Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If I wanted to move to France

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Forced to go every year of my life. This year I'm old enough to stay at home (and am going to Italy, which has a far nicer culture, better language and more beautiful landscape).
    A better language? How is any language 'better'? people communicate better in Italian than they do in French?

Fair enough if you don't like France as a country, but a language is a language, it's just a way of communicating with other people.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Like all we eat is boiled, salted beef? The French have managed to advance beyond frog's legs and snails and their national food obsession (which creates one of the things that annoy me about it too,namely sky high food prices and no equivalent to SmartPrice) does lead to some seriously good cooking.

I prefer Paris to London, but admit that my position was the opposite until I could speak French fluently; it becomes a lot better once you do, as the French don't take kindly to you speaking a foreign language at them (obviously never had chance to see what happens if I do this in London).

This is slightly off topic from OP's original post anyway and have you been to France, and it's many different regions?
    Paris is inferior to London in every way. As Ken Livingstone said- we don't consider ourselves in competition with Paris because we've already won that. New York is the great city London should be competing with now.

Of course the French don't take kindly to others speaking other languages; it's all part of their xenophobic outlook on the world, everyone should speak la francaise cos it makes the women sound sexy (and the men sound like women).

Additionally, French is in serious decline, and has been for many years now. What was once the lingua franca amongst all the world's elite and educated is now a language confined to France, a small part of Belgium, and a single province of Canada. Hardly the great language it once was.

I have been to France, usually go to Languedoc Rousillon or Brittany (which isn't a historically French region) but last year ventured to Provence, which I'm told is like Italy, just not as good. If there's one thing people can't accuse me of, it is of not going to France. My dislike of the place is based on many years of experience trekking there for the Summer hols.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LysFromParis)
    I am not bitter, I just failed to see how the UK situation was better especially given the fact that your governments ended up selling all your industries to French and German. I don't see a country where the largest energy producer is a foreign state own company as a very healthy one. I don't understand how British people are complaining about rather pity thing such as Polish immigrants or other minor EU related issues, when there is obviously such larger issue which seems totally ignored. I would feel betrayed by my government if they did the same to my country, but British seems strangely to not care at all.
    Erm, it is France not the UK that has a huge racist voting block in the FN and in Sarkozy who tries to court these people.

I actually know a black French guy who lives in Scotland where he experiences nothing like the racism he experienced in France.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Forced to go every year of my life. This year I'm old enough to stay at home (and am going to Italy, which has a far nicer culture, better language and more beautiful landscape).
    Well okay I guess everyone has different preferences- I actually love France but whatever.
    This thread has nothing to do with bitchslapping european countries so I'm just gonna leave it at that.
    As for the food though, you can't deny that French patisserie is about as good as it gets.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    It's available throughout north west europe. The most liberal, most tolerant welfare societies basically. They're having that used against them. Holland is basically history and Sweden is on the way.

I'm not sure if you could move in as a westerner and get freebies though. I think you'd need to join some identity group. Convert?
    Surely the European ones are most likely to get freebies since they would be EU nationals?
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonged.)
    Merah?
    Why are you bringing that terrorist up?
    (Original post by Cyanohydrin)
    I actually know a black French guy who lives in Scotland where he experiences nothing like the racism he experienced in France.
    Unless he is muslim, there shouldn't be any hate against him... France (especially now after the recent and on-going shootings) does not have a favourable relationship with muslims.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)

Unless he is muslim, there shouldn't be any hate against him... France (especially now after the recent and on-going shootings) does not have a favourable relationship with muslims.
    Fairly sure he isn't a muslim, although to be honest not sure never asked him. He has a French name, is that common amongst French muslims?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paris is inferior to London in every way. As Ken Livingstone said- we don't consider ourselves in competition with Paris because we've already won that. New York is the great city London should be competing with now.

Of course the French don't take kindly to others speaking other languages; it's all part of their xenophobic outlook on the world, everyone should speak la francaise cos it makes the women sound sexy (and the men sound like women).

Additionally, French is in serious decline, and has been for many years now. What was once the lingua franca amongst all the world's elite and educated is now a language confined to France, a small part of Belgium, and a single province of Canada. Hardly the great language it once was.

I have been to France, usually go to Languedoc Rousillon or Brittany (which isn't a historically French region) but last year ventured to Provence, which I'm told is like Italy, just not as good. If there's one thing people can't accuse me of, it is of not going to France. My dislike of the place is based on many years of experience trekking there for the Summer hols.
    I am aware Brittany, and many other parts of the modern Hexagon, haven't always been French, including parts of Languedoc too (Catalan).

Fair enough, I just don't get how you can have such a vehement hatred of one country (much as I can sympathise with trekking across the endless rape seed desert in a car every summer).
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

He and his family (he left his family) cost the state thousands in various benefits. Then he produced his spawn and it had to be put down. Then he wanted to sue the state (lol). So it seems you can do all these things in France that the OP said.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    My dislike of the place is based on many years of experience trekking there for the Summer hols.
    And French people's dislike of you and people like you is that you think you know France just from a summer holiday, come and live here and then give an opinion or don't give on at all.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    I am aware Brittany, and many other parts of the modern Hexagon, haven't always been French, including parts of Languedoc too (Catalan).

Fair enough, I just don't get how you can have such a vehement hatred of one country (much as I can sympathise with trekking across the endless rape seed desert in a car every summer).
    Languedoc has always been French, hasn't it? Maybe not French speaking- they used to speak the Occitan (Langue d'Oc) there, hence the name.

Plus, I'm English. It's in my blood to dislike France. Our entire histories are pretty much just going to war with each other.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    And French people's dislike of you and people like you is that you think you know France just from a summer holiday, come and live here and then give an opinion or don't give on at all.
    Why would I go and live in a country I demonstrably don't like? If my holidays there haven't given me a good impression of France, how much worse would I feel about France if I actually had to live there?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.