The Student Room Group

Would you marry outside your social class ?

Scroll to see replies

Thanks for all the replies guys .
Original post by Vikki1805
Threads like this really bug me.

Why does a persons class, race, age, gender etc matter? If you are attracted to someone, you like them and you want to be with them and vice versa, then none of the above matter in the slightest.

Some people just need to take the pole from out of their bum and realise there's so much more to life.

Yes but not everyone thinks like you thats why i am asking .
Some might say that people from a certain class have more in common with their own class
Original post by Wilfred Little
If you want an intelligent partner you're less likely to find one who is working class, in my experience. I am working class and the quality of people here is generally lower, most of the people I grew up with are either in prison (or have been), on the dole or in council flats and houses with young kids and they are in their early 20s. None of the people I grew up with were particularly smart. Education is not good here.

I've met some intelligent working class women but it's rare for me to find one and as a general rule of thumb, middle class women or women who come from better backgrounds are more intelligent, probably because they've had a better education. It's not set in stone and I'd date a woman of any class if I liked her but it's the truth. And intelligence is very important to me and probably the most attractive trait in a woman.

I generally get on better with people who are working class though (btw I'm not really a fan of "class" but it is what it is).

Original post by Dee Leigh
IA :yep: but I think the reason for this is because of compatibility. So people would find someone of a different race/age/class/gender etc incompatible. So, for example, someone of a middle class background might find themselves incompatible with someone of a working class backgroud.

Original post by Aconcernedparent
That is a hypothetical situation which has no relevance because it is just that...hypothetical. People don't date over the phone. Even when online dating, you'll have a certain idea of a person's social status through their profile (suffice to say they're honest). And both these situations make up a marginal part of dating, and is probably not what the OP had in mind.

Every time you meet someone, you have an idea about their social status, even if it is subconsciously. If I meet someone from my home country, I'll be able to tell within 5 seconds what 'part' of society they belong to. That is not judgment, that's how everybody is, at least those with remotely good observation skills. It's the same thing as observing someone is good-looking or not, elegant or not, charismatic or not, introverted or extroverted. You can choose whether you think those things matter, but you will always notice. You cannot say social class is a factor people care about or not, because it's not ONE factor, it's made up of plenty of things. Being 'upper class' carries with it a HUGE number of things (positive and negative), to such an extent that if a guy or a girl only dates upper class people, I wouldn't hold it against them. They know what work for them.

I will naturally surround myself with people of the same social status (from my neighborhood, my private uni, my sports club). I could choose to go outside of that to deliberately find a guy of a different background, or I could choose to deliberately seek out those few guys from school who happens to be from less fortunate families. But speaking from experience, that gives no particular profit, at least not to be worth the effort.

Original post by theoferdinand
Yes but not everyone thinks like you thats why i am asking .
Some might say that people from a certain class have more in common with their own class

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I have slightly misunderstood the question and as to what the OP was asking.

I'd like to clarify I don't think there is anything wrong with having a preference of the sort of person you'd like to date.

I personally would not base my life partner on where they stand in a social class, how much money they have, where they grew up and where they were educated.
Yes, I would find it hard to date someone who lacks general knowledge and has little intelligence, but if I liked someone and then found out they were from a lower class background, but I still found myself very much attracted to them and they didn't fall into the stereotypical idea of someone from a lower class background, I would not suddenly decide not to be with them, just because of a social class they supposedly fall into.

The class you're put into comes down to how much money you have, where you can afford to live, where you can afford to be educated, what job you have and how much you earn.
Money just isn't important to me in a relationship and so long as someone isn't an idiot, their class would be of very little importance to me.
(edited 12 years ago)
People who base judge someone on their social class before getting a chance to really know them are just making generalisations. Judging someone based on age, race & gender is different but to judge them straight away on social class doesn't seem to add up, it's more about compatabily rather than any label they have :wink:
Couldn't care less about what 'class' she is. Where she was educated, how much money she has, where she lives, how rich is her family.. it all comes down to her mentality to me. :dontknow:
Reply 25
Posh accents. :sexface:
As long as the class didn't get in the way, for example if they were too snobby and too begrudging of my education, like you said about your friend.

