Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Group work

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why are degrees allowed to contain this? Admittedly I do a proper degree that doesn't contain any of it so have no personal experience, but it essentially seems to be a mechanism for enabling morons who scraped into University to pass their degrees without actually having to do any work, as evidenced by the many examples I've heard of of essentially one or two people in a several person group doing all the work. Though I realise it may help illustrate teamwork skills, I'm not entirely sure a degree awarded to an individul person is the best means of illustrating that.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate group work. I have been in a group work recently where I have done 100% of the work, not out of choice but I felt I had too. Fair play they did their bit but no effort was put into it whatsoever, seriously, just copied and pasted out of wiki! ... and I was going to be marked on that ****! So I just told them 'I'd work over it at the weekend and hand it in' and did it all myself and we managed to get 70%.

It's pretty gutting that all that work and they share that grade.

Group Work Shucks!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StudyHard_LiveBetter)
    I hate group work. I have been in a group work recently where I have done 100% of the work, not out of choice but I felt I had too. Fair play they did their bit but no effort was put into it whatsoever, seriously, just copied and pasted out of wiki! ... and I was going to be marked on that sh*t! So I just told them 'I'd work over it at the weekend and hand it in' and did it all myself and we managed to get 70%.

It's pretty gutting that all that work and they share that grade.

Group Work Shucks!
    Tell your lecturer, normally (if they aren't idiots) they will allow you to seperate in to your own group and make them a seperate group as long as you can prove they aren't pulling their weight.

Thankfully I had no group work at all in my degree otherwise it would have driven me to insanity fighting against the laziness of students!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montgomery)
    Why are degrees allowed to contain this? Admittedly I do a proper degree that doesn't contain any of it so have no personal experience, but it essentially seems to be a mechanism for enabling morons who scraped into University to pass their degrees without actually having to do any work, as evidenced by the many examples I've heard of of essentially one or two people in a several person group doing all the work. Though I realise it may help illustrate teamwork skills, I'm not entirely sure a degree awarded to an individul person is the best means of illustrating that.
    Too bad, it's a good transferable skill to gain that will greatly benefit you when it comes to applying for work.

I don't like doing group work though tbh, because often it always ends up being me telling people what to do and creating the whole presentation myself, it's frustrating trying to get people to agree on which bits to do and get them to present it well.

We're usually marked as a whole group rather than individually, so if one person puts no effort in the whole group suffers, and I don't think this should be the case when the percentages count towards your final degree classification.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate the fact that group work is supposed to help us work with others once we get a 'real' job. Total BS. If someone didn't pull their weight at work, they'd get the sack and rightly so. Luckily, no group work for me this year otherwise I'd've thrown myself out the window by now
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeterno)
    I hate the fact that group work is supposed to help us work with others once we get a 'real' job. Total BS. If someone didn't pull their weight at work, they'd get the sack and rightly so. Luckily, no group work for me this year otherwise I'd've thrown myself out the window by now
    Yep, I couldn't agree more, even if the university uses peer assessment it is often only for a tiny % of the marks, so there is no real way to penalise those who can't be bothered.

The idea of group projects at university is great in theory, but in reality it often doesn't work and results in one or two people having a nervous break down while everyone else clears off down the pub......

I would much rather be judged on my own efforts as it seems fairer than either being dragged down or benefiting from others work. I also can't help but feel it is just an easy way for lecturers to reduce their workload; marking 9 or 10 group projects has to be easier than reading say 60 essays.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am having such problems with this right now :cry2: It's why I'm up at 2am. :cry:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason I hate it at the moment is because we are working as a group on a POSTER and there are 6 of us in the group. How is it fair? I have worked on most of the formatting too. The group I am working with has chosen a really bad topic that has farrrrrr too much nitty gritty detail for a poster and they are refusing to listen to my advise that our poster is too wordy! Its a poster! We were allowed to choose any title from a massive list and they have chosen the most boring one! Which also provides little opportunity for figures/images which is very important in a poster. I want to suggest that we change topics but the deadline is in just 4 days! ARGGGGH want to rip my hair out. This whole poster idsea is rubbish anyway because it is due so close to the end of term where so many of us have other important deadlines and exam revision to work at and this is literally getting in the way its such a pain omg this is a massive rant!!!!! RANT OVER!
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've only had to do one presentation at university and everybody did what they were told so that was fine but at AS level i had to do a group presentation once and since we were a group of three but only two of us actually did anything when it came to the presentation i actually (in front of the class and teacher) told the guy to sit back down because he'd done **** all and only put me and my friends name on the presentation.

I do love individual presentations though, seem to be a natural at them.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2013
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.