The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

no one likes a snitch....

wait it appears i spoke too soon and someone does...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Davidragon
There's so much wrong with this

If those improbable circumstances were the case then it would be known to OP.
Even if you failed to get work experience, volunteering in caring role is pretty easy to find.

You don't need to go behind their back. The right thing to do would be to tell them what you are going to do and then do it.

Revealing a lie is not worse than lying, I don't see how you can think that.

I don't see how you could take pleasure out of deceit. You might still enjoy the course, but you lied to get in and I don't see how anyone can be proud of that.

If the lies are on the level that OP suggests, I don't see how you can defend it.

Yes it may be improbable but still possible, I was just stating that there might be reasons for her lie and people shouldn't be so quick to judge. So you would tell your friend that you were about to ruin her life and get her kicked off a course that she's probably wanted for years? In this case revealing a lie is worse, it's bitter and childish. Jesus, what is wrong with people, I certainly wouldn't want friends to stab me in the back over moral high ground. So what if she doesn't take pleasure in her course, that's her problem and no one else's, maybe she would feel guilty but once she's started to save lives and earn a massive pay cheque, I'm sure the guilt will disappear sooner than later. If I wanted to do medicine and then got in, I'd be thrilled, it would be a bit different if it was just work experience that got you in, she has other factors of her application to be proud of, too. I'm not defending her lies, yes, she shouldn't have done it, but I'm completely against bitterly resenting your friends and letting jealousy come over you so much that you ruin a persons life.
tbh i havn't met one med applicant or any other applicant for that matter who has been completely honest.

you have absolutely nothing to gain by reporting her...in fact it will only look bad on you...this girl obviously trusts you which is why she told you this in the first place and by you reporting her, you're showing you can not be trusted.
...besides if you did report her and she consequently lost her place...how can you be so sure that it doesn't go to another person who has lied just as much or worse than her? And how do you know that some of the other applicants who received offers didn't lie as well?

you shouldn't let things like this affect you because they happen all the time!

ps...she didn't get in just based on extra curricula...she probs has amazing grades ukcat bmat which are a stronger part of the application than extra curricula. some unis only bother reading personal statements after they've selected those with the best grades
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by janet9
It's clear why snitching would be the worst possible thing to do - imagine if your offer got ripped away from you like that. It's simply a case of not doing that which you wouldn't want someone to do to you. And most medics are not totally-100% truthful; that's something noone really talks about. I'm guessing the girl who got her offer tried to humble herself, maybe (unintentionally) in a really patronising way to the OP that made her really angry. And it's understandable - every medical applicant wishes themself over every single other applicant out there, but that said, we all put on a brave face in the application process and smile at friends who got in, when inside, we're cringing and angry that there's one less golden ticket to the chocolate factory (but that's assuming the same medical school, if that's the case). To sum up, think why the applicant lied in the first place and how the OP let her emotions get the better of her.... This can become philospohical! --> Life is so messy!

I must be honest, you are looking at it from a realistic perspective. However, I'm taking the view that if the lies are genuinely as severe as OP suggests then that should be the main issue, not snitching. Of course, I'm not even advising contacting the uni because I don't think that achieves anything.

If you accept the (doubtful) idea that the girl OP is talking about genuinely told full faced lies throughout her MMI about her experience, snitching becomes no issue. If it is something minor (a bit of exaggeration rather than full out fabrication), yes you are just trying to get someone in trouble for no good reason. You just lie about everything, that isn't something that should be overlooked.

This is all very hypothetical
Reply 84
The type of people who half-arse their applications are also the people who attempt to half-arse medical school.

As a result they fail! :biggrin:
Reply 85
You argument seems poor tbh.

People who are borderline shouldn't be unfairly punished just because they are borderline. You can't justify someone losing their place at Med school by saying "It's your fault for being borderline". That's bull****, especially since this is Medicine we're talking about. It just encourages people to try and play the system. Yes everyone has areas that can be improved etc. etc. But an honest borderline candidate still deserves a place more than someone who out rightly lies about personal development.

I'm not saying they should be punished and it isn't justifying lying. Read my post again. And keep reading it until you get the point.

