Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Books to Avoid

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    Thesaurus.

No one needs to use a thesaurus unless they are actually striving to be a pretentious twunt.
    Profesh has (at least) three other accounts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    Sure do. I have the majority of his Dirk Pitt books and about half his Kurt Austin and Oregon books and I find them thoroughly enjoyable.
    So lets talk about "Arctic Drift" the one Cussler novel I actually managed to get through, forcing myself to read the last 100 pages or so. Right where to begin? The characters - they are as dimensional as a singularity, a point. They have no depth to them what so ever. The "bad guy" was exactly that a "bad guy" motivated by greed whose predictability was only outmatched by his conformation to stereotype. The assassin was determined to try and kill in the most elaborate ways ignoring stealth, as if trying to attract attention to himself. I'm amazed he wasn't caught and locked up years ago.
    The plot - I thought it was very poor, he must have done almost no research for this book and the foundations for any good book is either a dazzling imagination or thorough research, sadly this book had neither. I know this isn't a scientific journal but honestly? He seriously wants the reader to believe Ruthenium, an element I'm sure he chose by closing his eyes and jabbing at a periodic table, could somehow break down Carbon Dioxide (not even the major compound that contributed to the greenhouse effect) by artificial photosynthesis? I'm sure most 10 year old kids would question that. The whole thing felt very preachy to me and I could almost feel Al Gore's presence in the book. I tend to watch my carbon footprint: solar panels, walking and cycling most places, turning off lights etc. but I just got sick of his "subtle" Global Warming agenda. The linking in of the arctic voyage in the past with the present felt very forced and rather unnecessary. It seemed like an exercise in ego boosting, I'm sure he loved that he could do it but did it add anything to the story?
    The prose - again this was flawed and, in some places, down-right laughable. It was very cliched "he felt the icy grip of death" and frankly puerile, this work could have been produced in an amateur creative writing class. I found it jilted and in places unreadable.
    If you like it thats fine, this is just my opinion on the book; but if you ever want to read a decent book try something like "On Chesil Beach" or "The Master and Margarita".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimBa14)
    So lets talk about "Arctic Drift" the one Cussler novel I actually managed to get through, forcing myself to read the last 100 pages or so. Right where to begin? The characters - they are as dimensional as a singularity, a point. They have no depth to them what so ever. The "bad guy" was exactly that a "bad guy" motivated by greed whose predictability was only outmatched by his conformation to stereotype. The assassin was determined to try and kill in the most elaborate ways ignoring stealth, as if trying to attract attention to himself. I'm amazed he wasn't caught and locked up years ago.
    The plot - I thought it was very poor, he must have done almost no research for this book and the foundations for any good book is either a dazzling imagination or thorough research, sadly this book had neither. I know this isn't a scientific journal but honestly? He seriously wants the reader to believe Ruthenium, an element I'm sure he chose by closing his eyes and jabbing at a periodic table, could somehow break down Carbon Dioxide (not even the major compound that contributed to the greenhouse effect) by artificial photosynthesis? I'm sure most 10 year old kids would question that. The whole thing felt very preachy to me and I could almost feel Al Gore's presence in the book. I tend to watch my carbon footprint: solar panels, walking and cycling most places, turning off lights etc. but I just got sick of his "subtle" Global Warming agenda. The linking in of the arctic voyage in the past with the present felt very forced and rather unnecessary. It seemed like an exercise in ego boosting, I'm sure he loved that he could do it but did it add anything to the story?
    The prose - again this was flawed and, in some places, down-right laughable. It was very cliched "he felt the icy grip of death" and frankly puerile, this work could have been produced in an amateur creative writing class. I found it jilted and in places unreadable.
    If you like it thats fine, this is just my opinion on the book; but if you ever want to read a decent book try something like "On Chesil Beach" or "The Master and Margarita".
    I'm not going to attack your points as you are most probably are right. However the main quality that I look for in books is to be immersed in the story. And Cussler manages to do that. They may not be the best books in the world but I at least find them enjoyable and can actually get into them. And isn't that what reading is meant to give you? A sense of enjoyment? These are of course just our opinions and I respect yours, I'm just trying to give an opposing view.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any novels written by Virginia Woolf, unless you are having trouble sleeping, I would never recommend her.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    War and Peace. Too long and too dull.
    Wow, are you kidding me...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anything by Scott McElhaney!

I was trawling Amazon for some cheap sci-fi novels to fill my Kindle up with. I wasn't expecting anything remarkable, so I picked up his Event Horizon for less than £1. Turns out he's a Fundamentalist Christian author, and by a third of the way in the anti-atheist propaganda was so thick and ridiculous it became insulting! Atheists want to wipe out Christians, destroy the world and what not.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laozi)
    Wow, are you kidding me...
    I'm not actually. It wasn't worth reading. It isn't that I can't bear long books - I read The Count of Monte Cristo, and it was brilliant. It's that I can't bear dull books. And War and Peace was dull.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harpoon)
    I'm not going to attack your points as you are most probably are right. However the main quality that I look for in books is to be immersed in the story. And Cussler manages to do that. They may not be the best books in the world but I at least find them enjoyable and can actually get into them. And isn't that what reading is meant to give you? A sense of enjoyment? These are of course just our opinions and I respect yours, I'm just trying to give an opposing view.
    To be fair I've heard that his earlier stuff is better so maybe I shouldn't have writen "avoid ALL Cussler", I just know that when I read arctic drift I didn't like it. Maybe I'll try one of his earlier works and see if I like it, and if not then hey some books aren't for everybody.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimBa14)
    To be fair I've heard that his earlier stuff is better so maybe I shouldn't have writen "avoid ALL Cussler", I just know that when I read arctic drift I didn't like it. Maybe I'll try one of his earlier works and see if I like it, and if not then hey some books aren't for everybody.
    Yeah, fair play. What other authors do you like?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Lovely Bones. Such a disappointment—a story narrated by a murdered girl in heaven, what a concept. But it turned out that 'heaven', in the author's imagination, is just a place where Susie Salmon waits around and watches her loved ones go on with their boring lives, until it's finally time for her to be reborn on Earth. I never understood the hype; it's so dull I couldn't even get through the whole thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wolf Hall - the only book I have started but never finished
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wings27)
    Wolf Hall - the only book I have started but never finished
    I started Wolf Hall but stopped after two chapters.
    If you want engrossing stories of yesteryear i recommend Bernard Cornwell ( Azincourt is terrific ) and AJ Sansom.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    I started Wolf Hall but stopped after two chapters.
    If you want engrossing stories of yesteryear i recommend Bernard Cornwell ( Azincourt is terrific ) and AJ Sansom.
    Azincourt is brilliant
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elenii)
    The Lovely Bones. Such a disappointment—a story narrated by a murdered girl in heaven, what a concept. But it turned out that 'heaven', in the author's imagination, is just a place where Susie Salmon waits around and watches her loved ones go on with their boring lives, until it's finally time for her to be reborn on Earth. I never understood the hype; it's so dull I couldn't even get through the whole thing.
    so much better than the film though, i thought. the film was so disappointing! i dont know if you've seen it so i wont mention anything, but lets just say they changed a lot of it, and they cut out giant chunks of it
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have never recovered after reading Angela's Ashes when I was 12. We had to do a book report on a diary or autobiography. When I asked if I liked it I wrote "NO, I do not want to read this book ever again." I wouldn't have finished it if everyone else hadn't cleared out the shelf of literally every other book available, leaving me with no choice but to do my report on that. And plus the worst part was near the end. Actually, I don't think I did finish it. I reached the rather detailed description of sex, snapped the book shut and left it behind my sofa until I was made to fish it out. I'm not even sure if it was badly written, but how in the world it was thought suitable for a (at the time very innocent) 12 year old, I'll never know. I've changed a lot since then though, perhaps if I'd read it now I wouldn't hate it so much.

I'm in two minds about Never Let Me Go. There was just something about it that didn't really capture me. I felt sleepy every time I tried to read it. It seemed a bit disjointed, which I suppose is because it's the order the character is remembering it, but things would be hinted at and never picked up again, which I wasn't fond of. Or perhaps I'm remembering it wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Probably gonna get a hell of a neggin for saying this but here goes;

1984 by George Orwell

Everyone I know who's read it, has always said how amazing this book is (my friend persuaded me to read it recently), im about 3/4 way in, and something has finally just happened! The book is so slow, there's only so much setting the atmosphere you can do, the story in a nutshell from start to mid-part 2 (then at end of part 2, something happens) is; Guy goes to work, goes home, sleeps and dreams, goes to work again, goes for a pint in a pub with a old guy, meets young lady and discusses where to have sex, have sex in field, meets with young lady again and discusses where to have sex, has sex in a church, meets young lady and discusses where to have sex, has sex in room above shop (several times)....

This is not my sort of book, it's slow, drawn out and predictable, if anything happens to impress me in the last quarter of this book, I will change this post, It *may* be that it's one of those books you need to read twice to appreciate, but I don't know.

I'll stick to horrors and thrillers in future.

I'm sorry if this post offends/horrifies anyone else as much as it offended my friend when i was telling her i didn't like the book so far :P
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kog)
    Probably gonna get a hell of a neggin for saying this but here goes;

1984 by George Orwell

Everyone I know who's read it, has always said how amazing this book is (my friend persuaded me to read it recently), im about 3/4 way in, and something has finally just happened!

I think thats kind of the point of the book, the end chapters are much better
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House MD)
    What!? I completely disagree. Could you explain why?
    It has to be the most boring book ever. I gave up after the first two chapters.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would ever tell someone to avoid a book. There are lots of books I didn't like but I wouldn't deter anyone from reading them, make up your own mind.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by When you see it...)
    Any book that is turned into a movie - why waste dozens of hours reading them when you can watch them in a 2-hour movie?
    Okay, bump. To you 12 people - why do you disagree?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.