The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Anfield. It really stinks of stale urine. Not surprised since it's located in Liverpool.
Reply 101
QPR by a mile! Couldn't have been more cramped
Turf Moor. I wasn't sat in a particularly bad place but I couldn't see much when the ball went down the other end of the pitch because of a massive support beam for the roof of the stand. The seats were also wooden and despite them beating us 2-0 the Burnley fans were silent.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by I Kant Spall
Are you guys mad? Even the little grounds you've posted look cozy enough, and the soulless ones like the Reebok have comparatively more "history" than what we have to deal with in America. My "home ground", if you can even call it that, is shared with an American football team.

Seriously, look at the state of this

:lolwut:

That's mad. how much does that hold normally?
Reply 104
Original post by jacob1208
Oh right, what team do you support then?. I know that St Albans are in a lower league than conference now. My friend supports Luton so I sometimes see them and it is a ****hole (the town and stadium).
I support QPR and have a season ticket there. The stadium IMO the best in premier league just because its traditional, great atmosphere and that you are so close to the pitch. However if you are over 6 foot you will be very uncomfortable as it is so cramped

Rushden, although they went bust so its AFC Rushden now in some godforsaken league where some teams literally just play on a roped off field in front of 30 people, and to think just under 10 years ago we were playing you in division 2/league 1, now there's 10 levels between us:eek:
(edited 11 years ago)
Scunthorpe.....pitch was a sandbox and the stadium was a shed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Blackpool-can't remember the stadium's name. The away end was an uncovered temporary stand and it was raining. I haven't been to many away games though tbh so I can't really judge.
Reply 107
Original post by Dr DaMan
Turf Moor. I wasn't sat in a particularly bad place but I couldn't see much when the ball went down the other end of the pitch because of a massive support beam for the roof of the stand. The seats were also wooden and despite them being us 2-0 the Burnley fans were silent.

Turf Moor has to be the worst in the Championship.

In addition to the wooden seats and beam, the roof was also leaking, with the solution being a mass of tape around the most affected areas of seats. If you wanted a pint at half time they would pour it out of a cheap branded can.
Original post by jerseymackem
Portsmouth's Fratton Park. It is literally four warehouses around a pitch. Saying that, I've only ever been to three grounds (Stadium of Light, Fratton Park and Anoeta)

:rofl:
Reply 109
Are you guys mad? Even the little grounds you've posted look cozy enough, and the soulless ones like the Reebok have comparatively more "history" than what we have to deal with in America. My "home ground", if you can even call it that, is shared with an American football team.

That's Gillette Stadium isn't it? Why do so many American football grounds seem to have massive 3 tier stands and then chunks just... missing?

Actually, being Irish I can't really talk...

Croke Park. Capacity 81,000+
www.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://www.universityobserver.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/croke-park.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.universityobserver.ie/tag/croke-park-agreement/&h=181&w=278&sz=1&tbnid=2yWbK_t0qA0SdM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=245&zoom=1&usg=__2o09-7ncTL559uAZa2ii3sVW8Fg=&docid=_5o9lT41mbFkiM&itg=1&sa=X&ei=SMMeUcLnIInR4QTK8oC4Dw&ved=0CKgBEPwdMA0

Aviva Stadium (I still call it Lansdowne Road). Capacity 50,000
https://www.google.ie/search?q=aviva+sta&hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C1WPDB_enIE503IE503&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GsQeUbxEoYXgBOKugaAC&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#hl=en&tbo=d&rlz=1C1WPDB_enIE503IE503&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=aviva+stadium&oq=aviva+stadium&gs_l=img.3..0l10.4027.5708.0.6063.6.2.1.3.4.0.191.328.0j2.2.0...0.0...1c.1.3.img.154VQg5gMr8&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.bGE&fp=63499284a3dd585b&biw=1366&bih=667&imgrc=ejCwTBub7H88mM%3A%3B4knAad9uR2u7JM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pmgroup-global.com%252Fgetattachment%252Fcf677004-60c1-4644-b42b-3ba3ce0c500e%252FAviva-3.aspx%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.pmgroup-global.com%252Faboutus%252Fkeyprojects%252Faviva-stadium-redevelopment-ireland.aspx%3B550%3B335
(edited 11 years ago)

How can you not love the Gillette Stadium?!? Besides it being a **** to get out of after games its one of my favourite stadiums.

Original post by Vintage
That's mad. how much does that hold normally?

Close to 67,000 i think?
Reply 111
didnt Portsmouth have a stand which have no roof at one stage so that you got drenched when it was raining.
Reply 112
Victory Park in Chorley - isnt a bad ground but quite hard to find.

The classic case of "it looked nice in the photos!" ... it's the Estadio Municipal do Braga, a ground literally in the darkness on the edge of town.

Located on the outskirts of one of the most boring cities I've ever visited, so you have to get a cab or bus to it if you can actually find one. Had to walk across a grassy verge thing to get to the away end in torrential rain, slipping in the mud. Poorly lit outside walking to the ground. Very high 2nd tier, lots of climbing. The cliff looks **** in the dark, all the wind and rain blows in, the ground was half full at best so I could see grey seats everywhere ... and the water leaked into the scoreboard, blew the electrics and suspended play for a few minutes!

It's such a cool idea for a ground cutting it out of a quarry but in reality it's absolutely bobbins. :frown:
:biggrin: top post Ian.

Remember reading about that on this article - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2411492/Top-10-beautiful-football-grounds.html

Some beautifully located stadia on there. Not on that list but Molde's ground is lovely too.

Reply 115
Peterborough. That place is literally terrible.

However, Stamford Bridge is also really just a mashup of extensions on top of extensions, and feels really crammed in when you're inside.

I'm from Coventry, and we have the Ricoh Arena... sometimes anyways lol, when we're not up in arms with the council
On reflection and having been to about twenty league grounds, I'd probably say that Stoke has the least appeal of the lot. In the middle of nowhere, ugly town, completely bereft of pubs and drinking culture, freezing cold away end in winter and strange home support. Absolutely no intention of returning, but probably will.
Kenilworth Road. It is one of the most derelict, horrible and run-down places I've ever been to. Plus, the majority of Luton fans make the EDL look like fairies.
Firhill - Partick Thistle

No sinks or anywhere to dry/wash hands in toilets
Seats also thickly covered in heavy dust which leaves a lovely brown stain on your trousers
Original post by Marshyy
Depends what you mean by worst, i prefer the older, falling apart grounds.

Fratton park was pretty much falling apart, as was London Road but the terraces made it better.

PUP

Latest