The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by avig613
Unlike some of the other posters, I believe that all lying is wrong. You are a morally corrupt person if you think that small lies are ok.

Have you ever lied?

Pretty rich coming from a guy who takes sides with Israel. :rolleyes:
Reply 21
Original post by Surprises!
I know somebody who lied about everything at their MMI interview, from their extra curricular activities to what they did and experienced and who they met at their work experience placements, and i'm not sure what to do about it.

I've known this for a week (she told me) and it's really bothering me. I truly believe that she doesn't deserve the offer because doctors should be honest and trustworthy, and lying about every minute detail about ones application,and getting away with it, is not, so I feel inclined to notify the admissions team and allow them deal with it (if).
Should I?

P.S: I don't want any replies telling me that this isn't any of my business - it bothers me that she's lied about so much, and subsequently holds an offer. It's almost as if the interviewers met a mask instead of the person and I feel like she's snatched an offer away from other potential borderline applicants who may or may not have excelled at their interview.

Because it ISN'T any of your business. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by mrshinyshoes
Maybe she should of thought about it before lying? The amount of people in my school with no offers for medicine who are having to become health care assistants for a year would certainly have something to say about it don't you think?

Did you tell lies by any chance?

Ask those same people would they say white lies to get into medicine. Chances are they would.

In the words of House M.D. "Everybody lies".
Honestly, I know where you are coming from. This is what I would do:

This is a dishonest person who doesn't feel remorseful that she cheated the system to get what she wanted. She probably feels proud of getting an offer she didn't work for. Subsequently, this isn't the type of person you should be hanging around with. Confront and break all contact with her because quite simply, she's a bitch.

She'll get what she deserves one day, just be there so you can relish it (hopefully it's results day).
Reply 24
Original post by Hippokrates
I would be gutted if they'd got an offer and I hadn't but at the end of the day the university is unlikely to make anybody else an offer if they take theirs away. They sound uncommitted so they'll probably drop out when the work starts to come their way. If I was you I'd leave it because you'd loose a friend and you have no proof as you don't know what they said in the MMI.

I don't know, lying the whole way through the interview sounds pretty committed to me.

It seems unlikely she REALLY lied about everything - admissions tutors aren't stupid, they can tell when you're lying. Nobody is that good at lying.
Original post by avig613
Unlike some of the other posters, I believe that all lying is wrong. You are a morally corrupt person if you think that small lies are ok.

'all lying is wrong' - stupid philosophy.
I told the truth at my interviews and never got any offers.

Lesson learned. :colone:
OP, give your friend a break. Getting into any course at uni is competitive, let alone applying for medicine, and I can assure you that everyone 'embellishes' the truth in someway to make themselves sound more appealing, for whatever course.
And in all honesty it isn't your business and maybe you should be focusing on your uni application/exams/whatever else and leave your friend to it
Reply 28
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Honestly, I know where you are coming from. This is what I would do:

This is a dishonest person who doesn't feel remorseful that she cheated the system to get what she wanted. She probably feels proud of getting an offer she didn't work for. Subsequently, this isn't the type of person you should be hanging around with. Confront and break all contact with her because quite simply, she's a bitch.

She'll get what she deserves one day, just be there so you can relish it (hopefully it's results day).

I think it's a bit harsh to call her a bitch. So she exaggerated in an interview, truthfully I'm sure everyone does to some extent. If someone confronted me stating that they wanted to end our friendship because I lied in an interview, I'd have to laugh. It's not like she's completely lied, she must have impressive grades, an amazing personal statement and a really good reference. The fact she lied about a bit of work experience isn't that important, maybe she had reasons to, you don't know. Maybe she was too busy working hard for her A's to do work experience, she's probably going to do it later on anyway. Or maybe she planned the work experience but it was cancelled last minute. Either way, I think I'd be pissed off to hear that one of my friends phoned up the administrators just to get me kicked off the course, as opposed to hearing that my friend told a white lie in an interview. If anything, I'd probably be pleased for her.
Reply 29
mrshinyshoes
Maybe she should of thought about it before lying? The amount of people in my school with no offers for medicine who are having to become health care assistants for a year would certainly have something to say about it don't you think?

