Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to do a computer science degree but...

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I need advice. I'm currently on holiday in Canada and not a second goes by when I'm not panicking. Basically I want to go into computer science but I'm worried I haven't achieved high enough. I took as levels, where I did badly and got BED in sociology, geography and APPLIED ICT. Now I took applied ICT thinking it was going to be more hands on ICT which is what I like, but it's more like business studies so I never really enjoyed it and never got stuck in. Now I'm approaching the end of my a2 year and I've applied for a foundation degree in computer science at my local course offering a 120 UCAS point entry requirement. I can easily get this I am confident, however I went to the interview and they were very impressed. They then asked for a D or higher in applied ICT for my final a level. I talked to my ICT teacher and he said I should get this but I am absolutely swamped in work at the moment and all I can think of is not getting the D and what the hell am I gonna do after?! So I have a few options. I was looking at trainee jobs, now the first question is do you need a degree for a trainee job? Secondly I was thinking about retaking year 13, but then I thought they are only interested in my ICT so could I use my year 13 year to retake year 12 and year 13 applied ICT at the same time? I'm sure my school would let me I just need some advice because I'm getting really down about this and I'm not too sure what to do anymore, thankyou guys.:confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Another option is completely redoing my a levels in different subjects, for example biology physics and Maths. What do you guys think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't say I'm in the same position, however I would have thought it would be better to restart completely as university fees are so expensive now. Better to take more time and be prepared for the course than to blunder straight ahead in my opinion. Can anyone else who has been in a similar situation shed some light on the matter?

A
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking if I don't get in I'm gonna retake year 12 and 13 ICT in a year and only do ICT. Would that be possible?
    • 37 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Uyfgfar)
    Hey guys, I need advice. I'm currently on holiday in Canada and not a second goes by when I'm not panicking. Basically I want to go into computer science but I'm worried I haven't achieved high enough. I took as levels, where I did badly and got BED in sociology, geography and APPLIED ICT. Now I took applied ICT thinking it was going to be more hands on ICT which is what I like, but it's more like business studies so I never really enjoyed it and never got stuck in. Now I'm approaching the end of my a2 year and I've applied for a foundation degree in computer science at my local course offering a 120 UCAS point entry requirement. I can easily get this I am confident, however I went to the interview and they were very impressed. They then asked for a D or higher in applied ICT for my final a level. I talked to my ICT teacher and he said I should get this but I am absolutely swamped in work at the moment and all I can think of is not getting the D and what the hell am I gonna do after?! So I have a few options. I was looking at trainee jobs, now the first question is do you need a degree for a trainee job? Secondly I was thinking about retaking year 13, but then I thought they are only interested in my ICT so could I use my year 13 year to retake year 12 and year 13 applied ICT at the same time? I'm sure my school would let me I just need some advice because I'm getting really down about this and I'm not too sure what to do anymore, thankyou guys.:confused:
    Do different subjects for your retake in S-Levels because they don't look linked enough to Computer Science.You should take a Science,Computing,Maths and further maths.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 11, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.