
Original post by calumsteele1
i think i should point out its near as damn it impossible to die from chain smoking all day long whilst you can quite easily drink yourself to death in a day
plus tobacco has been scientifically proven to have certain health benefits [disregarding the obvious harms:rolleyes:]

You clearly didn't read my post.
Original post by Steevee
Any sort of Jegging, mini-skirt or micro-short above size 14 should be made illegal.

While working at Next, I was asked if we had pair of skin tight, leather effect leggings in a size 22. We did. I took a moral stand and lied to the customer.
You clearly didn't read my post.

i asked you what benefits there from drinking... you simply didnt answer?
Original post by oo00oo

Well there is a big difference. Care to explain how such a system would operate?
- Tobacco - a drug with no benefits and many harms

Asides the fact that it does have an effect upon people and... PEOPLE ENJOY IT?

/said as a non smoker that isn't a moron.

Original post by chrisawhitmore
While working at Next, I was asked if we had pair of skin tight, leather effect leggings in a size 22. We did. I took a moral stand and lied to the customer.

Haha. ;p

More so than the decriminalization of the countless things I don't believe should be criminalized, I'd like for the crimes that lead to prison sentences to be greatly reduced. A shoplifter should not be in ****ing prison. Prison should be used as a place for detaining individuals that pose a danger to others. Have criminals doing (meaningful) community service, forced labour, whatever. Have them make up to those they've wronged and contribute to society, don't just ****ing lock them up for a little bit and have them living at the expense of everyone else. Useless, stupid, archaic ****ing system.

edit: 'archaic' was a poor choice of word. We kinda have England to thank for the current use of prisons worldwide, sadly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 53
Alcohol
There are major differences between cannabis and tobacco. Tobacco carries virtually no positives but is addictive and causes serious damage to your health. Cannabis has both recreational and medicinal positives and is not addictive. For you to smoke enough weed to damage your health to the same level of a tobacco smoker you'd have to be stoned out of your ****ing mind every second of every day.

That is such a stupid argument I cannot even begin to exploit it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Everyone say legalise cannabis, sure most of us like getting high from time to time but can you not imagine the harm that people driving when high will cause? And what's worse, they cannot be arrested for it?
Original post by RollerBall
That is such a stupid argument I cannot even begin to exploit it.

There are major differences between cannabis and tobacco. Tobacco carries virtually no positives but is addictive and causes serious damage to your health. Cannabis has both recreational and medicinal positives and is not addictive. For you to smoke enough weed to damage your health to the same level of a tobacco smoker you'd have to be stoned out of your ****ing mind every second of every day.

lol aside from the fact that comment has nothing to do with smoking weed? learn to read. its simply talking about drinking and smoking.

oh and for the record tobacco does have certain medicinal properties.
lol aside from the fact that comment has nothing to do with smoking weed? learn to read. its simply talking about drinking and smoking.

oh and for the record tobacco does have certain medicinal properties.

Okay, what are these certain medicinal properties of tobacco that outweigh it's addictive properties? Is it possible to exploit there medicinal properties without becoming addicted and destroy your resp tract?

My second point of the post wasn't directed at you but I understand how you could construe it to be. Alcohol is for 99% non-addictive especially when used in moderation. You can also take full advantage of the positive effects of it without risking addiction/negative aspects at all until you start to take the piss.
Original post by meenu89
Squatting made illegal please.

It is in Scotland :biggrin:
Original post by RollerBall
Okay, what are these certain medicinal properties of tobacco that outweigh it's addictive properties? Is it possible to exploit there medicinal properties without becoming addicted and destroy your resp tract?

My second point of the post wasn't directed at you but I understand how you could construe it to be. Alcohol is for 99% non-addictive especially when used in moderation. You can also take full advantage of the positive effects of it without risking addiction/negative aspects at all until you start to take the piss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_benefits_of_smoking
whilst wikipedia itself isnt very reliable simply google it for more info.
i never said the medicinal benefits of it outweighed the harm it causes i simply said there are good points to it aswell. naturally, its generally speaking the nicotine which provides certain medicinal benefits so snuff and chewing tobacco would both count as undestructive to the airways, as for not being addictive... probably not but then again many of the neccesities in life are addictive aswell such as pain killers, coffe, alcohol etc.

ah well that may be theres always going to be a number of people who dont know when to quit ... i go past the local pub every morning on the way to college at about 8 and theres people having a cheeky pint :L but on your point of moderation it can be argued that smoking in moderation will do little to no harm aswell .. one cigarette a day is incredibly unlikely to cause any noticable or meaningful harm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending