Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

My "religious" views stop me from committing to my girlfriend

Announcements Posted on
    • 102 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh get over it Draco and shag the mudblood.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Oh get over it Draco and shag the mudblood.
    Yes, this is what I thought!¬
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look it's not like she chose to be in a lower class than you, she was born that way and besides so what if you're a Brahmin it's not like it's an achievement or anything. Sorry to be so harsh but you were born into it, you didn't earn it through hard graft. So swallow your pride and accept this girl for who she is and don't judge her on something that was out of her control.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what peoples' responses would be if the guy was from an upper-class British family and the girl was from a council estate. Probably much the same, actually.
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it, brahmin. If you love her, marry her hard.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    4 hours - 42 negs. END OF.

Im a punjabi sikh and all i can say is wow. Most of my family (men) were farmers all their lives. We were responsible for the agricultural boom that made India. We are also the lowest caste. Caste does not matter, its who you are that counts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You don;t sound very educated! So being such a high caste and of low education surely the two factors cancel and you become normal?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you're asking this, you don't love her.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    My mum was a Brahmin and so was my Grandma and so that means for 2 generations I am "pure" Brahmin.
    You didn't say that your dad is brahmin too? If not then how are you a "pure brahmin"?
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I wonder what peoples' responses would be if the guy was from an upper-class British family and the girl was from a council estate. Probably much the same, actually.
    Although I would imagine they would have very different opinions/tastes - whereas this guy seems to be quite similiar to her bar the archaic caste thing :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    You didn't say that your dad is brahmin too? If not then how are you a "pure brahmin"?
    Well he obviously is, otherwise I couldn't be one. You take the religion, caste, etc of your husband when you get married.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well he obviously is, otherwise I couldn't be one. You take the religion, caste, etc of your husband when you get married.
    I don't know the ins-and-outs of the Hindu caste system. I thought it could be like the Jewish system i.e you're a Jew if your mother is a Jew and whether your father is or isn't is irrelevant.

If your wife takes on the caste of her husband then she'd become a brahmin too sooooo . . . what's the issue exactly? Besides somewhere along the line your ancestors all became brahmins; it's not like the caste system existed in the stone age when everyone was worshipping the sun and complex, organized religion didn't exist.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Hindu caste system really is stupid, and a repulsive shame. Beggars can't be choosers. There probably are very few upper caste women in this country. How about you disregard (at least this stupid) religious belief and do what you want, not what your religion says you should do?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's just the fact that I love this aspect of being a "pure Brahmin" and the status it has with my extended family and other members of our community. I want to carry that on. It was one of the main things I was going to look for in a wife, yet this girl I have found isn't Brahmin. I know you probably shouldn't think like that in these modern times but I really can't help it. I like this girl, a lot, in fact I think I love her, yet there is this one thing that is stopping me from moving things forward with her.
    I'd be tempted to go on about your values being incompatible with Britain's, but then seeing as it's you and not your beliefs that hinder you from getting with a girl from another caste, I'll just go out and say it - the problem is that you're an arrogant ****.

As well as this, the area in Punjab where she is from is different to the area where I am from and it seems like when she speaks Punjabi (due to the different dialect), it sounds like she can't really speak it and it is slightly embarrassing for me if I bring home a girl who can't speak her mother tongue.

What do you guys think? What should I do?
    She can speak Punjabi, it's just different to yours you stupid ****.

I suggest you leave this girl to someone who's not so horrendously up himself that he'd rather maintain a bull**** notion of hereditary class than be with someone he really likes.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am in my second year of uni and she is in her first. We both like each other a lot and both are Hindu. One reason I'm kind of besotted with her is that I didn't really find anyone in first year, and this year I've changed and she has responded to my change really well. She ticks all of my boxes in the sense that she is pretty, Hindu, Punjabi, clever, understands her religion, traditional, everything really (bar one or two). Some of the boxed she doesn't tick (i.e she's not vegetarian) doesn't matter as she is so respectful of me being vegetarian, she won't eat meat near me, no matter how much I tell her it's fine if she wants. Everything is more or less 'perfect', there's just one thing that's niggling me. She is not my caste. In Hinduism, my caste (Brahmin) is the highest and hers is fairly low.

My mum was a Brahmin and so was my Grandma and so that means for 2 generations I am "pure" Brahmin. My sister is also going to marry a Brahmin.

Although there is nothing wrong with this girl's caste being low, as my uncle married someone of a similar caste to this girl and that Aunt is a brilliant Aunt. In fact, her whole family is amazing. It's just the fact that I love this aspect of being a "pure Brahmin" and the status it has with my extended family and other members of our community. I want to carry that on. It was one of the main things I was going to look for in a wife, yet this girl I have found isn't Brahmin. I know you probably shouldn't think like that in these modern times but I really can't help it. I like this girl, a lot, in fact I think I love her, yet there is this one thing that is stopping me from moving things forward with her.

As well as this, the area in Punjab where she is from is different to the area where I am from and it seems like when she speaks Punjabi (due to the different dialect), it sounds like she can't really speak it and it is slightly embarrassing for me if I bring home a girl who can't speak her mother tongue. One thing I wanted from my children was to A) Speak good Punjabi (as most kids nowadays can't speak their own language) and B) Have a good grasp of Hinduism. Although this girl will be able to help with the second part, she won't be so good on the first, especially if we speak different dialects.

What do you guys think? What should I do?
    I think you are naive and small-minded. The caste system is in no way related to Hinduism, it is just a tool of idiots to put themselves above other people. In reality you are not a "brahmin", you are a human being. You see a problem with your girlfriend because you believe that you are above her, and that is an incredibly medieval attitude. I'm Hindu and I don't give 2 f***'s about the Caste system and it has no bearing on what I do or think of other people.

True "Brahmin's" in my opinion are those few who hindu society should look up to, and those who have devoted their life to religion - abstinence from worldly desires such as sex, marriage, etc. You clearly do not want to do that as you have a falsehood that you are born into the "brahmin" caste like a royal family. It is ignorant and it pisses me off a lot that you think that. This is what Gandhi wanted gone from India and Hindu Society 70 years ago.

You are concerned that she cannot speak "her mother tongue", and that is a baseless argument. Why are you embarrassed? Does it bring a barrier between you? No. Then why should it matter?

It seems to me that you do not deserve your girlfriend and you are too concerned with ticking checkboxes then a real relationship. Stop living in medieval times and having the delusion that you are entitled to better than others based on a caste system that is not linked to Hinduism.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherindigo)
    It's not weird. I mean if you speak to a Hindu person, they are much more understanding of your issue. So quite frankly they will help you out to an extent
    That's my advice!
    Just want to say that I am Hindu and his post is a debasement of the Hindu religion and it's message.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    dey see me trollin
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salad_fingers)
    dey see me trollin
    I like rusty spoons.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)

It ruins far more lives than extremist Islam.

Lol oh dear...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    OP,

I feel sorry for your girlfriend for having a boyfriend like you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.