Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will we ever achieve full employment?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    For a country to function effectively is it necessary to achieve full employment?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I'm sure others are more competent to comment than me, but there has to be a surplus of unemployed people in a capitalist society.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The closest we will get to it is if there is a WW3.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. Some unemployment is desirable in a capitalist system, which is why unemployment benefit is always the morally right thing. Despite the tabloid press' obsession with benefit scroungers, the median length of claims for JSA was only 20 weeks in 2011. Interestingly, those under 25 claimed for shorter periods, on average, than those 25 and over.

Source: https://www.nomisweb.co.uk/query/sel...heme.asp?opt=3
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, we won't.
    Not with mass immigration. The more people who come in, the less jobs there are to share out (so competition increases, which puts more people off finding a job, so more than ever are unemployed). It's a vicious cycle.

The only way I can ever see the situation improving in Britain is if we halt immigration once and for all, and kick out people who shouldn't be here.

Unfortunately, no one has the balls to do this.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, simply because there aren't enough jobs to go around and many people just don't want to work. It's up to the Government, however, to make sure that these people do work or somehow contribute to Society.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Also there will always be stay at home mums and dad by choice, even though that is classed as unemployment.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    We need about 1,000,000 people unemployed (NAIRU) so that there is demand in the economy and wage rate/inflation is steady.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    No, simply because there aren't enough jobs to go around and many people just don't want to work. It's up to the Government, however, to make sure that these people do work or somehow contribute to Society.
    But people create their own jobs. If there were 1000 people living in a community by definition 1000 jobs exist because each individual has to provide him or herself with a material existence. If an additional 500 people turn up they increase demand proportionately, they don't say "oh I can't feed myself because there are no jobs" nutrition is a necessity so the need for food creates work.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    But people create their own jobs. If there were 1000 people living in a community by definition 1000 jobs exist because each individual has to provide him or herself with a material existence. If an additional 500 people turn up they increase demand proportionately, they don't say "oh I can't feed myself because there are no jobs" nutrition is a necessity so the need food creates work.
    Didn't you read all of my post?
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGirlNextDoor)
    We need about 1,000,000 people unemployed (NAIRU) so that there is demand in the economy and wage rate/inflation is steady.
    That doesn't make any sense. The economically active don't need any adult dependents to maintain: they act as a drag on productivity.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Didn't you read all of my post?
    You said "there aren't enough jobs to go around", irrespective of the rest of your post that statement is demonstrably false. There's a perfect correlation between poulation size and the number of jobs available, every additional individual creates 1 additional job. That's not economics it's common sense.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No and you might want to look up the NAIRU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAIRU) and the link between unemployment and inflation.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, unemployment is needed for healthy competition to better society.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelyknight)
    No, we won't.
    Not with mass immigration. The more people who come in, the less jobs there are to share out (so competition increases, which puts more people off finding a job, so more than ever are unemployed). It's a vicious cycle.

The only way I can ever see the situation improving in Britain is if we halt immigration once and for all, and kick out people who shouldn't be here.

I agree with you 100% on immigration however I don't think it's the overriding factor when it comes to full employment. Countries with larger populations than ours (i.e China, the U.S) tend to have more total employment for the sheer fact that their economies are larger and contain more people. In theory we could grow our economy to 70/80 million+ and still create enough jobs but virtually nobody (other than the hard left) think it's a good idea. I oppose mass immigration just because it's rubbish
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cognito_08)
    No and you might want to look up the NAIRU (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAIRU) and the link between unemployment and inflation.
    Have you ever heard of stagflation?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Monaco has 0% unemployment, lets copy what they do.... oh wait.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you 100% on immigration however I don't think it's the overriding factor when it comes to full employment. Countries with larger populations than ours (i.e China, the U.S) tend to have more total employment for the sheer fact that their economies are larger and contain more people. In theory we could grow our economy to 70/80 million+ and still create enough jobs but virtually nobody (other than the hard left) think it's a good idea. I oppose mass immigration just because it's rubbish
    That is true, I guess. But I hate the thought of Britain becoming some sort of money making machine, with zillions of people dashing around everywhere with no thought in their heads except work and money. At least that's what I see when I think of the US or China. And I hate the idea of living in a large population. Small populations are cosier, happier, have more in common and have better communication with each other. That's just what I think.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    You said "there aren't enough jobs to go around", irrespective of the rest of your post that statement is demonstrably false. There's a perfect correlation between poulation size and the number of jobs available, every additional individual creates 1 additional job. That's not economics it's common sense.
    Well actually they're dependent on each other and are linked.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelyknight)
    No, we won't.

Idiot. Read a ****ing textbook.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 9, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.