Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Handbrake readjustment - smell, then no smell. Help?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone. I have a car problem and need advice!

Last week was my MOT. I failed because my 'handbrake efficiency (was) below requirements.' I gave them permission to see what was wrong exactly with the handbrake, and they told me it needed readjusting/tightening and a bit of a clean. I gave them the go ahead to do that and I collected my car later that day. My home is only a two minute drive from the test centre, so I noticed nothing wrong as I went back - apart from the adjusted handbrake, of course. I noticed immediately it was a lot tighter.

Anyway, I drove it today for the first time and I noticed an awful smell as I got out of the car. I'd noticed the car had struggled up a steep hill, but put this down to very rainy conditions. I'd gone into uni to do some work but left after 45 minutes because I was worried about my car. I drove home and there was no smell, and it seemed to drive better, too.

What do I do now? I can't really identify the smell, I assumed it was a burning smell but honestly I don't know. Do I monitor the problem, or call the mechanic first thing when they reopen tomorrow to see if they didn't tighten the handbrake too much? A friend who knows a bit about this sort of thing suggested I need to allow the brake cable to settle, as it has been stretched and that could have caused the smell for the first big drive. Don't know if you need this info, but it's a Nissan Micra 2001.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    How many 'click's does your handbrake make when you apply it, if you know what I mean?

If you can remember was the smell only coming from one side of the car?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Touch each road wheel after a drive.
    Does one feel appreciably hotter than the other?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Touch each road wheel after a drive.
    Does one feel appreciably hotter than the other?
    Hi, sorry about the lateness of this reply, I've been MIA for a while (dissertation = very, very fun).

I have felt each road wheel after numerous drives now (five minutes trip down the road, 20 minutes drive etc) and they all seem to be the same temperature-wise. I have not smelt anything since the first time I properly drove it after the MOT, perhaps it was a one off?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like it, or the pad did come into contact slightly and you burnt away the material. Either way, if it is OK just shrug your shoulders and think, meh.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was the handbrake the only thing they repaired?

If you've had any welding done (especially exhaust area) you might get a burning smell as the joins heat up at first. When I had a new catalyst my car smelt like a bonfire once we got it back :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robk93)
    Was the handbrake the only thing they repaired?

If you've had any welding done (especially exhaust area) you might get a burning smell as the joins heat up at first. When I had a new catalyst my car smelt like a bonfire once we got it back :rolleyes:
    Apart from the handbrake readjustment and cleaning, the only other thing they fixed was a broken stop light, and I can't imagine it being that!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.