Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

is it just me or is 60% a pretty appalling proportion of students to get 5 GCSEs...?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hennessybubbles)
    I found the 60% figure on the guardian website- I don't know what their source is...
    No linky, no fact accepty
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember what the rate was like at my school, loads of people just weren't interested in passing exams though and didn't even try, my two older siblings have 5 GCSE's between them, not all of them even A*-C, I got 12 A*-C's just myself, I'm the only person in my immediate family to do A-levels and the first in my mother's family to go to University.

I think attitude has a lot to do with grades, as well as factors like students not getting the help they need.
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmobear92)
    No linky, no fact accepty
    Take Me Out:lolz:

Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15383548

58.3% 5 A*-C including English and Maths

You could make a slight mistake and get a D in English or Maths and fail the statistic with 12A* GCSEs-unlikely
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Take Me Out:lolz:

Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15383548

58.3% 5 A*-C including English and Maths

You could make a slight mistake and get a D in English or Maths and fail the statistic with 12A* GCSEs-unlikely
    Let the bun see the ... nah I jest, I jest

But in all seriousness, that does sound quite shocking, although the article suggests it has been an improvement from before where the 5A*-C was only 40-50% :shock: I mean whaaaa?!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emi_sarb)
    Grammar schools will not help the 40% who fail their GCSEs because the kids who are failing are not the ones who would get in to a grammar school and would be in a shoddy secondary modern under the grammar school system. The only kids the grammar schools would help are in the 60% who are passing who might achieve higher grades in a grammar school.
    So you're admitting grammar schools would help the majority of kids?

I remember UKIP mentioning something along the lines of increasing the number of grammar schools for academically gifted children and creating technical schools for children who are either vocationally gifted or average.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    So you're admitting grammar schools would help the majority of kids?

I remember UKIP mentioning something along the lines of increasing the number of grammar schools for academically gifted children and creating technical schools for children who are either vocationally gifted or average.
    No, I'm saying they help the top 20% of children who get into them while the majority of children are at a disadvantage in bad schools. I'm also saying that they won't increase the number of students getting 5 GCSE passes because the children who would get into grammar schools are in the 60% that are passing in comprehensives. Although if there were good schools focusing on vocational qualifications for the children who fail the 11+ I would not be against grammar schools. I would also make it very easy for schools to expel disruptive students and then have special schools for kids who have been expelled, that way they're only disrupting each other and not the children who want to learn.

Also it was Thatcher who got rid of more grammar schools than anyone else not labour.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because people don't take care of their education or their children's education.

Out of all my parents' friends children (a group of about 15-20) I am the only one that even finished school. These children weren't all working class, weren't all a certain ethnic group etc. They're completely varied. On the other hand I went to school where 85% of people got 5 GCSEs, a very high achieving state school. Because they set us high expectations and took our education seriously. As a result, my friends there are all at university, three at Cambridge.

The difference was my mum, like my school, did absolutely everything for my education and was very strict at times whereas their parents (some wealthy, some not) didn't seem to care, and took a laissez faire "Oh it's ok they'll raise themselves" attitude which just doesn't work in educating your children.

There are some things that children will learn themselves in life that forms their personality and there are some things that are too important to leave to chance. The world in 2012 is a global village where the entire world competes for jobs, things aren't like they used to be. That's why Asian cultures like China and India, that place HUGE value on education, are taking off in their economies. They're hard working and they get the good jobs in the global village.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    My school has an average PASS rate of 50% so that is only between A*-C and apparently were the year who is going to raise it to 65%, sorry to be of topic but if i was to leave this school with one A mostly Bs and the rest Cs can i be classed as coming from a 'inner school' due to the fact i live in/go to Newham, and typically unis like it if you do well from an under performing school; because i'm planning to do dentistry however i have the worst teachers and i feel it hasn't been justified properly. I do however plan to go to an average 6th form so hopefullt that would be good
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Only in the tsr world.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Yes it is shocking because if standards had been kept constant, average (ie median) standard pupils should have been achieving grade F GCSEs.

When the GCSE was created CSE grade 4 (the standard that ought to have been achieved by a candidate of average ability) was mapped to GCSE grade F.
    After the results from 1 or 2 setting of the GCSEs the mapping was changed to D/E and then to C/D because preformance was high.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The problem will never be resolved because the political elite in this country do not have to deal with the public education system. They send their kids to private schools.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The education system is declining because kids are getting stupider and teachers/parents are getting more lenient. There is no academic discipline anymore, it is seen as 'ok' by most people to not care about your studies. This is why China and India are winning.

Also I find it difficult to believe how people can genuinely attempt a GCSE exam and not even get a C. Most people in my school did a few hours per subject of revision and got A/B grades. Those, including myself, who bothered to do a few more hours got A* grades. So how on earth can one manage to not get a C?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would argue that it's not so much about the lack of quality in teaching, or that students aren't smart enough, but rather that a lot of students don't see any point in doing them. A lot of students aren't interested in the actual subjects that they sit for exams, but it would go a long way if they at least saw it as a means to an end. Teachers tell students that exams are important, but they don't often tell them why. If it was made clearer to students that they will in later life probably benefit financially/career wise from having at least 5 gcse's, I think they would be more likely to give it a shot (or at least come in to sit their exam, which unfortunately many don't.)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's a horrendous statistic and we are in real trouble in the future. Anyone and I mean anyone could pass those exams if they put the work in. Ability comes from practice, no-one is born clever. No discipline and a culture of entitlement is the problem.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What are previous years like, for all we know 60% could be an improvement to the equivalent qualifications in the 1950's, and in the 1950's there would have been a lot more unskilled manual jobs in factories and coal mines so bad qualifications would not have been so bad.
    • 61 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    It's a horrendous statistic and we are in real trouble in the future. Anyone and I mean anyone could pass those exams if they put the work in. Ability comes from practice, no-one is born clever. No discipline and a culture of entitlement is the problem.
    People are born clever and don't try hard and still get As and Bs and yet other people get terrible grades and try hard.Intelligence can be defined as academic potential and certain things can affect whether you reach your academic potential but generally people will be less clever than people,who have more academic potential but they can close the gap through revision boosting their cleverness but they still can't get above their academic potential.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    who need gsce anyway?/? I did diploma in health and socail care which is equivalence to 7 gcse 4 a levels at grade b and a 2:1 degree. At the end of the day its down too who you are.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princessofhistory)
    who need gsce anyway?/? I did diploma in health and socail care which is equivalence to 7 gcse 4 a levels at grade b and a 2:1 degree. At the end of the day its down too who you are.
    The fact that you can't even spell the name of your awesome qualification is slightly worrying...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banishingboredom)
    The fact that you can't even spell the name of your awesome qualification is slightly worrying...

Wow u must bee jelous or racist or both to say that. IM DISELXIC HOW DARE YOU!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    People learn in different ways, some people just generally have 'natural cleverness' or the urge to learn as much as possible. Those that find school harder than others need to put more effort in than those mentioned above to get the same grades - this is the downfall, they just aren't enthusiastic enough.

I'll definitely achieve the '5 GCSEs grade A*-C' but without getting a single A* and most being B's. I could have done much better if only I found the urge to revise and generally try hard.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.