The Student Room Group

Can you judge someone based on their music taste?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, you can. I don't see anything wrong with someone's music taste being a factor when 'judging' somebody, it shows quite a lot about the person.
Original post by Drunk Punx
Depends. If you're going by the typical Indie Rock band such as The Kaiser Chiefs, I'd bolt like a shot because I can't stand them :tongue:

Such people are also likely to listen to Amy Winehouse, Kaiser Chiefs, Oasis, Radiohead, The Stereophonics, and a whole other host of bands I dislike.
So to save myself grief and to save them having to put up with me bitching about their boring tastes in music, I just leave them to it. Granted, not everybody's going to like the same sort of stuff I do (which covers a fair portion of the metal sub-genres and most of the punk sub-genres), but listening to nothing but Indie Rock constantly would do my head in (no offence).

That being said, I see your point; more people are going to be into that sort of stuff.

This is what I was getting at. I was a bit unclear so sorry for that but yeah :P

One thing I would like to say though... How have you lumped Radiohead in with that lot :s-smilie: I'm serious, that makes me feel genuinely sad! I so strongly dislike indie and Radiohead have so far surpassed most other music I have heard in the last few years. I thought the same thing when I first heard them. The rather cliché guitar etc. etc. but then I relistened a few times and it has seriously grown on me.

Listen to this and tell me it's indie/boring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVPDaKKe00&feature=fvst
Reply 22
To be honest, it can vary massively. For example, I'm not fussy about what i listen to (as long as it's not screaming heavy metal), but if someone is overly obsessed with a certain group/singer e.g. Justin Bieber, i would try and avoid them
Original post by JordanR

I actually think you'd be incredibly surprised at how many people who do this are scientifically minded. Music is quite methodical and can therefore be analysed reasonably easily using simple mathematics (seeing how certain notes in a scale or pattern actually relate to the rest of the song as a whole, for example). I'm quite maths-minded and there's nothing better than listening to a piece of music and escaping into it, listening to every note and subtle nuance of the music. People who smoke weed and stuff probably seem deep and insightful to themselves, but I wouldn't necessarily say they are.

Just my observations, yah know. I know a fair few scientists/mathematicians and nearly none of them really have a mature music taste. By that I mean that they might enjoy music, but they don't really develop their own taste or whatever. But really the people I've had the best conversation with about music (genre irrelevant) have been people who study music or fine art and what have you.

There are exceptions. I once met a super physics geek kinda guy, yah know, the stereotypical geek, from Imperial College London, at Sonisphere and went to see Opeth with him and totally loved it. My dad studied comp sci and he has a pretty good music taste as well. I also know some 'artsy' people with some pretty atrocious, follow the crowd kinda music tastes. But they also tend to be pretty bad at art...

With regard to cannabis use, I'm sure I read a study that found a positive correlation between drug use and intelligence... I don't think it's the stuff you say when you're high that represents how smart someone is, that's always rubbish ('What if we're all just characters in a giant computer game, being controlled by some crazy giant 8-year-old from outer-space'; 'what if colours don't actually exist' etc. etc. etc.). What I was referring to more was the kind of open-mindedness to try new things, think about abstract (if incredibly wacky) ideas, which is also kind of conducive to an openness to a lot of different music, and a lot more philosophical music which the majority of 'mainstreamers' would find boring or whatever.

I did, however, state in my post that these were just observations not fact :biggrin: I'm glad you're mathsy and like music. Now I think about it, philosophy, one of the most traditionally wishy-washy stoner subjects, is actually full of maths (logic) so you're probably right, mathsy minds aren't excluded from open mindedness :biggrin:
Reply 24
Original post by Obfuscator
Just my observations, yah know. I know a fair few scientists/mathematicians and nearly none of them really have a mature music taste. By that I mean that they might enjoy music, but they don't really develop their own taste or whatever. But really the people I've had the best conversation with about music (genre irrelevant) have been people who study music or fine art and what have you.

There are exceptions. I once met a super physics geek kinda guy, yah know, the stereotypical geek, from Imperial College London, at Sonisphere and went to see Opeth with him and totally loved it. My dad studied comp sci and he has a pretty good music taste as well. I also know some 'artsy' people with some pretty atrocious, follow the crowd kinda music tastes. But they also tend to be pretty bad at art...

With regard to cannabis use, I'm sure I read a study that found a positive correlation between drug use and intelligence... I don't think it's the stuff you say when you're high that represents how smart someone is, that's always rubbish ('What if we're all just characters in a giant computer game, being controlled by some crazy giant 8-year-old from outer-space'; 'what if colours don't actually exist' etc. etc. etc.). What I was referring to more was the kind of open-mindedness to try new things, think about abstract (if incredibly wacky) ideas, which is also kind of conducive to an openness to a lot of different music, and a lot more philosophical music which the majority of 'mainstreamers' would find boring or whatever.

I did, however, state in my post that these were just observations not fact :biggrin: I'm glad you're mathsy and like music. Now I think about it, philosophy, one of the most traditionally wishy-washy stoner subjects, is actually full of maths (logic) so you're probably right, mathsy minds aren't excluded from open mindedness :biggrin:

That's interesting actually -- quite a lot of the intellectuals I know (regardless of their field) have a deep appreciation and love for music. I guess this is the inherent problem with having a minute sample size! :tongue:

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I know a few so-called lovers of music and arty types who just follow the crowd with music and only listen to what's in the charts too, and yes, they're all pretty bad! Definitely a correlation there.

Yes, self-destructive behaviour correlates with high intelligence. Possibly because of the link between intelligence and curiosity. There are links between intelligence and alcohol abuse and usage of psychoactive drugs too.

A lot of people have actually tendered accusations that people like Bach and Mozart are "mathemusicians" rather than pure musicians -- purely because their music is "perfect", mathematically/musically speaking. You can definitely hear this when you listen to them (less with Bach, though). And yes, definitely :wink: Maths is one of the most abstract and conceptually "woah" subjects around.
I don't really judge anyone based on music taste. However, if they judge me I shall judge them back. There isn't really a point. In a way I suppose you would get along better with someone that listens to similar music to you, so that there is more to talk about. Apart from that, I don't really see how it is an appropriate reason to judge anyone.
In a way, yes. I tend to have a little more respect for people who like to listen to a large range of music genres, and a mix of mainstream and non-mainstream music, as it shows that they're quite open minded and less likely to be snobby about music than people who stick to about one particular style of music (particularly the styles that are less mainstream).

Original post by sugar3str
i'd say the only people that should be judged by their music taste would be those that exclusively listen to the music on the radio / in the charts and do not find bands / producers out for themselves and therefore have a music taste suited to them, instead they blindly follow the artists they are spoonfed. these people are fools

I don't understand your attitude. Why is someone only listening to chart music such a problem? We all have different interests and some people might have more bigger priorities in their lives than trying to seek out some underground music. It's a bit like a horse-riding fanatic saying people are dumb lazy slobs for not wanting to try horse-riding.
Original post by JordanR
That's interesting actually -- quite a lot of the intellectuals I know (regardless of their field) have a deep appreciation and love for music. I guess this is the inherent problem with having a minute sample size! :tongue:

Yeah, that's pretty cool. I know a few so-called lovers of music and arty types who just follow the crowd with music and only listen to what's in the charts too, and yes, they're all pretty bad! Definitely a correlation there.

Yes, self-destructive behaviour correlates with high intelligence. Possibly because of the link between intelligence and curiosity. There are links between intelligence and alcohol abuse and usage of psychoactive drugs too.

A lot of people have actually tendered accusations that people like Bach and Mozart are "mathemusicians" rather than pure musicians -- purely because their music is "perfect", mathematically/musically speaking. You can definitely hear this when you listen to them (less with Bach, though). And yes, definitely :wink: Maths is one of the most abstract and conceptually "woah" subjects around.

Haha yes I suppose that's probably the case. There's almost certainly a correlation between intelligence and music taste, probably regardless of field. But I suppose that's just kind of logical, really.