I'm just saying if you think you're going to end up on the borderline and end up in a position you should do your damned best so that you never end up in that position and you'll never need to worry about being edged out by anyone. If you end up on the borderline and you get edged out, then you take it on the chin and make sure that the next time you get such an opportunity, you tick all the boxes and then some so that there is never any doubts that they have to compare you to someone else. It really isn't that hard to get.

The fact of the matter is, that the OP does not know whether or not this girl was a borderline candidate or not. For all she knows, flew through the applications process with flying colours and claiming that this girl may edge out a more deserving borderline candidate is nothing more than conjecture.

It isn't a fair process and you are right, an honest candidate probably deserves the place more than someone who lies. I never said otherwise.

No applications process is entirely fair on everyone and some people do play the game. But that's a problem with the applications process, like someone has said; don't hate the player, hate the game. This happens in all walks of life. At the end of the day, if you're good enough, you'll get the place. The OP shouldn't care so much about someone else's application and instead focus on her own interests.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Surprises!
I know somebody who lied about everything at their MMI interview, from their extra curricular activities to what they did and experienced and who they met at their work experience placements, and i'm not sure what to do about it.

I've known this for a week (she told me) and it's really bothering me. I truly believe that she doesn't deserve the offer because doctors should be honest and trustworthy, and lying about every minute detail about ones application,and getting away with it, is not, so I feel inclined to notify the admissions team and allow them deal with it (if).
Should I?

P.S: I don't want any replies telling me that this isn't any of my business - it bothers me that she's lied about so much, and subsequently holds an offer. It's almost as if the interviewers met a mask instead of the person and I feel like she's snatched an offer away from other potential borderline applicants who may or may not have excelled at their interview.

Did she really lie though?

It's quite a common defence mechanism to say something like they lied their way through an interview or bluffed this exam but in reality they just want to seem like they barely tried - so if they fail they don't feel as bad.

Lots of people do this - so for all you know she might be lying about lying.
Original post by emclme
Perhaps she slipped up on the interview, saying that she had done a bit of work experience, slightly exaggerating her efforts in the field of medicine. She could have then told her so-called-friend that she lied, people do tend to do this, say that their interview went worse than expected, and that she said things she shouldn't have, even though she didn't. If her work experience was cancelled last minute, it isn't her fault and University's are not going to say "aw well if you planned to do it, that's okay" no, they are going to say that it isn't good enough. Anyway, I'm not here to justify her case, I simply think that it has been completely taken out of proportion, she lied, to make herself stand out. So? it's a tough world, sooner or later you are going have to exaggerate in order to achieve. Yeah, maybe I would be a bit annoyed if I got rejected and she didn't but the thought of going behind her back and phoning the admissions team wouldn't even enter my mind, it is such a sneaky thing to do, and far worse then a lie. She didn't have to tell her friend that she lied but she did, she confided in her, told her the truth "regardless of it being what [she] want to hear or not" and through that trusted her. All it was, was a bit of work experience, she will eventually have to do work experience anyway, she's already showed dedication and determination for the course by just applying. Really, would you want friends who would snitch on you because they morally thought it the right thing to do? no. You'd want friends whom you could trust, regardless of if they thought you were in the wrong. It's a very bitter reaction to an achievement of a friend and if I were her, yes I would be proud that I'd gotten into to medicine, even by lying.

x_x Oh Lord. I can't believe you think snitching is worse than lying. Especially in this situation. If the lie she told decided whether she got into medicine, then she doesn't deserve it. Now assuming that lie is part of her PS and interview, then she doesn't deserve it (unless they decided based on something else entirely, which I doubt). Snitching isn't sneaky if you tell that person you are intending to inform admissions.

It's so unrealistic to say that nobody would be angry if they applied and didn't get in with a proper application whilst she lied blatantly. And the fact that she had the balls and pride to go and tell people makes it even more disgusting. Honestly, what kind of idiot would go and tell people that she cheated her way into Medicine? If someone did snitch, she should blame it on herself for opening her gargantuan mouth.

If she hasn't had work experience, the universities should be saying "that isn't good enough!" That's the bloody whole point. The majority of prospective medics seem to have work experience, what makes her so special that she could just not have any? That's a BAD excuse to lie.