Medical applications don't generally solely revolve around whatever bull**** you come out with at the interview stage. Have you not considered that maybe those people you know just didn't have applications as good as the applicants who got offers, or that they applied to schools which weren't the best idea for their strengths?
Reply 30
I'm sure almost everyone studying medicine has lied in their application. The most common one would be an answer to "So why did you do the voluntary work in the hospital/care home/other?".

Any answer other than "to get onto my medicine course" is likely to be a lie.
Reply 31
I feel like she's snatched an offer away from other potential borderline applicants who may or may not have excelled at their interview.

Are you one of these potential borderline applicants by any chance? :teehee:
I have a friend like this who lied about everything in her personal statement. She said she'd had work experience and is part of the city's netball team. Even worse, she's been getting her mum to do her folios and ever write her personal statement. Her gradess aren't even great and she complains about studying for even 1 hour. And she got 5 offers. 5.

It angers me so much because someone as unworthy as her is getting offers without even lifting a finger. My other best friend does sports, has arranged 3 weeks work experience by herself, works, studies 6 hours and has nothing but an A in her academic life. Yet, she didn't get into medicine at all. It makes my blood boil to know such shameless people. Wish I had the guts to report my friend to the authorities but I'm too cowardly to do that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 33
Isn't she your friend though?

I think you're just jealous. But I understand. It's not fair and there may have been others who lose out because of these lies.

But look at it from her perspective. She reallys wants to do medicine and maybe she didnt have the opportunity to do certain things.

It's a difficult thing to judge. But it isn't for you to judge. You won't benefit from this because the satisfaction of being high and mighty does not last when it isn't for a serious situation (eg. Rape or murder). She will be devastated however and you may even lose her as a friend or many others if they figured out it was you. While lying is distrustful, ratting someone out over an offer is also very distrustful, and people will not be keen to share their feelings or opinions and stories with you
I know somebody who lied about everything at their MMI interview, from their extra curricular activities to what they did and experienced and who they met at their work experience placements, and i'm not sure what to do about it.

I've known this for a week (she told me) and it's really bothering me. I truly believe that she doesn't deserve the offer because doctors should be honest and trustworthy, and lying about every minute detail about ones application,and getting away with it, is not, so I feel inclined to notify the admissions team and allow them deal with it (if).
Should I?

P.S: I don't want any replies telling me that this isn't any of my business - it bothers me that she's lied about so much, and subsequently holds an offer. It's almost as if the interviewers met a mask instead of the person and I feel like she's snatched an offer away from other potential borderline applicants who may or may not have excelled at their interview.

It seems stupid but she may have exaggerated her lies to you as she thinks it would make a more interesting story. For example if she had done some work experience at a hospital but mostly did clerical work rather than talk to patients, she many have said in the interview - "I did some work experience in a hospital and concentrated on spending time with the patients and making them feel comfortable, mostly" That slight exaggeration is a very small lie but she may have carried it through, when speaking to you, and developed it into a bigger thing so she had a better story to tell. The problem is that you weren't in the interview so you don't know exactly what was said and so I think that, for this reason alone, you should do nothing.
Reply 35
Welcome to the real world ?
Reply 36
No matter what I thought about lying, I'd never call up an admissions department to 'tell on someone'. It'd an incredibly cringeworthy phone call which would just end up reflecting badly on you.

I imagine a lot of people will lie to some extent on their application, even if it is as minor as slightly exaggerating the importance of something verbally in their interview, or a more extreme version like adding a month onto the duration of their work experience. (or pretending that salary has absolutely nothing to do with their decision to study medicine *cough* :wink:). The interviewers are aware of all this, ours teachers make jokes about how the vast majority of the class are avid readers of new scientist etc, they know there's little truth to it.

Should I?

Let me guess, you figure you were a potential borderline applicant and she stole your place? :wink:
Original post by MrHayden
They probably will get caught out eventually so justice will almost certainly be served.
However I think that, right now, there is still a vague possibility that another more honest person might get the place instead of her, if they find out in time. It may be too late, but medicine offers definitely come out a lot later than most others, and if there's a chance that someone else can get the place instead of her then I think it would be the right thing to make happen.

I agree.
Original post by leemkule
The interviewers are aware of all this, ours teachers make jokes about how the vast majority of the class are avid readers of new scientist etc, they know there's little truth to it.

LOL :colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending