Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it just me or is 60% a pretty appalling proportion of students to get 5 GCSEs...?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh look, it's the positive brigade. Out again in gay abandon to criticise Britain anew, surely the sun must follow their enlightened spirits.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gumball)
    Link to statistics, please.
    I found the 60% figure on the guardian website- I don't know what their source is...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think its anyones fault apart from the students / parents. My school really did try with everyone, but ofsted reports claimed otherwise. If you try hard in our education system you succeed. I dd well in my GCSE's because I pulled my weight and my school helped me do so. The people who didn't do well decided they didn't want to learn a single thing. They wanted to go into more vocational careers or not go into a career at all and as such decided not to try at all with an academical stuff. I sort of felt sorry for the teachers / heads at my school who put effort in to get it thrown back in their faces.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    A growing portion of society is simply not cut out for academia. This is why we recently have had a growing number in practical qualifications that follow NVQ schemes.

Those people are not incapable, they're simply not cut out for GCSEs/Alevels and are better put in different, less theory based qualifications. Unfortunately, they (everyone) must first go through things like GCSEs to determine whether they're academic or hands-on.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fourdigit)
    Too many factors are involved. Most would say attitude, perhaps for some but not everyone. Some may not been given much support on a certain area (e.g. reading) and unable to do well in exams.

I'd say there wasn't enough right support for them, sometimes there are some teachers who can teach or can't teach and there are sometimes students who want to learn or don't want to learn or sometimes there are school that are great or not great or sometimes there are family problems or health problems, etc.
    I agree.
    There are lots of different factors, although the statistic isnt great i have to admit.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hennessybubbles)
    I just checked this statistic- the figures usually about 50-60% of students achieve 5 A*-Cs or better at GCSE... (often cited in cases of groups which do way worse like deprived students, young people in care etc...

is it just me or is that pretty shocking?
    Yes it is shocking because if standards had been kept constant, average (ie median) standard pupils should have been achieving grade F GCSEs.

When the GCSE was created CSE grade 4 (the standard that ought to have been achieved by a candidate of average ability) was mapped to GCSE grade F.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidneyjean)
    When some people consider GCSEs a joke, it's because they see a 60% %A*-C rate as too high.

Politicians and/or the media can make it look bad either way: if everyone passes exams, then the exams are too easy. But if too many people do badly, the education system is failing. It would be too optimistic to think that we have sensible exams or intelligent students.

yeah my point was that.. 60% pass rate + very low standard needed to achieve a C = appalling

I can see the need for competition but its a necessity for an economy that everyone is literate, numerate and possesses some basic knolwedge and intellectual skills...thats effectively all that GCSEs guarantee..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    All I know is that my school was full of chavs and losers, and it's only their fault that they didn't want to study because they were more interested in having fun if you can call it that. Teachers need to be a lot more strict then they are, they need more power, and there should be a lot more discipline.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Try living in the real world OP.

More than 50-60% end up doing jobs that don't require GCSEs/A Levels/Degrees. A very large population work for firms that teach new recruits and promote from within, otherwise they get a skill and work as that. A good 30% of kids who were in my year who left school early have ended up doing mechanics or carpentry or something similar.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    You only have to look at who their 'role models' are and how they spend their Friday and Saturday nights.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just checked this statistic- the figures usually about 50-60% of students achieve 5 A*-Cs or better at GCSE... (often cited in cases of groups which do way worse like deprived students, young people in care etc...

that means for all the thousands of young people that go through our education system in the UK- one of the richest countries in the world- after 11 years of full time education- about a third to half basically don't have sufficient school qualifications to get a basic job...

the fact that a lot of GCSEs are a joke in terms of the standard or quality- that makes it even worse..

I've been looking through an Ofsted report (research for my dissertation).. 57% of schools were found to be 'good' or 'outstanding'... 14% judged 'satisfactory'..

Its hard to say how the failing students are spread out amongst the schools... but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here?

how is our school system this bad?
    It is this dire because:
    a) Many parents do not value education, therefore their children do not
    b) Any idiot can be a teacher nowadays. I had many teachers who would be in the bottom sets if they went up against the students they were teaching.
    c) Teaching has not changed for decades. It is very dated and shown to be a very poor method to educate people with.

The result is that China, India, and other Far East nations are going to turn this country into a backwards and poor nation.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You think that is bad? The year in which I did GCSEs, only 12% of people got 5 or more A*-C in my school!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    It is this dire because:
    a) Many parents do not value education, therefore their children do not
    b) Any idiot can be a teacher nowadays. I had many teachers who would be in the bottom sets if they went up against the students they were teaching.
    c) Teaching has not changed for decades. It is very dated and shown to be a very poor method to educate people with.

The result is that China, India, and other Far East nations are going to turn this country into a backwards and poor nation.
    all of the above plus
    d) the tax payer pays for 95% of the education system and pays for full time education for 11 years, after which time almost half the students can't achieve a pass on some really low standard exams..
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:

that means for all the thousands of young people that go through our education system in the UK- one of the richest countries in the world- after 11 years of full time education- about a third to half basically don't have sufficient school qualifications to get a basic job...

the fact that a lot of GCSEs are a joke in terms of the standard or quality- that makes it even worse..

I've been looking through an Ofsted report (research for my dissertation).. 57% of schools were found to be 'good' or 'outstanding'... 14% judged 'satisfactory'..

Its hard to say how the failing students are spread out amongst the schools... but I'm just wondering if I'm missing something here?

how is our school system this bad?
    Is that including English and Maths, or just any 5? Yes, 60% isn't as good as some schools but I went to a school which had a 10% pass rate and there were still some amazing teachers there. This is an average, so it includes schools which are in deprived areas, not enough funding, schools in special measures etc.
    EDIT: Don't know why anyone would neg this? Seeing as I teach I think I have a pretty good idea about schools. Also a school rated as 'good' is actually VERY good so seeing as only 14% are satisfactory I don't think the education here is as bad as people may think. However Ofsted has changed 'Satisfactory' to 'requires improvement' which I suppose will push schools to try harder to get the 'good' status.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at my schools A*-C grade and its 42% haha! No wonder they made such a big deal when i got 5A*s and 5As (which I know is rubbish compared to a lot of people on here)
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maths is our major problem because only 58.8% get C+ in Maths,58.3% get 5A*-C including English and Maths and I get the feeling that most of TSR is just too intelligent to realise that GCSEs are tough exams.Our country is behind the global average for maths and it is so easy for me buyt somehow people are illogical and can't do basic math,with just over 50% grade boundaries on unit 2 foundation paper for a C,which means you only need to get all the E and maybe a few D grade questions right to get a C.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not the only one who's slightly glade it's so low as it means I have better job opportunities. Don't hate on me I'm just trying to find the silver lining.

I think that's incredibly low especially as GCSE equivalents are taken into account. My school got 26% 5 A- C grades this year. uJelBro?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.education.gov.uk/rsgatewa...85/index.shtml

I've used this link for m dissertation and shows the GCSE results from 2009/10 during that academic year only 53.4% of students gained 5A*-C grades including mathematics and english.
    • 59 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_G)
    http://www.education.gov.uk/rsgatewa...85/index.shtml

I've used this link for m dissertation and shows the GCSE results from 2009/10 during that academic year only 53.4% of students gained 5A*-C grades including mathematics and english.
    58.3%,for 2010/11
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I fall into just having 5a-c GCSE's

math
    english language
    english literature
    core science
    applied science

however... I also gained an ocr diploma in business(equiv to 4gcse at the time)
    I have also gained an NVQ lvl 2 in retail.

I would say this has put me on a strong footing, gained a sales assistant post at John lewis and being pushed towards management

starting uni at northumbria doing business in september predicted AAB

I dont think those statistics include equivalents?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

'Stalking pages' have changed!

Find other uni applicants with University Connect

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.