Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why i won't be shopping at John Lewis

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Muahahaha we atheists are so evil...

Time for me to go sacrifice some kittens to celebrate my lack of morals!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)

They have jumped on the loony left PC bandwagon

Do you by any chance read the Daily Mail?
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    Are people forgetting that Easter was originally Pagan, just like everything else the Christians stole?
    Lol, of course! John Lewis are rejecting 2000 years of Christianity and making a stand for the traditional Pagan customs that were once native to these islands.

Or more like they've jumped onto the looney left bandwagon as the OP pointed out in a thinly veiled attempt to appease all sections of our wonderful multicultural society.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HSG1992)

Atheists sacrifice kittens and lack morals?:eek:
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    I was working Friday actually. But even if I didn't, I don't really care why.

I enjoy celebrations as much as anyone. Religious or otherwise. But I don't see why OP is hung up on John Lewis having a neutral point of view in order to attract as many people as possible. It's pure good business strategy.
    ...yet is a religious holiday being turned into a cash maker so much so, that they won't even call it by the correct name. There is no "neutral point of view". That behaviour is morally deplorable and offensive to anyone who is Christian.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:

It's not about the promotion of atheism.

They just don't want to upset the Muslims, Jews and Hindus etc etc. In other words they're appeasing religious ideologues.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SubAtomic)
    Atheists sacrifice kittens and lack morals?:eek:
    That's what they keeping telling us on them T.V. shows with the attractive people telling us serious stories and those giant floppy magazines printed on white paper!

It has to be true.

(Original post by chefdave)
    It's not about the promotion of atheism.

They just don't want to upset the Muslims, Jews and Hindus etc etc. In other words they're appeasing religious ideologues.
    It could be appeasing...but it could also be a move which allows John Lewis to appeal to a wider market i.e. everyone.

You can't be certain which it is and you claiming to be certain is just to suit your agenda.

I'll add that if it is appeasing, then it is pretty damn cowardly.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did you ad that page properly? It clearly says that they are holding an Easter Egg hunt. Plus they still sell chocolate and sweets clearly labelled as Easter eggs etc. So they aren't abandoning it completely.

Fewer people celebrate Easter as a Christian holiday, same with Christmas. It's a day to spend with your family, whether you're religious or not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm atheist, I think all religion is nonsense, but let's be honest, everyone refers to the current time as Easter regardless of religious affiliation (or lack of).

This is clearly not some attempt to return to Pagan values, this is a blatant attempt to avoid "offending other faiths", despite the fact that nobody aside from a small handful of extremists finds Easter offensive.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    ...yet is a religious holiday being turned into a cash maker so much so, that they won't even call it by the correct name. There is no "neutral point of view". That behaviour is morally deplorable and offensive to anyone who is Christian.
    Really? All the Christians I know are happy to let people spend the day however they wish. I'm a (non-practising, non-religious) Christian and I couldn't care less.

Do you think it's offensive to pagans, as well?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just another day where most kids expect chocolate and gifts no matter how they have behaved since the christmas bonus they got for behaving however they saw fit which followed or preceded the birthday bonus they received again for behaving however they wanted lol lol lol spoilt little buggers.

Not all kids obviously as some people are poor and some are strict so ya get me.

I lol at people using religious holidays to expect gifts, only people benefit is the manufacturers and sellers of the products, we all pay with the fall out i.e pollution caused by the manufacture of most the crap that gets promoted and sold.

Bit of a rant? LOL

Happy Easter
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    Really? All the Christians I know are happy to let people spend the day however they wish. I'm a (non-practising, non-religious) Christian and I couldn't care less.

Do you think it's offensive to pagans, as well?
    ...read what I wrote please.
    I said that renaming it and changing the name of the holiday is what is offensive as companies are now denying the existence of the holiday.
    Why would pagans find it offensive? :curious: Christian country, Christian holidays.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the problem, they can call is easter, spring weekend, or whatever they like.

I said that renaming it and changing the name of the holiday is what is offensive as companies are now denying the existence of the holiday.
    Why would pagans find it offensive? :curious: Christian country, Christian holidays.
    Except we aren't a christian country, and easter is to most people a purely cultural holiday now not a religious one, same with christmas.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The UK is hardly a Christian country anymore anyway.

Even if JL are doing this to appeal to a wider range of consumers, why does it bother people so much?

Firstly, they can do whatever they like within the law.

Secondly, I don't see what's wrong with making a national holiday more inclusive. Christians can celebrate whatever they like, nobody is stopping them or telling them that it's not a religious event for them. John Lewis are just making it a broader celebration. Despite this, they have still littered their page with references to Easter anyway!

Thirdly, it's a changed name. Get over yourselves for goodness sake. Nowhere does it say "Easter shall hereby be known as Spring Celebration Weekend because John Lewis represents the wider society in its rejected of traditional Christian values. We will also be sacrificing babies to the Volcano God M'Babtu on Thursday after 2pm" It's a changed name. Morally deplorable my arse.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    It could be appeasing...but it could also be a move which allows John Lewis to appeal to a wider market i.e. everyone.

You can't be certain which it is and you claiming to be certain is just to suit your agenda.

I'll add that if it is appeasing, then it is pretty damn cowardly.
    Your post contains a glaring contradiction. On the one hand you say my take on the issue constitutes an "agenda" but you go on to claim that John Lewis are trying to "appeal to everyone" by erasing Christianity out of the Easter weekend, which is exactly the point I made!

We can only guess why they've done this of course, but it's not as if PC loonery is a Daily Mail conspiracy. It's an everyday occurence in PC-Britain.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care what they call it. So many people in this country don't celebrate Easter to its true meaning now I don't think it matters. Why should a shop stick to a Christian holiday?... I do like tradition though even if I don't believe in the meaning behind it. I would rather they stick with Easter but it won't keep me up at night.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think for many, even the religious folk, are grateful that Easter is also a holiday where they can be at home with their families. To talk about Easter in a non-religious way is by no means wrong. As an Athiest, I am glad that I feel I can celebrate Easter as a holiday at home with my family without having to feel guilty that I use Easter this way and not 'embrace Jesus returning from the dead etc'.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    Lol, of course! John Lewis are rejecting 2000 years of Christianity and making a stand for the traditional Pagan customs that were once native to these islands.

Or more like they've jumped onto the looney left bandwagon as the OP pointed out in a thinly veiled attempt to appease all sections of our wonderful multicultural society.
    This.

I genuinely find the whole thing ignorant, dismissive and insulting. Whether people like it or not, England is Christian country! I know tons of athiests who fully acknowledge this & aren't offended by it. Our society has been built on the Christian values, and it's not like Christianity is an uber controlling religion or anything. You don't even have to go to church - so long as you believe in God and have good morals etc. At least that's what i've been taught. And what the heck is wrong with that?

TBH, it just seems like another attack on Christianity. Oh the joys of multiculturism
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are they denying the existence of the holiday when they are still holding Easter Egg hunts? It is technically a "Spring Holiday Weekend."

Christians took over the celebration and changed it into a Christian one, as they did with Christmas. Even the word Easter comes from from Eostre/Ostara, a pagan goddess. No one is renaming Easter, it's just marketing, and if they were they would be renaming a pagan celebration. What do you think was the predominant religion in this country before Christianity?

Looking at the census statistics, England is hardly a Christian country any more.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    Hurrah, finally shedding Christianity and going back to a far more traditional, celebration of solstices and seasonal changes before those pesky Romans invaded.
    I would like to see a national holiday for the summer solstice. :indiff:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.