Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What could I do with £1500?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to go away for the summer, but I am not entirely sure what I could do. I have never travelled around Europe alone before, so I am keen on some adventure, but at the same time I only have a small budget. I am learning French, Spanish and German in anticipation of my A Levels and I would like to perhaps visit either of these countries to practice my speaking skills. I'm just asking for some ideas of where to go and what might be the cheapest options.

Thank you.

EDIT - I'd also like to add that I have never visited London before as a tourist; I have been before but only through work and only fleetingly. Would spending a few days in London take a significant portion of my budget?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like Interrailing might be the thing for you. And you have a fairly big budget for the average interrailer so you could really make a thing of it (stay in hotels rather than hostels, for example, or simply visit more places).

You'll find lots of advice about Interrail on this forum.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    I want to go away for the summer, but I am not entirely sure what I could do. I have never travelled around Europe alone before, so I am keen on some adventure, but at the same time I only have a small budget. I am learning French, Spanish and German in anticipation of my A Levels and I would like to perhaps visit either of these countries to practice my speaking skills. I'm just asking for some ideas of where to go and what might be the cheapest options.

Thank you.
    Didn't you just answer your own question?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Sounds like Interrailing might be the thing for you. And you have a fairly big budget for the average interrailer so you could really make a thing of it (stay in hotels rather than hostels, for example, or simply visit more places).

You'll find lots of advice about Interrail on this forum.
    Thank you for your reply, Rasc. Yes I have briefly looked at interrailing before. I'd like to add however that I prefer to stay in Hostels, rather than hotels. I've spent some time at hostels in Scotland before and I prefer the communal aspect, it's a fun way of meeting people, and it helps to keep the costs down.

(Original post by Ryan-Hetherington)
    Didn't you just answer your own question?
    No, you misread my opening post. I asked what I could do with the money I have, not where I could go.
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 21stcenturyphantom)
    Thank you for your reply, Rasc. Yes I have briefly looked at interrailing before. I'd like to add however that I prefer to stay in Hostels, rather than hotels. I've spent some time at hostels in Scotland before and I prefer the communal aspect, it's a fun way of meeting people, and it helps to keep the costs down.
    Okay, that's a fair point if you're travelling alone. Either way, my general point was that your budget is bigger than the average person doing interrail so you have quite a lot of options that someone on a low budget might not have.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Thailand for 1 month. Done.

You'll meet loads of Germans and a fair few Spanish and French.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For about 3 weeks in 2008 (so consider any inflationary factors) . . .

I spent a week in Hvar (the Monte Carlo of Eastern Europe) before heading to Zagreb, mainland Croatia and getting the train to Belgrade. I then headed up to Budapest for a bit and went to a festival before checking out Prague. After Prague, I popped over to Berlin and stayed in a hostel which looked like part of the Fifth Element film set. I then headed off to Amsterdam for a bit before having a little saunter through Belgium and France, and on to a ferry home.

All with £1000!

Interrail - Hostels

£1500 is ample amount for a good adventure. If you are on your own though, you should be especially prepared.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Eastern Europe would be a lot cheaper than the west. Then again, for that budget you could get about 6 weeks in Thailand, or about 12 weeks in Nepal.

A day trip to London would be pretty much travel expenses only - loads of museums, sights etc, are free! Definitely do a little planning and give it a go.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, a 1 month Eurolines pass will set you back about £350. Then it's £50 a day (E30 for a hostel, the rest on food, more transport, drink and touristy ****e). SO, about 3 weeks of fun in Europe for that. You'll spend less in the East - highly recommended... Czech R, Berlin, Croatia, Romania and the weird weird east. Public transport around the east is cheaper booked on the spot, not with a pass. You can get around for next to nothing.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even staying in a well-respected 3 star hotel in Bangkok, you could spend upto 2 months, and still have money left over to pay for airfares there and back.

You could do Bangkok, Phuket, AND Koh Samui, all with Ibis Hotels.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

What are your A-level predictions?

Join our AS and A2 results day chat thread

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.