The Student Room Group

What things do you want to see made legal/illegal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Legalize
-Euthanasia

Illegal
-Smoking in public, second hand smoke at bus stop is just gross.
-The only meat available being halal, if they can choose to eat halal, I want to be able to not eat halal. I dont want blessed food.
-Burka's...*braces oneself for negative rep onslaught* I agree with France's laws regarding them in England, just dont see how you can see to drive etc in them??
Original post by Dr. Bassman
I wasn't directly addressing you.

It's got nothing to do with risks vs benefits. It's about liberty. Who the hell is anyone to say that I can't fill my body with crap up if I want to? I can legally drink myself to death, eat fast food everyday, overdose on painkillers etc. so why can't I take other drugs?

If you think the benefits don't outweigh the benefits then it's quite simple, don't take them! I like smoking, I like drinking but I don't do either of them because I know they're bad for me. I can make those decisions for myself because I'm not a moron and if someone doesn't care about their health then they should have the right to smoke and drink as they please! It's absurd that you can call someone a criminal for something that only directly harms them.

So you think heroin and cocaine should be legal then?
Original post by jismith1989
Not gonna happen, the venture capitalists who own Wonga donate too much to the Conservatives. We are the only country in the EU (if I remember rightly; if not, we're one of only a few) not to have a maximum rate of interest though.

No, I just lean out of the window when I feel the urge coming.

You mean a maximum rate of interest set by law.

The actual maximum is set by the market. If they price too highly they will suffer.
Original post by SoulfulBoy
So cannabis has benefits, eh? :rolleyes:

yes, it does
Reply 164
Original post by jenni00004
Make Abortion illegal.

there is no justification for killing a baby in the womb

So someone who has been raped has to have a kid they dont even want??
Its not killing anyway.
Reply 165
I'd like to see Piers Morgan made illegal.
Reply 166
Cannabis - legal!
Anything to do with offshore bank accounts / tax evasion should be cracked down on more.
In my humble opinion :wink:
Original post by No Future
So you think heroin and cocaine should be legal then?

Of course.
Reply 168
so you would you rather kill it because 'u dnt want it' than give it up for abortion after you've given birth to it so at least it will be cared for.

abortion is a process whereby they terminate the life a baby - my friend it is killing.

It is a foetus. A bunch of cells entirely dependent on its mother.
I agree with abortion until point of viability, when it can survive without it's mother, its classed as a person.
Also "just give it up" would not be as easy as you seem to think. They have to go through the pain of giving birth and seeing this child and being preggo for 9 months and constantly reminded of the ordeal.
There aren't enough people willing to adopt either+ loads more kids in care means increase in taxes.

Your very narrow minded... I would like to see you talk to people I have known in situations where they had to decide.
Original post by Greenlaner
Seriously? Dont you think that would just encourage criminals to act with even more impunity? And why should anybody be forced to just allow some piece of trash to take their hard earned, possibly even treasured or sentimental possessions without putting up a fight? If a burglar doesnt want to get stabbed or shot then he shouldnt have decided to become a burglar in the first place, its as simple as that.

The point being that regardless of being a burglar, they are still human, and thus their well-being is more important than any property. It is an absolute for me that humans should always be put before property.
Reply 170
Original post by TheDefiniteArticle
The point being that regardless of being a burglar, they are still human, and thus their well-being is more important than any property. It is an absolute for me that humans should always be put before property.

Agreed. In this scenario, it should only be legal to hurt someone who is hurting you. If they are just stealing your stuff, you shouldnt be able to hurt or kill them.
Original post by tomp33
It is a foetus. A bunch of cells entirely dependent on its mother.
I agree with abortion until point of viability, when it can survive without it's mother, its classed as a person.
Also "just give it up" would not be as easy as you seem to think. They have to go through the pain of giving birth and seeing this child and being preggo for 9 months and constantly reminded of the ordeal.
There aren't enough people willing to adopt either+ loads more kids in care means increase in taxes.

Your very narrow minded... I would like to see you talk to people I have known in situations where they had to decide.

a babys heart beat develops at around 18-21 days- the baby has a heartbeat and therefore it is alive

if you truly do not want the baby, you would feel sooo much better giving it up for adoption than killing it - even if its not going to be adopted at the end of the day you have given it a chance to grow and live his or her dreams - everyone is born to earth to be someone great - God has a purpose and plan for everyone borned to this earth

oh so bcoz of taxes your gonna kill it , nahhh mate thats just wrong
Reply 172
Legalise:

Incest in terms of siblings (no personal reasons, but as long as they prevent genetic damages by using preservatives I do not see how the state has any right to intervene in the consensual private affairs of two independent, grown-up individuals)

Euthanasia (it's no ones right to decide against the will of someone who suffers and wants to die)

Prohibit:

Smoking in public (it harms everyone around to an extent which comes close to corporal injury, especially children exposed to their parents' smoking habits)

Drinking whilst pregnant (pretty much self-explanatory)

American English (makes me want to cut my wrists)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 173
a babys heart beat develops at around 18-21 days- the baby has a heartbeat and therefore it is alive

if you truly do not want the baby, you would feel sooo much better giving it up for adoption than killing it - even if its not going to be adopted at the end of the day you have given it a chance to grow and live his or her dreams - everyone is born to earth to be someone great - God has a purpose and plan for everyone borned to this earth

oh so bcoz of taxes your gonna kill it , nahhh mate thats just wrong

I never said because of taxes as a reason on its own.
And now I see the reason for your stupid narrow mind.
Your religious.
I refuse to argue with religious people about abortion.
yes, it does

What benefits it has for people? 'Feeling good/high' does not count as benefit, btw.
What benefits it has for people? 'Feeling good/high' does not count as benefit, btw.

Why does that not count as a benefit?
Why does that not count as a benefit?

There are so many things that do that AND are not harmless for people. So cannabis has no advantage.
Original post by Dr. Bassman
Of course.

You say people should have freedom to do as they please.

In this case why have any laws at all?
(edited 12 years ago)
There are so many things that do that AND are not harmless for people. So cannabis has no advantage.

eh?
Original post by tomp33
I never said because of taxes as a reason on its own.
And now I see the reason for your stupid narrow mind.
Your religious.
I refuse to argue with religious people about abortion.

i have quite an open mind tbh and yes im a Christian :smile: i would rather give up 9 months of my life and give it to adoption/care and let it live out his/her dreams than to kill it - gotta think sometimes

its ok i respect your opinion but i personally think its wrong and were killing a generation of people who could grow to be great people, ur living ur dreams well to be alive and live is a miracle in its self so why not give someone a chance ?

its almost like the holocost - where a whole generation of people were killed wiped out bcoz one man thought that they were the cause of all things bad and that these people were good for nothing - you cant just abort a pregnancy because you wont be able to look after it or you dont want it - what adoption there for - care homes it gives people the chance to grow and live :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending