Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone with a rational explanation for this mystery?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Heres what happened at my parental home last year.

I went to my mates house and stayed there till 5am. I returned home around 6am, everything was quiet everyone seemed to be asleep and went to bed. I wake up around middday to the sound of my entire family gathered in the kitchen having a really loud and heated discussion. They told me that about an hour before I came home they heard the hallway table moving the most gigantic bang coming from the hallway that sounded a lot like the front door slamming open. I say slamming open because the door is positioned in such a way that if you open it fully the inside of the door will knock against a wall in the hallway.

Now here's where it gets really weird;

If the door had really slammed open then it would have been found open when my mum and her bf immediately ran into the hallway to see what the commotion was. No. It was still locked shut they said. Naturally I became skeptical and surmised that if the door was still loacked shut when they checked then they must have heard something else. However, upon inspecting the inside of the door i saw something that really weirded me out. The inside door handle was completely smashed in and there was a corresponding dent in the wall where the handle had hit! No-one else had noticed this. This verified their story that they heard the door slam open. But why was it then locked shut when they checked seconds later?

This is what the door handle looks like

So basically that knob sticking out was smashed in and there was a corresponding dent in the wall where it had hit.

Now there are a coupe more facts that add to the mystery incase your'e all thinking it was a burglar and they were just fast asleep so didn't hear everything

1) It is not a large house, it is a tiny single floor 2 bedroom council flat. The hallway is about 15 feet long with the living room at one end, the kitchen and 2 bedrooms at the other end and the front door in the middle

2) we had family staying over and as there are only 2 bedrooms they were staying in the living room which is at the other end of the hallway from mine and my mum's bedroom., so both ends of the short hallway were occupied by people.

3) My mum and her bf both said they were wide awake the whole time so would of heard everything going on outside their room.

4) They would have been able to hear everything going on outside because the doors in the house (not the front door that's made of real wood) is made of basically cardboard sandwiched between two super thin MDF sheets ( yeah budget 70s council flats lol) And trust me you can hear absolutely everything through those doors.

5) my mums bf said he came home an hour before it happened (which is why they were still awake)

So seeing as a burglar would of had an hours's window to sneak through an absolutely tiny flat where half the occupants were wide awake and could hear everything going on in the flat due to the thin doors we can rule out a burglar.

My cousin who was staying in the living room said the sound was LOUD. He even admitted to nearly wetting himself with fear the bang was so big.

The final bit of strangeness was a small letter "D" that was found to be scrawled on the front of the door.....

Any Ideas?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This would be an excellent bit of creative writing coursework but I have n idea what may have happened soz
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Time to call Poirot
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexbo)

I went to my mates house and stayed there till 5am. I returned home around 6am, everything was quiet everyone seemed to be asleep and went to bed. I wake up around middday to the sound of my entire family gathered in the kitchen having a really loud and heated discussion. They told me that about an hour before I came home they heard the hallway table moving the most gigantic bang coming from the hallway that sounded a lot like the front door slamming open. I say slamming open because the door is positioned in such a way that if you open it fully the inside of the door will knock against a wall in the hallway.

If the door had really slammed open then it would have been found open when my mum and her bf immediately ran into the hallway to see what the commotion was. No. It was still locked shut they said. Naturally I became skeptical and surmised that if the door was still loacked shut when they checked then they must have heard something else. However, upon inspecting the inside of the door i saw something that really weirded me out. The inside door handle was completely smashed in and there was a corresponding dent in the wall where the handle had hit! No-one else had noticed this. This verified their story that they heard the door slam open. But why was it then locked shut when they checked seconds later?

So basically that knob sticking out was smashed in and there was a corresponding dent in the wall where it had hit.

Now there are a coupe more facts that add to the mystery incase your'e all thinking it was a burglar and they were just fast asleep so didn't hear everything

1) It is not a large house, it is a tiny single floor 2 bedroom council flat. The hallway is about 15 feet long with the living room at one end, the kitchen and 2 bedrooms at the other end and the front door in the middle

2) we had family staying over and as there are only 2 bedrooms they were staying in the living room which is at the other end of the hallway from mine and my mum's bedroom., so both ends of the short hallway were occupied by people.

3) My mum and her bf both said they were wide awake the whole time so would of heard everything going on outside their room.

4) They would have been able to hear everything going on outside because the doors in the house (not the front door that's made of real wood) is made of basically cardboard sandwiched between two super thin MDF sheets ( yeah budget 70s council flats lol) And trust me you can hear absolutely everything through those doors.

