Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Protection: had sex for the first time

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014

I had sex for the first time, but I'm not on the pill or taken the morning after pill yet. We did use a condom the whole time, but I'm still worried about the possibility of pregnancy. Am I worrying too much? I just need some advice really, my period is due within the next week. thanks.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you used a condom and it was on correctly etc. then the possibilities of you being pregnant are extremely, extremely slim.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did the condom break? If so, you have a cause for worry. If it didn't break, then your worry is slightly more unjustified, as the chances of you being pregnant are incredibly slim. I think it's something like a 94-96% chance that you are not pregnant if it didn't break.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If the condom didn't break or rip then you're fine. They only say that they're ~99% effective cos that 1% or so, is for when they rip or come off, not because cum magically gets through the rubber.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Did the condom break? If so, you have a cause for worry. If it didn't break, then your worry is slightly more unjustified, as the chances of you being pregnant are incredibly slim. I think it's something like a 94-96% chance that you are not pregnant if it didn't break.
    It's more than that. If it didn't break and was put on properly then it's more or less 100%.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walterwhite123)
    It's more than that. If it didn't break and was put on properly then it's more or less 100%.
    For legal purposes, Condoms are only 99.9% effective.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    For legal purposes, Condoms are only 99.9% effective.
    Which is why I said more or less 100%.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walterwhite123)
    Which is why I said more or less 100%.
    Yes but you are putting it through as if it is 100% when it is not.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My little theory is that they are at least 99.99999999999999999999999999999 99999999% effective (can never quite say never) but maybe the quoted figure is lower because people lie.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Yes but you are putting it through as if it is 100% when it is not.
    No i'm not. It's only fear of being sued that makes it 99.9%.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I've been using only condoms for the last couple of months with no failure.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    did you have fun?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awoodrow2)
    I think that's if you use condoms regularly for a year (ie. not from just one encounter, but from many), and the percentage is higher than that.
    True, but I would never just rely on condoms. They're just not reliable. If they don't break, they're almost flawless, but if they do break, then the chances of pregnancy as pretty high.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    True, but I would never just rely on condoms. They're just not reliable. If they don't break, they're almost flawless, but if they do break, then the chances of pregnancy as pretty high.
    That's what the morning after pill is for surely?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think everyone worries about that kind of thing the first time round but you have nothing to worry about if you used a condom

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.