The Student Room Group

Why the HELL is America still in Afghan?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Dude - you're a bloody waste of my time. God I get sick of try to educate people like you.
Original post by RadiantA
Are you just stupid - look at all the atrocities I'm talking about. I'm talking about violation of international law. Japan had Unit 731, but then look at the number of American international atrocities compared to an other civilisations. You're not very fast on the up take. I'm getting tired of explaining things to you.

Switzerland human development index is far greater than the U.S's - so you're wrong again.

so executing hundreds of thousands of afgans that didnt want to convert to islam or taking even more into slavery wouldnt be classed as a 'violation of international law' ?

your making a fool of yourself now
Oil
Reply 83
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
so executing hundreds of thousands of afgans that didnt want to convert to islam or taking even more into slavery wouldnt be classed as a 'violation of international law' ?
your making a fool of yourself now

read my edit please.. I said number of violations. Please get things right. You're too stupid to continue with sorry x
Reply 84
The UN Charter is a treaty ratified by the United States and thus part of US law. Under the charter, a country can use armed force against another country only in self-defense or when the Security Council approves. Neither of those conditions was met before the United States invaded Afghanistan. The Taliban did not attack us on 9/11. Nineteen men 15 from Saudi Arabia did, and there was no imminent threat that Afghanistan would attack the US or another UN member country. The council did not authorize the United States or any other country to use military force against Afghanistan. The US war in Afghanistan is illegal.

Marjorie Cohn, professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law, president of the National Lawyers Guild

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposition_to_the_War_in_Afghanistan_(2001%E2%80%93present)

From you're comment I can safely assumed you're not particularly familiar with this sort of stuff. I would also like to point out afghanistan is not a war but an occupation; both have different definitions.

The Taliban were protecting those that carried out 9/11 though. They refused to hand over Bin Laden and there were a large number of al Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan. I think thats a fair justification there for the invasion. Whilst the Taliban did not attack the US they were shielding those that did. al Qaeda carried out quite a few attacks against the US 9/11 was merely the worst of them all. Had the US done nothing al Qaeda would have carried out others too.
Reply 85
you chose to gloss over/ignore those other examples, as a hypocrite would

Because they're irrelevant to the thread.
read my edit please.. I said number of violations. Please get things right. You're too stupid to continue with sorry x

the same principle applies from my answer, the difference is that i am willing to analyse events of the past as well as currently and you are not (unless it relates to the US). Like i said thats the failing of a poorly educated school kid
Original post by harmony_01
Because they're irrelevant to the thread.

Not really, your critisim of the USs foreign policy toward muslim nations, should also allow for examination of muslims own foreign policy - as you did when you yourself first brought up saudi arabia :smile:
Reply 88
Original post by Aj12
The Taliban were protecting those that carried out 9/11 though. They refused to hand over Bin Laden and there were a large number of al Qaeda training camps in Afghanistan. I think thats a fair justification there for the invasion. Whilst the Taliban did not attack the US they were shielding those that did. al Qaeda carried out quite a few attacks against the US 9/11 was merely the worst of them all. Had the US done nothing al Qaeda would have carried out others too.

You're opinions are not international law. The war was illegal as it broke international law. Your justification does not matter - it BROKE International Law.
Reply 89
the same principle applies from my answer, the difference is that i am willing to analyse events of the past as well as currently and you are not (unless it relates to the US). Like i said thats the failing of a poorly educated school kid

I was about to humiliate you - but yeh forget it :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 90
Not really, your critisim of the USs foreign policy toward muslim nations, should also allow for examination of muslims own foreign policy - as you did when you yourself first brought up saudi arabia :smile:

That was still centered around US foreign policy. Considering Saudi royal family is stinking rich and best pals with the USA, why doesn't the USA pressure it to do something to help Afghanistan in order to ''protect Muslim interests''...?
Reply 91
I can't see the point of being in Afghanistan, I think when we do leave we'll not have achieved much. Afghanistan will probably not become a thriving democracy, the taliban will probably regain power to some extent. If we wanted to prevent it from becoming a safe haven for terrorists we could do just as good a job using drones.
Funny how I'm poorly educated when I have won silver medals in the Physics Olympiad, have a UMS average far greater than the majority of people. My IQ stands at 250 ^^

I'm unsure who the uneducated one is now x

oh - maybe I should list all the qualifications I did 4 years early just to help you understand how uneducated I am.^^

And yet didnt have a clue about the mughal invasions of afganistan or the ottoman attrocites in europe and north africa. Nor did you realise that IQ is not of measure of level of education....
that is funny

:hmmmm:
That was still centered around US foreign policy. Considering Saudi royal family is stinking rich and best pals with the USA, why doesn't the USA pressure it to do something to help Afghanistan in order to ''protect Muslim interests''...?

why should the US be concerned with protecting 'muslim interests'? :hmmm:
Original post by George231086
I can't see the point of being in Afghanistan, I think when we do leave we'll not have achieved much. Afghanistan will probably not become a thriving democracy, the taliban will probably regain power to some extent. If we wanted to prevent it from becoming a safe haven for terrorists we could do just as good a job using drones.

what do you mean, constantly have drones circling it for the next 60 years?:smile:
Reply 95
why should the US be concerned with protecting 'muslim interests'? :hmmm:

Exactly...what I mean. :rolleyes:
Firstly, the country to which I think you refer is the country of Afghanistan. An 'Afghan' is typically referred to as a human who is resident in Afghanistan.

Secondly, some say we are in the age of the American Empire. The British Empire is dead and gone and now this new Empire is alive. Make of that what you will.
Exactly...what I mean. :rolleyes:

I dont see what point you are grasping at, But i ll take a stab its something about saudi foreign policy . They are strategic ally of the US, but apart from a mutual emnity with iran, they arnt 'best buddies' The USA gets oil and sells tanks and planes to saudi, thats the extent of the relatuionship. The US doesnt support saudis 'destroy israel' stance nor its tacit support for a sunni taleban/al-quaeda regeime in afganistan. The US follows its own agenda as youd expect.
Reply 98
what do you mean, constantly have drones circling it for the next 60 years?:smile:

Probably better than having troops on the ground propping up the weak Afghan government for the next 60 years. I'd love Afghanistan to become a thriving democracy, but it just seems very unlikely.
"Let's declare ourselves winners....and get the hell out." It was true in 1985, when Bill Mauldin said it of the Red Army...and it's true today for Americans.

The place is a cesspool, and that's the way the majority of them seem to want it.

I feel the gravest sympathy for the women we would be condemning to slavery, but we simply cannot civilize that sewer of a country.

This one, we lose.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending