Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can everyone get a Six Pac?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Being reasonabley muscley i would expect to have a decent set of abs, (i'm not obsessed with getting them, i go to the gym because i enjoy it), i wouldn't mind having more visable ones just to impress my girlfriend a little since she likes em.
    I recently got my body fat measured and i have 9.7% (pretty low).
    I my abs arent ripped but simply a little bump there.
    Are ripped abs purely genetic or can every one get a really good, ripped set of them?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Work them out and they will grow.

Genetics defines only shape and symmetry etc. They will most likely end up looking skinny and dumb, so many go for vanity in the gym and just look terrible but have tiny visible abs and think they've achieved something.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's about body fat (less than 14-15%) and train your abs properly (e.g don't do a million crunches)
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://youtu.be/MjjGFx7-NqQ Video might help? In short, apparently not, some people get stuck with four, but can still look pretty ripped (info from a body building mate who was very frustrated by his lack of 6 pack until told not everyone gets one)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DdotT)
    Being reasonabley muscley i would expect to have a decent set of abs, (i'm not obsessed with getting them, i go to the gym because i enjoy it), i wouldn't mind having more visable ones just to impress my girlfriend a little since she likes em.
    Are ripped abs purely genetic or can every one get a really good, ripped set of them?
    9.7% is pretty damn low tbh, anyone at that should definitely have visible abs, you're probably not actually at 10%, what bf test did you use? most of them are incredibly inaccurate
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DdotT)
    I used to take "body fat tests" at my local chemist. They used to take my height and weight into account and also give a reading of BMI and body fat %. I would get readings as low as 5%, but I only had very faint abs and no visible muscle whatsoever. The 5% was quoted because my weight was that low.

I think those machines are just working off of averages.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not everyone can. Some people have 8 packs, 5 packs, 4 packs. It's all down to genetics.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    Not everyone can. Some people have 8 packs, 5 packs, 4 packs. It's all down to genetics.
    This (not sure about 5 packs though, what would that look like?)

Everyone can certainly get visible abs though, with enough muscle mass there and low enough bf%.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sword)
    9.7% is pretty damn low tbh, anyone at that should definitely have visible abs, you're probably not actually at 10%, what bf test did you use? most of them are incredibly inaccurate
    i was put on one of those machines with handles you take off and hold and stand bare feet on. if its any consolation it was at a university research centre though doesn't elude from the fact it was a machine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    This (not sure about 5 packs though, what would that look like?)

Everyone can certainly get visible abs though, with enough muscle mass there and low enough bf%.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1975mrolympia.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	140512

See arnies top pack between his pec moobs, some people have that split, so theres 4 small abs then the big flat one at the bottom.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    theres 2 types of abdominal muscle
    the outer ones give you a sixpac but no core strength, the inner ones dont give you definitiion but give you strength

just find ways to work the outer ones and drink sh*tloads of protein shakes lol

[and maybe upload a pic or 2 - before and after?]

xx
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1975mrolympia.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	140512
    See arnies top pack between his pec moobs, some people have that split, so theres 4 small abs then the big flat one at the bottom.
    Yeah I guess, I'd probably just call that a 4-pack though. Suppose Arnie might have a 3-pack then.

(Original post by Sophiemaybabe)
    theres 2 types of abdominal muscle
    the outer ones give you a sixpac but no core strength, the inner ones dont give you definitiion but give you strength

just find ways to work the outer ones and drink sh*tloads of protein shakes lol

[and maybe upload a pic or 2 - before and after?]

xx
    Lol where the **** do you idiots get this ****!?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    Yeah I guess, I'd probably just call that a 4-pack though. Suppose Arnie might have a 3-pack then.

Lol where the **** do you idiots get this ****!?
    i work in a gym... and i have a dance teacher whos all about health...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds dubious if this were true you would be better informed than what you posted (which is a load of nonsense)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by duharvalgt)
    Sounds dubious if this were true you would be better informed than what you posted (which is a load of nonsense)
    so you know everything about it then?
    whats your opinion then?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    whats your opinion then?
    There are four main abdominal muscles, the rectus abdominis, transverse abdominis, and external and internal obliques. The one generally referred to as your 'abs' is the rectus abdominis, the other three form what is generally referred to as your 'obliques'.

The abs' main function is spinal flexion (bringing the chest towards the knees or vice versa) whereas the obliques' main functions are both spinal rotation and lateral flexion (twisting and bending sideways).

A quick google search could have informed you of this, as it is not an opinion but a fact, whereas what you wrote is a load of utter bull****.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    whats your opinion then?
    Nobody knows everything , I know a fair bit and have applied it to myself and it has worked. It was just strange that you gave advice like that out.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    genetics determine everything, no not everyone can
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    genetics determine everything, no not everyone can
    Yes they can, shut up you troll.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lol neither of those things give credit to you bull**** that you slapped up on this forum.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Have a UCAS application question?

Post it in our dedicated forum

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.