Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

is it just me or is 60% a pretty appalling proportion of students to get 5 GCSEs...?

Announcements Posted on
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simonbellringer)
    40% not getting proper grades? That's disgraceful!! Yet in a little continent called Africa there are millions of kids would swap their left hand for a proper education!! Something tells me that something is wrong here!!

Too many outings, TD Days, rubbish teachers/heads and too little discipline. Also, if the classes were structured better it would at least give the students who want the grades a better chance overall!! A major overhaul of the educaion system is needed, and soon!!
    thing is , and here's where your ill informed rant falls down GCSE at grades D- G is a NQF level 1 qualification ...

it also fails to account for the fact that GCSE aims to be both a generalist qualification to demonstrate a rounded secondary education AND to be preparation for level 3 study, this leads to the achievement and expectation jumps in science and maths in particular , although poor teaching in any subject at GCSE can adversely affect the performance of the student if they take it to NQF level 3 without the full range of underpinning skills and knowledge .
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreenchildren)
    I just looked at my schools A*-C grade and its 42% haha! No wonder they made such a big deal when i got 5A*s and 5As (which I know is rubbish compared to a lot of people on here)
    This is indeed not rubbish. Quite on the contrary, that is very good.

If you were trying to be modest, please think about how you would make the students that don't achieve those grades feel. If you believe that those grades are relatively "rubbish", how would someone that got 5 A*-Cs feel?

By the way everyone, don't bother telling me that I should "man up" or stop sympathising. I will ignore those responses.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    an exam/qualification isn't good if EVERYONE can achieve it, is it.... if 90-100% were getting 5 A*-C grades then GCSEs would mean significantly less than the little they already mean at the moment. they are designed to be that way and rightly so.

it would be a failed exam if a large proportion of the people who took it achieved well in it.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hennessybubbles)
    all of the above plus
    d) the tax payer pays for 95% of the education system and pays for full time education for 11 years, after which time almost half the students can't achieve a pass on some really low standard exams..
    what's the 1 + A*-G standard as that is the figure for the number of people who do achieve a 'pass'

GCSEs are a strange qualification, in that they are the only UK qualification that spans two NQF levels depending on the grade you get

D-G ( equivalent to CSE grades 2 -5 ) are NQF level 1

A*-C (equivalent to CSE grade 1 and GCE O level) are NQF level 2
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tahooper)
    It's Labour's fault for turning brilliant grammar schools into shoddy comprehensives.

Sad but true.
    what were the first actions of the bliar government with regard to education ?

- close the assisted places scheme
    - remove GM status and schools back under the dead hand of LEAs
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planar)
    I find it hard to believe that so few people get 5 GCSEs
    it's an interesting but quite arbitrary measure

the spread of grades is interesting

5 + a*- c is just a snapshot ... and without the 9+A*-C , 1+ A*-C, 5+ A*-G and 1+ A*-G figures and the value addeds it's all rather pointless
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Personally I found GCSEs quite easy (certainly compared to A levels), but I revised A LOT and went to a good school. Someone in my brother's year failed all of his though. It is pretty shocking that some kids just don't care how their results will affect their future prospects.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarabande)
    I've found that among some teachers nowadays, none of them have the drive for the job, it seems like teaching is like a Plan B for them. My thoughts anyway.
    Hasn't that always been true though? I don't think anyone grows up dreaming of being a secondary school teacher. It's more a case of getting a degree and not really knowing what to do with it most of the time.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember in year 8 our head teacher saying ours was 16% and the national minimum is 30%. I changed schools in year 9.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why it's hard to believe I can absolutely believe it's true.

My school was given a target of having 70% of students getting 5 A-Cgrades. So they just put all their effort into the top 70%. So what happened to the rest of us 30%? We were given inexperienced sometimes just plain bad or in some cases no teacher. We were only allowed to pick 2 optional subjects everyone else had 3 and even when we did pick our options the teachers decided to change them for us. We were not allowed to resubmit coursework because teachers had to spend time remarking other students coursework. They also just assumed we were all trouble makers and put us in classes with people who were impossible to work around.

If you're wondering why I was in the bottom 30%. I had to have 6months out of educations before I moved to that school had just gotten over severe bullying and a violent break-up from my parents. I need extra support from my school who just weren't willing because they didn't want to waste time on someone like me who might just scrape the pass mark when they could place all their attention on someone who'll get them 13 A*'s and get the paper.:rolleyes:

Now you could say I'm just making excuses for being stupid or lazy and I admit I did get lazy in the very end. I had been treated like I would get rubbish grades so thought what was the point in trying but now I've made a dramatic improvement by going to a new college where I'm given the help I should be getting.

I think people need start looking into what is going in the schools instead of assuming the worst of the children who don't succeed.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am more concerned at the proportion who don't have English Language and/or Maths at GCSE and the numbers who never learn a foreign language.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    an exam/qualification isn't good if EVERYONE can achieve it, is it.... if 90-100% were getting 5 A*-C grades then GCSEs would mean significantly less than the little they already mean at the moment. they are designed to be that way and rightly so.

it would be a failed exam if a large proportion of the people who took it achieved well in it.
    Whilst true of A levels it's not true of GCSEs. GSCEs I supposed to show you have a basic understanding of the subjects you've been learning about for the past 11 years.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    The truth in my school at least is that students just don't take their GCSE's seriously enough. They always rely on the teachers to "spoon feed" them everything and are more interested in seeing their friends than their education. Sounds stupid but the same does apply to lots of other teenagers across the country.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beebumble)
    Whilst true of A levels it's not true of GCSEs. GSCEs I supposed to show you have a basic understanding of the subjects you've been learning about for the past 11 years.
    and some people simply don't because they are not interested in school or because they aren't that bright. not everyone is good at everything. you can't blame everything on the system or on the teachers. i'm not saying those things are blameless because despite our very good education system, more could be done... especially in certain schools/areas... but you can dumb down GCSEs all you like but that just makes them more and more pointless. if everyone was getting 5A*-C then there would be literally no point in even sitting them for the people who were just getting CCCCC etc. or those lower grades... they would just become the new failers.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    so 40% of people can't even get 5 C grades? that is absolutely abysmal! I can't understand how that is possible for anybody to do that badly, no matter 40% of the population.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    and some people simply don't because they are not interested in school or because they aren't that bright. not everyone is good at everything. you can't blame everything on the system or on the teachers. i'm not saying those things are blameless because despite our very good education system, more could be done... especially in certain schools/areas... but you can dumb down GCSEs all you like but that just makes them more and more pointless. if everyone was getting 5A*-C then there would be literally no point in even sitting them for the people who were just getting CCCCC etc. or those lower grades... they would just become the new failers.
    I'm not saying dumb down GCSEs at all. I'm just saying they're not meant to be for competitive reasons. They're supposed to show that a person has received a standard education.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    GCSE's are not tough. It doesn't require that much effort to do well in them.
    it doesn't matter how tough they are. The UMS system is designed so roughly the same amount of people get each grade every year.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    it doesn't matter how tough they are. The UMS system is designed so roughly the same amount of people get each grade every year.
    that's ****ing bull****, it shouldn't be like that.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boba)
    but the thing is that it is still easy to get a good grade. if it was tougher, UMS would mean that 40% would still fail to get 5 C's, but that would be more acceptable. the fact we have such a low standard for a C grade and almost half us still can't reach it is awful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    But even counting those who get 5 A*- C 's isn't really asking for much. Most people do about 10 GCSE's minimum so you could get UUUUUCCCCC and still be counted as someone who has reached the target for education.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 18, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.