I don't mind as long as they're down to earth :smile:
Social classes are bull****. We're all people and we're all the same.
Reply 28
I consider myself working class and I have to say I just cannot get on with middle class people. Not that I have conflicts with them its just I don't really have anything in common with them and find them incredibly boring. But that's just me. I usually go out with with girls that are similar to me in terms of class, upbringing etc because quite frankly...I can just get on with them! I think most people are like this because I find inter-class relationships are INCREDIBLY rare.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
Depends on their personality. My mum was brought up in a working class background, my dad was definitely middle-class, they've been doing fine for the past 18 years, and long may it continue. :biggrin: The important thing is that you have the same values. But I don't think any working class person would want to go out with me, my accent sounds quite posh. It's not that bad really, but when you're surrounded by people with different accents it's quite obvious. I imagine that would turn off a lot of guys. My friend describes me as a "posh Tory bird". Which I find amusing because I'm no more posh than anyone in my town. But anyway, back on topic. No, I wouldn't mind, but if I married someone who was working class I suppose I'd feel guilty somehow for having a more priveleged upbringing. It's only an issue if you make it one though.

Accents are really part of what makes me attracted to some English people and not others. For a lot of non-English people, some English accents are actually a bit hard to understand. I've come across some people who 'swallow' entire letters and if they speak fast on top of that, I simply don't understand what they're saying. Same goes for slang.
Being brought up outside the UK, the British English I have come across is mostly Hugh Grant (what foreigners associate with 'English' :biggrin: ). Although not actually a Hugh Grant fan, I happen to prefer that accent. Not only can I understand it well, it's pleasant to listen to. I don't know exactly where Hugh is from, but I assume his accent is seen as 'proper'.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have noticed the trend that all my ex girlfriends are incredibly middle class. I think that has more to do with my town and my friendship circle than actually seeking out a middle class girl.

A really interesting question though.
Original post by Vikki1805
Threads like this really bug me.

Why does a persons class, race, age, gender etc matter? If you are attracted to someone, you like them and you want to be with them and vice versa, then none of the above matter in the slightest.

Some people just need to take the pole from out of their bum and realise there's so much more to life.

Well said :smile:
Original post by LettersFromTheSky
Well said :smile:

Thank you. :smile:
Original post by Slushxx
Are you trying to say only one class can be considered intellectual? I presume your middle class. I can assure you that there are working class girls who are intellectual as well.

OP - I don't really buy into the idea of marriage, but an individual's class doesn't change my perception of them and wouldn't prevent me forming a relationship with them.

Well for starters classes can change and generally intellectual girls end up being middle class. My parents were from working class backgrounds but became middle class doctors, personality and aspirations shape your class. I just find that on average the qualities that I look for happened to coincide with middle class girls.

Posh accents are cute :smile:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Would I? Yeap. Will I? Probably not :tongue:

Aspiring upper-middle I guess (snap)

My own background is a mixture of North/South (parents family's based up North vs. I was born/raised in London), working class Catholic mother's side (descended from hard drinking Irish immigrants) vs. upper-middle class father's side (double-barreled super-rich Scottish merchant ancestry), and a mixture of state/private education. When you come from a mixed background you're probably more open to the notion of class transcendence/can conceive of class as becoming less and less relevant, and more fluid in a temporal sense :holmes:

I should also have mentioned my situation is further confused by the fact that my Dad's family are working class brummies, none of whom have been to university, while my grandfather on my mother's side has an inherited knighthood. I suppose I've never really understood the fuss about class because being 'of a class' has never been part of my life.

I don't know about 'aspiring', again because I don't even have a good understanding of what my 'class' or anyone else's would be, and I can't aspire to an unknown goal.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending