Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ebooks or paper books?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paper for me. But only because I'm too lazy to check out eBooks, not because I've any dislike for them.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i swore id never have a kindle that they were stupid it would never be as good, i like the smell of books i love books (i may or may not have a current "collection" of over 400 books...)
    BUT........
    i was bought a kindle for christmas and the pages are like an actual book! and sooo little i can take it everywhere and the battery lasts FOREVER :| left on for a week in my bag by accident and it still had loads left
    i loves it
    and my mum promised me if i really like a book i read on there she will buy me the paper copy still
    x
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was very sceptical until I got a Kindle for Christmas and its just like a real book to read (easy to read like a book as it has no back light) except smaller and the books on it are cheaper, I recently read the Hunger Games trilogy after seeing the film (They are exception reads btw if it has missed you!), bought them all on my Kindle for the price one paper copy would have of one of the three books. Also books out of copyright, e.g. Dickens, etc. are free.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paper books.

Turning pages > scrolling down a screen.

(Also the smell of a brand new textbook )
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like paper books, although if it's cheaper as an ebook, I'll get it on my kindle instead.
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Paper books.

Turning pages > scrolling down a screen.

(Also the smell of a brand new textbook )
    No scrolling involved with the Kindle.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    if you are caught short at a picnic or similar there is no way that a Kindle could help you
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    I used to be quite anti-kindle and thought it ruined the whole reading experience but I now think that actually, it's much more convenient because frankly, I have no more room for books round mine - they're already on the bookshelf, on my desk, under the bed and on the floor. So before I go to uni, I'm definitely getting a kindle so I don't have to take a ton of paper books there!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    No scrolling involved with the Kindle.
    What is this sorcery?

But seriously, how does it work? (For those unfamiliar with kindles )

But also prefer books as I like giving books as presents, one of my friends is really into his motorcycles and he was also a philosophy fanatic like myself so got him 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'. They make great gifts!
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I prefer reading 'proper' books, but my Kindle saves up so much room and is generally very useful. So I'm glad I have a Kindle, but I prefer the feeling of reading a 'proper' book.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Paper, there is nothing like holding a book in your hand and turning the pages...

....and then once you have finished you can pace the much loved worn copy in a bookshelf amongst other such items.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I love paper books, the feel of them and the smell of a brand new one (yes I'm weird). However since I bought myself a Kindle it has renewed my love for reading. Physical books are better but the Kindle is a billion times more practical. I love being able to carry a 500+ page novel in my back pocket.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    depends really theyre both quite useful, i find it easier to read an actual paper book but then again if im on a long journey or on a flight i really cant be bothered carting around a load of books so where ebooks become handy

plus the ebooks i use are free
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    What is this sorcery?

But seriously, how does it work? (For those unfamiliar with kindles )

But also prefer books as I like giving books as presents, one of my friends is really into his motorcycles and he was also a philosophy fanatic like myself so got him 'Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance'. They make great gifts!
    I've got the Kindle Keyboard, no 3G. There are buttons on both side of the Kindle, one on top of each other, for changing pages. One button for next page, one button for previous page. But they're both on both sides of the Kindle, so you can hold it with whichever hand you want and easily switch back and forth between pages. So really, it is like flicking to the next page. There is a pause, too, the way it changes page. So the words don't change immediately so it doesn't look like a weird insta-change.

The screen isn't backlit like a computer, and the way the e-ink works you don't get any glare on the screen; so it really does look like the page of a new book, whichever angle you hold it from! Unfortunately, this means you need a light to read it in the dark. Can get a clip on light for dark train journeys or whatever.

So the Kindle 4 that's out right now has a 5 way controller instead of a keyboard, I'm not sure how that works, and how good it is for typing stuff in, so I'll leave one of the other users to answer that.

The creme de la creme of the Kindle though is the built in Oxford English Dictionary. Just move your cursor down to a word you don't understand and it brings up the definition! I didn't know it came with this feature, so I was so excited when I found out.

You can also highlight and save specific quotes you want to remember. I can't even begin to list all the features. But I love my Kindle. Blasted through 1984 on it in 2 days.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i prefer real books because i like knowing i'm progressing through them, even though there's a search function on ebooks, i find it easier to manually flick through and familiarise myself with it when it's all physically there, it's weird even though i like the idea of a kindle and carrying a lot of material around in digital storage..i may soon convert to an e-reader when i find use for one but for now, good old paperbacks will suffice
    • 72 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winning11)
    i prefer real books because i like knowing i'm progressing through them, even though there's a search function on ebooks, i find it easier to manually flick through and familiarise myself with it when it's all physically there, it's weird even though i like the idea of a kindle and carrying a lot of material around in digital storage..i may soon convert to an e-reader when i find use for one but for now, good old paperbacks will suffice
    Kindle has a percentage bar at the bottom that tells you how far through the book you are. Gives you an exact percentage of where you are, and it's quite discrete so isn't distracting.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but I don't know what a "paper book" is supposed to be. All books are made of paper. Those things people use to call "ebooks" are no books at all but simple electronic files.

So I prefer books.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I like both. I find paper books more pleasurable to read - especially anything with text boxes, diagrams etc. and I can't for example see myself swapping from paper copies of Runner's World to an e-reader any time soon. There is also something quite nice about having a real bookshelf ...

I do love how convenient eBooks are though. Yesterday I decided I wanted to read "The Hunger Games" so I opened the Kindle App on my phone and literally seconds later I was reading it ! I find that really cool. It also allows me to carry around vast books like "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" without the weight or bulk of a paper copy. That means that there is a good chance I might actually read some classics. Certainly for anything that is continuous text the low price and convenience of ebooks wins out over the tactility of paper books.

As it turns out I finished "The Hunger Games" on the same day I bought it. Having viewed it on the small bright screen of my phone for all that time my eyes actually hurt by the end. I think I may need to invest in a proper ereader !
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The moral to this story is: Buy a Kindle.

True fact.
    • 10 followers

(Original post by Phalanges)
    For a narrative book that I'm just going to read cover to cover then I prefer ebooks. They're easier to carry and easier to read. For a reference book with pages I want to flick around in or something that I want to see a lot of information in one go (like a cooking book or a textbook) then I still prefer paper - I find in-book navigation a bit of a pain on ereaders and the screen doesn't show that much info at once compared to the page of a bigger book.
    True. On the other hand, searching for particular words on ebooks is easier, as is carrying them around. Ideally textbooks would be sold as a combined paper and ebook product, giving one the best of both worlds.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 24, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered books, literature & poetry threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.