5) my mums bf said he came home an hour before it happened (which is why they were still awake)

So seeing as a burglar would of had an hours's window to sneak through an absolutely tiny flat where half the occupants were wide awake and could hear everything going on in the flat due to the thin doors we can rule out a burglar.

My cousin who was staying in the living room said the sound was LOUD. He even admitted to nearly wetting himself with fear the bang was so big.

The final bit of strangeness was a small letter "D" that was found to be scrawled on the front of the door.....

Any Ideas?
    Sounds like an inside job.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pwcroberts)
    This would be an excellent bit of creative writing coursework but I have n idea what may have happened soz
    This happened for real.

(Original post by smithy5678963)
    Sounds like an inside job.
    Very funny.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexbo)
    He even admitted to nearly wetting himself with fear
    Made me lol. But that sounds creepy overall...there doesn't seem to be a rational explanation...spooky
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have many rational explanations the first and most likely is that you are lying, secondly your mum and her bf were under the influence of a substance that messed with their perception of time and you did it when you got home drunk.

[this is in bad taste]in response to "5)" Most guys aren't awake in the middle of the night an hour after they've came
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What if the door banged so hard on the wall that it bounced off and closed again? What do you mean "locked"?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    I have many rational explanations the first and most likely is that you are lying, secondly your mum and her bf were under the influence of a substance that messed with their perception of time and you did it when you got home drunk.
    I don't drink
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexbo)

Any Ideas?
    On which side was the handle smashed? If you're saying outside then I would hedge my bets that someone outside simply took a hand/hammer/hard object and smashed your door handle for one reason or another.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Shrooms.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gumball)
    What if the door banged so hard on the wall that it bounced off and closed again? What do you mean "locked"?
    Yeah this is pretty much the only explanation I could come up with. And that is one thing I can' remember for sure, which is if they said the door was still bolted shut when they checked. I definetly remember them saying the door was fully closed though.

The problems with that explanation is a) where did the energy to blast the door open so hard it bounced back and closed itself? b) if someone had kicked the door down the lock and hinge would be broken, oh and c) everyone swore they never heard the door close again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hobo389)
    On which side was the handle smashed? If you're saying outside then I would hedge my bets that someone outside simply took a hand/hammer/hard object and smashed your door handle for one reason or another.
    Inside. The outside of the door was not damaged in any way save for the "D" carved on it and we are not sure if that was put there the same day the door smashed open, before or after. It definetly hit the hallway wall as the dent in the wall matched with the handle.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sexbo)
    The problems with that explanation is a) where did the energy to blast the door open so hard it bounced back and closed itself? b) if someone had kicked the door down the lock and hinge would be broken, oh and c) everyone swore they never heard the door close again
    a) Is there an outside door? If not, it could (and probably was) wind.

b) They could have kicked it next to the handle - I doubt that would knock off the hinges.

c) They were probably just shocked from the loud bang, and I doubt you'd then notice the comparably quiet noise of it re-closing.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Well the obvious rational explanation would be, that it was a family member, despite their innocent claims. Or, you could always opt for a poltergeist?

I'm always hearing footsteps on the stairs at home, yet when I go to check, the noise automatically stops and there's never anyone there. Very strange.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I saw the word 'door', and I saw the word 'mystery', and for some reason I immediately thought of this:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aliens.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'll take a stab at it.

So how many people were in the flat at the time of the incident?

The inside door handle was completely smashed in and there was a corresponding dent in the wall where the handle had hit! No-one else had noticed this.

When you say completely smashed in do you mean heavily dented or scraped? presumably since you came in later and your family checked the door after the incident the actual door handle mechanism was still fully functional? The dent in the wall could have happened earlier since you mentioned the walls aren't very sturdy someone could have opened it harshly and damaged the wall without realizing or just didn't want to tell anyone because they would get in trouble.

Scrawled? As in wrote with a device or engraved? If engraved the D could be the shape of a bar or pole used to force the door open, although it seems unlikely it was a burglar.

This verified their story that they heard the door slam open. But why was it then locked shut when they checked seconds later?

was it seconds? People don't tend to run in guns blazing when they hear something like that, who was first on the scene? your mums bf? what about any subsequent noise after the big bang? footsteps or the like?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WildBerrySpirit)
    I'm always hearing footsteps on the stairs at home, yet when I go to check, the noise automatically stops and there's never anyone there. Very strange.
    Does that not creep you out? Does it actually sound like someone is coming up the stairs? :eek:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Either somebody did it and is now lying because of the damage, or the door was damaged at some other time and the noise was something else. Only two plausible explanations given the information provided.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Advice on everyday issues unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.