Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Books to Avoid

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stu the cockatoo is new at the zoo. Birds scare me. Hopefully someone will know where I got the book name from
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a rule any book that the author intends to be a series of more than 3 that you begin reading at 13, the same age as the main character, and by the time the next book finishes you can no longer relate to the charecter.

Also the ending to His Dark Materials left me so upset and jaded that I almost wish I never read it, the same with 1984 but i think this is the point of the book.

Basically anything that doesn't end in a happy ending. I almost boycotted Harry Potter when someone told me that Ron and Hermione get together to be honest.

Of mice and men bored me half to death aswell, although im not sure this is the books fault.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeter than a cherry pie)
    It was pants. I could see what the author was trying to do, but he didn't succeed. At all. Perhaps a lot of it got lost in the translation to English, but still...
    Yeah, I've heard a lot gets lost in the translation from English to English. But, I mean, since you can read Ishiguro's mind and know exactly what he was trying to do and how he failed, that's probably just unnecessary information that would be cluttering up your completely justified evaluation.

This isn't the best post I've written, but I'm sure that's alright since you can bring your mind-reading skills to bear on it and let me know what I was trying to say and how I failed.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    All the vampire and demon books by Darren Shan. If someone gave them to you they would still be a waste of money.
    I really enjoyed them when I read them (well the demon ones anyway).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    As a rule any book that the author intends to be a series of more than 3 that you begin reading at 13, the same age as the main character, and by the time the next book finishes you can no longer relate to the charecter.

Also the ending to His Dark Materials left me so upset and jaded that I almost wish I never read it, the same with 1984 but i think this is the point of the book.

Basically anything that doesn't end in a happy ending. I almost boycotted Harry Potter when someone told me that Ron and Hermione get together to be honest.

Of mice and men bored me half to death aswell, although im not sure this is the books fault.

(Original post by brittanna)
    Stu the cockatoo is new at the zoo. Birds scare me. Hopefully someone will know where I got the book name from
    BIG BANG THEORY WOO!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popple7)
    the dog just looks so happy.... and you're all like "i hate this... i hate this... i hate humanity...". maybe it's the hangover, maybe it's all the chocolate ive eaten, but it made me smile
    Lmao. I hate bull**** books but I love dogs.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    One Day.

It was terrible, normally I love romance books, but this just dragged. I felt nothing for the central characters. And the ending was really abrupt. It just felt like the author got bored, and decided 'oh, I'm going to just finish now - I really want that cup of tea'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    All the vampire and demon books by Darren Shan. If someone gave them to you they would still be a waste of money.
    ;( I liked his demonata series
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeneralOJB)
    The Selfish gene.. urgh, I'm sure the entire book could easily be summarised in two pages. I didn't really enjoy it and couldn't wait to put it down, which is a shame because a lot of the concepts and theories discussed are very interesting, but he just goes on and on rambling.
    Run out of negs, so I'll just do this: :unimpressed:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts is one to avoid, I realised this about half way through.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James4d)
    Middlemarch- it makes Pride and Prejudice seem fast-paced and exciting.

In fact, it is Pride and Prejudice- except that nothing happens. For 700 pages.

Pillars of the Earth is also very poorly written. But the storyline is gripping so I'm not sure where I stand on it...
    I know exactly what you mean! Did enjoy the book but sometimes how badly written it was distracted me too much. And so many scenes ended with the phrase 'and everything went black', I stopped counting...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    It - Stephen King. Such long drawn out rubbish.

Moby Dick - it gets too heavy with the philisophical side after a while

Lord of the flies - immensely disappointing. Maybe it's best read as a school kid.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm coming back for some more
    "The Shipping News" - Annie Proulx
    I thought the book would never end! The main character was still as unlikeable and irritating as he was at the beginning of the book and as far as I could glean there was absolutely no point to the book, nothing happened, absolutely nothing. I'm actually quite staggered that Proulx managed to fill the 300 hundred or so pages in the book; it's quite a talent being able to write thousands of words and convey no meaningful statement what so ever.

(Original post by Harpoon)
    Explain Clive Cussler?
    Explain? Do I need to expain? Have you read the so called "literature" he's produced? My illiterate 2 year old sister could do better.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PJ07)
    I really love the fantasy genre but dam I could not get through Robert Jordan's work the Wheel of time, read a couple and just didn't like it all.
    Same, actually. Got through half of Eye of the World. I think it's a good story, just a bit slow compared to what I'm used to and such. Not to 'avoid' though.

Hmm. Bad books. Give me a moment to think... I know one, but I can't remember its name at the moment.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    Ulysses by James Joyce. I had to read it for university, and even with multiple guidebooks I couldn't make head or tail of it. Perhaps if I'd spent longer puzzling it out I would have got more from it, but if you just want a decent book to read I'd suggest that you steer well clear.
    I thought that its a renowned book :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My Boyfriend is Older than my Dad
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can recommend The New Bloomsday Book by Harry Blamires if you're struggling - I found it helpful, as it breaks the novel down into episodes and explains what's going on in each one. But yeah, Ulysses is pretty horrendous. I'm glad I only had to spend a week writing about it.
    Seems a bit of a shame though- spending an eternity reading a novel, then after one week you're on to another one. Ah well, suppose that's what English lit courses are about. Ty for the recommendation, might check that out

What age did you read them? Darren Shan, along with JK Rowling, was basically my pre teen fiction. Few books have sucked me in as much as his did- but I would never read him now because I'm pretty sure, despite the blood and gore, his books are aimed at a young audience (10-15)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsfuntimes)
    I know exactly what you mean! Did enjoy the book but sometimes how badly written it was distracted me too much. And so many scenes ended with the phrase 'and everything went black', I stopped counting...
    YES! So glad I'm not the only one. Everyone who's read it seems shocked when I tell them he's a poor writer. I mean, why does he have to use italics in descriptions!? (e.g. 'Tom lifted her robe. There was blood everywhere).

And the way he has to explain. Every. Damn. Thing. In case the readers are brain dead. ('he took out a knife, which worried Tom, as a knife was deadlier than his hammer.' ). Then there's editing errors (not capitalising the 'His' in phrases referring to God).

Sorry, rant over. It just annoys me because the novel had such potential
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimBa14)
    Explain? Do I need to expain? Have you read the so called "literature" he's produced? My illiterate 2 year old sister could do better.
    Sure do. I have the majority of his Dirk Pitt books and about half his Kurt Austin and Oregon books and I find them thoroughly enjoyable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ulysses by James Joyce. I had to read it for university, and even with multiple guidebooks I couldn't make head or tail of it. Perhaps if I'd spent longer puzzling it out I would have got more from it, but if you just want a decent book to read I'd suggest that you steer well clear.
    Ulysses is one of the greatest novels written post industrial revolution. Sure it's fairly complex, but just because you're not clever enough to understand it doesn't mean it's bad.

Jesus, half of the posts in this thread are just mind-numbingly stupid. "HURF I didn't understand book X. It's not that I'm vapid, stupid and ignorant, because I've spent my entire life being reassured by my parents that I'm gifted and talented so that obviously isn't the case. No, this book is just a bad book and nobody else can enjoy it because I am basically the bees knees when it comes to reading comprehension. "

Literature is subjective to a certain degree, but there are a number of objective standards by which they can be judged. "I didn't understand it" is not one of them. ****ing stop it. All of you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.