I don't think anyone could make a convincing enough lie in the midst of an interview primarily on instinct. If you asked me a question in a field you knew extremely well, I couldn't fabricate an answer that you wouldn't be able to see through, on the bloody spot. So it's pretty evident that she went into the interview KNOWING she was going to lie.

Exaggeration in an interview, fair enough. It's easy enough to enhance something that really did happen on the spot, and even easier having prepared the exaggeration prior to the interview. It just isn't the same as a complete lie.

If a friend who I was pretty close to did that and I knew about it, I would confront them about it and explain to them why what they did was wrong. If they felt bad, then fair enough, they realise what they did was wrong and I don't expect them to just not firm the offer for medicine. As long as they feel guilty for what they did.

My moral compass seems a lot different to yours, emclme.
Original post by Sheikh {/} Nykaa
tbh i havn't met one med applicant or any other applicant for that matter who has been completely honest.

I never lied on my PS or in interview. Then again I never really needed to - all I needed to say was that I love maths and that was true. And in terms of interview I just had to attempt questions - not something you can 'lie' about - you just do them and fail/succeed.
fair enough there are exceptions to everything...

but for the more competitive uni courses, majority of applicants do not complete hours of extra curricula or subscribe to science magazines because they are passionate...they do it to get in!
But when asked why they do such things, they ask friends or come on student room to find convincing answers when really they ought to be saying 'I did it to get into this course'...that in itself is being dishonest. And I personally haven't met one applicant who is not guilty of this.
Reply 90
I must be honest, you are looking at it from a realistic perspective. However, I'm taking the view that if the lies are genuinely as severe as OP suggests then that should be the main issue, not snitching. Of course, I'm not even advising contacting the uni because I don't think that achieves anything.

If you accept the (doubtful) idea that the girl OP is talking about genuinely told full faced lies throughout her MMI about her experience, snitching becomes no issue. If it is something minor (a bit of exaggeration rather than full out fabrication), yes you are just trying to get someone in trouble for no good reason. You just lie about everything, that isn't something that should be overlooked.

This is all very hypothetical

I see where you're coming from, D. But if I may, I personally think that the OP is exaggerating about the lies the applicant told - she's clearly upset, and that undoubtedly will result in gross exaggeration to others, let's not forget on a public internet forum. Also, interviewers have an intrinsic ability to just.... know. If they suspect any lies, then they proceed to rip the applicant to shreds. They have a really weird way of seeing through applicants in ways that are hard to describe. I think that whatever happened, just did, and I'm not going to think about it or pursue it any further. The OP made a new account just to get her point across, and I'm kinda sniffing a troll. Whether or not it's hypothetical, it reflects the reality of life when you think about it, there are those who win, desevedly, and those who don't.
It's sad that competition drives people to these lengths, especially given the profession we wish to pursue. It's odd how people are attacking someone for wanting to do what on the surface appears to be the right thing. Under what twisted moral code code is snitching worse than lying your way into medical school? Are you going to do the same thing when you qualify and you see misconduct in you peers or even your seniors?

Pretty much agree with this. I don't think it's right to lie completely about the whole of your application/work experience/hobbies and stuff. You're playing a dangerous game when you fabricate a persona to big yourself up, and hopefully that will backfire some day.
Reply 92
Original post by HeavyTeddy
x_x Oh Lord. I can't believe you think snitching is worse than lying. Especially in this situation. If the lie she told decided whether she got into medicine, then she doesn't deserve it. Now assuming that lie is part of her PS and interview, then she doesn't deserve it (unless they decided based on something else entirely, which I doubt). Snitching isn't sneaky if you tell that person you are intending to inform admissions.

It's so unrealistic to say that nobody would be angry if they applied and didn't get in with a proper application whilst she lied blatantly. And the fact that she had the balls and pride to go and tell people makes it even more disgusting. Honestly, what kind of idiot would go and tell people that she cheated her way into Medicine? If someone did snitch, she should blame it on herself for opening her gargantuan mouth.

If she hasn't had work experience, the universities should be saying "that isn't good enough!" That's the bloody whole point. The majority of prospective medics seem to have work experience, what makes her so special that she could just not have any? That's a BAD excuse to lie.

I don't think anyone could make a convincing enough lie in the midst of an interview primarily on instinct. If you asked me a question in a field you knew extremely well, I couldn't fabricate an answer that you wouldn't be able to see through, on the bloody spot. So it's pretty evident that she went into the interview KNOWING she was going to lie.

Exaggeration in an interview, fair enough. It's easy enough to enhance something that really did happen on the spot, and even easier having prepared the exaggeration prior to the interview. It just isn't the same as a complete lie.

If a friend who I was pretty close to did that and I knew about it, I would confront them about it and explain to them why what they did was wrong. If they felt bad, then fair enough, they realise what they did was wrong and I don't expect them to just not firm the offer for medicine. As long as they feel guilty for what they did.

My moral compass seems a lot different to yours, emclme.

I wouldn't be as patronising as to inform my friends that they have made a bad choice, who am I to put them in their place? If my friend had lied, I'd probably laugh about it and congratulate them on their new offer, the last thing I'd do is phone up admissions. This post is about should the OP phone up admissions to snitch on her friend, not whether I agree her lies were justified. I've already stated that I don't agree with her lying, although I wouldn't condemn her for it, it was her choice, interviews are difficult and nerve-wrecking. Every candidate lies in some way or other, especially for medicine, medicine wouldn't be half as popular if the pay wasn't so good. If everyone went in completely honest and said, "I'm in it for the money", they would get rejected. She isn't an idiot for trusting her friend not to say anything, let alone make a post about it, it's her friend who sounds like a super bitch to me. How do you know that she invented a lie before going into the interview? she might have just slightly exaggerated and then got tangled in a few white lies. Why would you want to make your friend feel guilty? who's to say you're better then them, maybe she does feel guilty and by venting to her friend it might be her downfall. It's sounds extremely arrogant to think that you're better then them, if my friend confronted me about my behaviour, that was nothing to do with them, I'd laugh and walk away. God, your friends must hate you if you're always criticising their mistakes, receiving pleasure from their guilt. Yet again, who are you? do you really think I care that your moral compass is different to mine? If you believe that the op is entitled to phone up admissions to snitch on her friend, then sure, say that you have a better moral compass, but I'd never screw my friend over like that.
I know somebody who lied about everything at their MMI interview, from their extra curricular activities to what they did and experienced and who they met at their work experience placements, and i'm not sure what to do about it.

I've known this for a week (she told me) and it's really bothering me. I truly believe that she doesn't deserve the offer because doctors should be honest and trustworthy, and lying about every minute detail about ones application,and getting away with it, is not, so I feel inclined to notify the admissions team and allow them deal with it (if).
Should I?

P.S: I don't want any replies telling me that this isn't any of my business - it bothers me that she's lied about so much, and subsequently holds an offer. It's almost as if the interviewers met a mask instead of the person and I feel like she's snatched an offer away from other potential borderline applicants who may or may not have excelled at their interview.

LOL i think with the amount of dislikes compared to likes you just about have your answer :tongue:
Is this person a friend?
Reply 95
If she told you these things then I assume she is a friend of yours. You don't lie in an interview and start spilling the beans to the nearest stranger now do you? If that is the case then some friend you are. She clearly trusted you enough to tell you these things.
Reply 96

Should I?

Firstly I'd like to say how I think it's terrible that most of the replies you've received have been referring to you as a "snitch" (Never realised that word was used by anyone other than primary school kids btw), stating that what you're feeling is wrong and even accusing you of being the person in question.
I think you're justified in feeling shocked/angry that this person has apparantly lied so extensively and managed to get an offer. However, as some people have said, there's not much that can be done now as you have no proof of what was said.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 97
Everyone does it.

Join the queue.
Get over it OP. These things happen, many people lie at interviews and the interviewers know candidates stretch the truth somewhat. Seriously, just let it go.
Reply 99
On the one hand, it's not really your business. The recruitment team evidently need to sort themselves out.

On the other hand, I know what you mean. I hate when people tell blatant lies (e.g. societies they weren't in, work experience they didn't achieve), not so much because it benefits them, but because it degrades those of us who actually do bother to get relevant experience etc.

Ultimately, in your position I'd leave it be. It's not your place to get involved.

Latest