And personally I wouldn't say smoking weed is self destructive, or done in a consciously self destructive manner, but that's a very different debate :biggrin:

And yes I think such labels are only half justified, though. While numerous musicians have tried to write music from a mathematical perspective, trying to find the most mathematically beautiful/perfect harmonies and what have you to varying degrees of success, I think generally this label is put on musicians inaccurately. Most of the time they write music from the soul: What sounds best in their heart and other such wishy-washy sentimentalisms. It just so happens that the reason for this beauty can be described mathematically. It reminds me of studying English Lit, you read all these crazy things into a text to try to explain why it works, and in countless interviews, said authors simply say 'This is definitely not what I was thinking when I wrote it' [Example]
Original post by Nice Marmite
This is what I was getting at. I was a bit unclear so sorry for that but yeah :P

One thing I would like to say though... How have you lumped Radiohead in with that lot :s-smilie: I'm serious, that makes me feel genuinely sad! I so strongly dislike indie and Radiohead have so far surpassed most other music I have heard in the last few years. I thought the same thing when I first heard them. The rather cliché guitar etc. etc. but then I relistened a few times and it has seriously grown on me.

Listen to this and tell me it's indie/boring: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDVPDaKKe00&feature=fvst

I've never been a big fan of Radiohead, it's nothing personal :tongue:
Rock, to me, is AC/DC, Led Zep, Def Leppard, etc etc. Any rock released in this day and age I generally don't bother listening to because it lacks the balls that rock had "back in the day" (ie; when these bands first came about and started developing).
Reply 29
I like Justin Bieber, you could imagine the judgement made about me :rolleyes:
Rock, to me, is AC/DC, Led Zep, Def Leppard, etc etc. Any rock released in this day and age I generally don't bother listening to because it lacks the balls that rock had "back in the day" (ie; when these bands first came about and started developing).

That's fair enough. I think it comes down to differing tastes then. Personally I don't like rock of any description and wouldn't class Radiohead as rock (I don't think they like being called a rock band either tbh).
Apparently I look like the kind of girl who listens to classical and jazz.

Classical I don't mind, jazz I hate. I actually listen to rock of (almost) every description :proud:

I don't think I can be judged on music taste alone.

:five:! I've never seen why Radiohead are so popular on here, I think they're quite boring.

If you like AC/DC then you're bound to like Airbourne (a current band)!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
I'm not sure about judging, I probably do, but I definitely have SO much more respect and attraction towards people who have a more solid music taste. For example not just club music, it delves into classic rock, acoustics, emo genres, pop punk etc. Not the mainstream, not the popularity.
People think I like Dance music by the way I look :lol: but they don't know that my favourite music genre is Metal :biggrin: but I do listen to a lot of genres but that is my favourite ^^
It's more likely that I'll get on with someone that has a genuine interest in music than someone that doesn't, so I discriminate to an extent on that basis.
Reply 35
It's not the music, it's how they play it.

I.e. I don't care if someone likes listening to 50 cent and Mr Ferrari. But I will care if they start "Shankin' hoes 'nd puppin' caps in der ass".
It's possible but imo it's not a very good way to get an accurate judgement.
Although, I suppose it really depends on the person because in my case my music taste is horrible pretty eclectic and my personality and pretty much everything about me corresponds with this. I can get bored easily if I have to experience the same thing over and over and over again so I need the diversity to keep me sane :h:
Reply 37
Original post by JordanR
A lot of people have actually tendered accusations that people like Bach and Mozart are "mathemusicians" rather than pure musicians -- purely because their music is "perfect", mathematically/musically speaking. You can definitely hear this when you listen to them

Oh really? What do you hear?
Only if they like boybands. This is not me being elitist but boyband fans are nearly always immature, dim and extremely irritating. This is what I have observed.

Any other music fan (including pop fans), the music they like does not reveal their personality.
Of course you can. Haven't you heard? Metalheads are violent and want to kill people, people who like rap also want to kill people (via drive-by shooting in a pimped-out car), people who like classical music are stuck-up gits and people who like house music are retarded. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest