Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"The 1%" and what's wrong with that?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruperts)
    Oh, and as a final thought, if you think wealth redistribution will make low paid workers in the UK better off, try dividing world GDP by world population and see how much everybody ends up with.
    I actually did this.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...d+by+7+billion

£9020.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzznbass)
    So we should just tar them with the same brush despite the fact some of them came from humble backgrounds :rolleyes:

Because it's impossible for ordinary people to become rich ?

Think again, this is the ways things are, there has always been a 1% group in every system. I think this whole anti 1% is ridiculous. Granted inequality is rising but how is attacking rich people going to achieve anything ?
    Impossible, no. Improbable, yes.

"The rich" justify their richness by saying "I did it so can you". That is just a pure insult to every hard working person out there. By "every hard working person" I don't mean each and every one of the 99%. But a lot of them.

I don't think wealth distribution is the answer at all.

What I do wish though, is that the 1% would quit telling the 99% "we're all in it together" when that's clearly not the case.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    Although I agree with what you are saying. Those that took out loans that they knew they couldn't afford to are just as bad as those people that gave them out.
    You think so? I can't blame people for wanting to own their own house or buy a car when these things are marketed (by the rich) as being both desirable and necessary.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Bear in mind that the cost of things like food/water etc would probably also plummet, negating your implication that everyone would be too poor...
    The economy would fall to pieces. It would be absolute chaos. It's obviously completely unrealistic, but the point is that it demonstrates how even "the 99%" in this country is very rich in comparison with the rest of the world despite not working any "harder" etc., and that if you support wealth redistribution then you are essentially supporting having your own 'luck' dissected and spread across the world.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Because people are jealous of, and resent, those that are better than them in some way.
    That is a remarkably stunted and over-simplistic view.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    Impossible, no. Improbable, yes.

"The rich" justify their richness by saying "I did it so can you". That is just a pure insult to every hard working person out there. By "every hard working person" I don't mean each and every one of the 99%. But a lot of them.

Insult ? how ? If a rich person said that to me , I'd probably agree
    I don't think wealth distribution is the answer at all.

Don't you mean wealth redistribution ?
    What I do wish though, is that the 1% would quit telling the 99% "we're all in it together" when that's clearly not the case.
    The only rich I've heard saying that are politicians unsuprisingly.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wibletg)
    I actually did this.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i...d+by+7+billion

£9020.
    Nearly, that figure is in USD so it's about £5,600. To put that into context, someone on minimum wage in the UK earns £12k. So if wealth was redistributed fairly we'd all be earning less than half of minimum wage.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because the only rich often quoted so that us mere mortals can hear what they have to say (or want to be heard) are politicians. To counter that argument, I haven't heard a rich person who isn't a politician say they don't agree
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    Because the only rich often quoted so that us mere mortals can hear what they have to say (or want to be heard) are politicians. To counter that argument, I haven't heard a rich person who isn't a politician say they don't agree
    I have . His name is Warren Buffett. I'm guessing you think I don't agree with him though haha
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You edited as I was typing.

Yes, I meant re-distribution.

And just because I can't actually word it any better myself, I'll once again quote the previous article.

So "anyone can get rich" isn't just untrue, it's insultingly untrue. You can't have a society where everyone is an investment banker. And you can't have a society where you pay six figures to every good policeman, nurse, firefighter, schoolteacher, carpenter, electrician and all of the other ten thousand professions that civilization needs to survive (and that rich people need in order to stay rich).

It's like setting a jar of moonshine on the floor of a boxcar full of 10 hobos and saying, "Now fight for it!" Sure, in the bloody aftermath you can say to each of the losers, "Hey, you could have had it if you'd fought harder!" and that's true on an individual level. But not collectively -- you knew goddamned well that nine hobos weren't getting any hooch that night. So why are you acting like it's their fault that only one of them is drunk

Read more: 6 Things Rich People Need to Stop Saying | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-things...#ixzz1rYIELKjF
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe people object to the fundamental idea that a person can be paid according to the demand there is for their work. If a person works hard to provide an important service that others may not be capable of providing, it doesn't seem unreasonable for them to earn more. I think there are two reasons people typically object to the current situation. Firstly, the gap in wealth between rich and poor is staggeringly large. The head of a company earning more than his employees seems tolerable, but if he earns more than 50 times as much as the average employee, this seems grossly out of proportion. Secondly, many of the highest paid jobs are in areas which don't actually provide meaningful services - people make huge amounts of money in the financial world not by creating anything of value or by providing a service that brings any benefits to the society in which they operate, but by simply moving around and speculating on existing wealth. When the means by which many of the richest earn their money is a system almost entirely removed from the world in which the vast majority of people live, it's much less easy to rationalise their greater wealth by claiming they provide a service which is worth that amount of money.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have . His name is Warren Buffett. I'm guessing you think I don't agree with him though haha
    Oh come on, he's hardly the stereotypical rich bloke to quote is he lol
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ruperts)
    Nearly, that figure is in USD so it's about £5,600. To put that into context, someone on minimum wage in the UK earns £12k. So if wealth was redistributed fairly we'd all be earning less than half of minimum wage.
    Whoops, rookie mistake

Yeah, I think people forget that to some parts of Africa and Asia we are their '1%'.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice Marmite)
    You think so? I can't blame people for wanting to own their own house or buy a car when these things are marketed (by the rich) as being both desirable and necessary.
    They are not necessary just because they are led to believe they are, doesn't mean they are. Sometimes a little common sense will not go a miss.
    It's not anybody elses fault if they are stupid enough to believe the crap on adverts.
    Society as a whole needs to learn to be happy with what they have. This greed will lead people nowhere.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    You edited as I was typing.

Yes, I meant re-distribution.

And just because I can't actually word it any better myself, I'll once again quote the previous article.
    Thats my quote in bold, it got messed up on here , I'm not used to quoting on here.
    It's all about that if anyone wants to be rich, in our society they can because it allows that. Obviously there are people who don't and won't want to. Anyone can do it- it's a tool-an aspiration. Doesn't mean it's false or doesn't work. Yeah, society needs people doing ordinary jobs- I didn't say other wise. My point was and is based on an individual's perspective- if you want to get rich regardless of your circumstances- do it.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    They are not necessary just because they are led to believe they are, doesn't mean they are. Sometimes a little common sense will not go a miss.
    It's not anybody elses fault if they are stupid enough to believe the crap on adverts.
    I agree to some extent but when there is an accepted culture of home ownership no matter what prices they are ramped up to then it becomes an accepted behaviour that isn't so easy to escape from.

As for the bold: yeah sure, apart from the person who's idea it was to make the advert.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shani)
    Oh come on, he's hardly the stereotypical rich bloke to quote is he lol
    Why not ? is he not part of the 1 % ? :rolleyes:. Pretty good example there.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thats my quote in bold, it got messed up on here , I'm not used to quoting on here.
    It's all about that if anyone wants to be rich, in our society they can because it allows that. Obviously there are people who don't and won't want to. Anyone can do it- it's a tool-an aspiration. Doesn't mean it's false or doesn't work. Yeah, society needs people doing ordinary jobs- I didn't say other wise. My point was and is based on an individual's perspective- if you want to get rich regardless of your circumstances- do it.
    They dogmatically hold this rather narrow-minded view in America although not as strongly as in the 30s and yet there is so much literature inspired by the failure of the American dream.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    They dogmatically hold this rather narrow-minded view in America although not as strongly as in the 30s and yet there is so much literature inspired by the failure of the American dream.
    Well how is changing it going to achieve anything ? Ok then howabout "don't try, don't fail". I still believe that you have to have some sort of impetus to encourage people. Yeah they still held that view in the 50's didn't they when things were good. You need something to inspire people in both good times and bad times. If times are hard, shouldn't peope be more willing to escape poverty ?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree to some extent but when there is an accepted culture of home ownership no matter what prices they are ramped up to then it becomes an accepted behaviour that isn't so easy to escape from.

As for the bold: yeah sure, apart from the person who's idea it was to make the advert.
    Is there any need to be a sheep though? Just because everybody else is buying a house does that mean you should also?
    Spoiler:
    Show

If you believe the first advert you are a ****ing idiot.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 11, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.