Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

The use of the terms 'Oreo' and 'Coconut' and the like show how backward many are?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If a 'black' person (i.e. one of pure African descent) is called an 'Oreo' for example, it apparently means he/she is 'black on the outside; white on the inside'.

In most, if not all cases; this would be insulting and effectively degrading to the person and people of black skin colour.

For example, I am in my last year in a private school and I can attest to having been called this several times, both by black people and white people; primarily as a result of being academically-minded and also taking part in activities that are apparently not deemed fitting for one who is black (e.g. Horse-riding, swimming, debating, maths competition etc).

Is this not tacit prejudice (particularly from those who are not black - for example, a white classmate used to make fun of me a couple of years ago, saying I was 'white on the inside')?

Does it not effectively say that black people are anti-intellectual, unintelligent, dumb etc etc?

Do you agree with the term 'Oreo' and 'Coconut' etc? If so, explain yourself?

Or do you agree with me that it's actually derogatory and counter-productive to Humanity?

Does the use of this term sometimes enrage you? (It enrages me but also motivates me to continue further in those efforts that I am apparently not meant to undertake because I have a darker skin tone than some of my fellow Human Beings.)

There is only one Race on Planet Earth - the Human Race.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGreatReformer)
    If a 'black' person (i.e. one of pure African descent) is called an 'Oreo' for example, it apparently means he/she is 'black on the outside; white on the inside'.

In most, if not all cases; this would be insulting and effectively degrading to the person and people of black skin colour.

For example, I am in my last year in a private school and I can attest to having been called this several times, both by black people and white people; primarily as a result of being academically-minded and also taking part in activities that are apparently not deemed fitting for one who is black (e.g. Horse-riding, swimming, debating, maths competition etc).

Is this not tacit prejudice (particularly from those who are not black - for example, a white classmate used to make fun of me a couple of years ago, saying I was 'white on the inside')?

Does it not effectively say that black people are anti-intellectual, unintelligent, dumb etc etc?

Or do you agree with me that it's actually derogatory and counter-productive to Humanity?

Does the use of this term sometimes enrage you? (It enrages me but also motivates me to continue further in those efforts that I am apparently not meant to undertake because I have a darker skin tone than some of my fellow Human Beings.)

It's just banter brah, chill out. Not being able to take a joke is the first true sign of backwardness.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Backwardness or Blackwardness in denial?

Get over kiddo, lifes to short to dwell on taunts ( although there could be slivers of truth in it if people are saying it).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)

Get over kiddo, lifes to short to dwell on taunts ( although there could be slivers of truth in it if people are saying it).
    Such as what exactly?
    • 25 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calm.jpg 
Views:	931 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	140710
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

This is where you are wrong. Where is your evidence that these people are primarily calling you an Oreo because you are intelligent? For most people, they get called Oreo because of the other things they do, in your case, the Horse-riding, swimming, debating, maths competition.

To be honest if my group of friends had a black guy who was say a champion swimmer, we would probably joke and say he is an oreo, because lets face it, how many black swimmers do you see. It's got nothing to do with how intelligent he is, it's just a play on how he does not do something a black person normally does. You might say this is racist, but are you telling me you've never joked with your friends about typical stereotypes like black people like fried chicken, chinese people have small eyes, jamaicans like weed, americans are fat, white english people are chavs, russians love vodka, and things like that.

Okay so not many people call other people Oreos unless they are good friends, because calling friends Oreos and Coconuts are meant to be a joke, but thats more to do with the people calling you an Oreo being a**holes, not the expression being derogatory.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard either expression used in anything other than a light-hearted context, and I can't really imagine them being applied in any way other than this.

White guys who act like (poor american gangster stereotype) black guys in particular are hilarious. Haven't you ever seen the video for 'Pretty Fly for a White Guy'?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    It's just banter brah, chill out. Not being able to take a joke is the first true sign of backwardness.
    Banter that exposes ingrained racial associations. I can take jokes, but many times, many people don't mean it as jokes. They truly expect somebody with black skin colour to behave in one way and somebody with white skin colour to behave in another. Chill out? Two people have said similar things - one said, 'black people are supposed to be chilled out' blah blah. Careful, people like me take great offence. :lol:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    **** those ****ers. Who gives a **** what they think, live your life the way you see fit. They're probably just bitter at something, themselves perhaps. :dontknow:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    tbh if you ride horse and not white you probably are a coconut or oreo
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    i have never heard anyone call someone an oreo before
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    I call myself a coconut. Apparently I'm so backwards, I'm forward! :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yeah that doesn't make sense but I just can't be arsed...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    i thought this was about food...
    i thought i was really backward.... seems im just too forward instead... ! lol

*toddles off*
    x
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ebam_uk)

Some people say the Earth is flat. Case closed.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    I've never heard either expression used in anything other than a light-hearted context, and I can't really imagine them being applied in any way other than this.

White guys who act like (poor american gangster stereotype) black guys in particular are hilarious. Haven't you ever seen the video for 'Pretty Fly for a White Guy'?
    Is there a certain way 'black guys' act. You should probably make yourself more clear so as to avoid offending jumpy people like myself. Maybe a 'white american gangsters who act like black american gangsters' would have been more suitable. It already narrows down to a minority within a minority and so does not tarnish the whole minority with the same brush.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its just a bit of banter calm down ... its not as if they were making diggs about slavery or the like to you now was it? sense of perspective.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugk4life)
    tbh if you ride horse and not white you probably are a coconut or oreo
    Can I not do anything I want?

And what does skin colour have to do with horse-riding or any sporting activity, in fact?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

I went to a highschool where the majority of students were black. I did hear this word thrown around a little. However it was never because someone wanted to be educated or about how they spoke. Usually it was used when someone refused to embrace the culture of their parents. E.g. Your parents come from Congo, speak a language that isn't English and you refuse to learn it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    its just a bit of banter calm down ... its not as if they were making diggs about slavery or the like to you now was it? sense of perspective.
    A former slave-turned politician (in the 19th century) wrote of how he was taunted by his fellow slaves when he was secretly reading books away from the slave master. He recollected how a couple of slaves said "He was trying to be like the White Man".
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there a certain way 'black guys' act. You should probably make yourself more clear so as to avoid offending jumpy people like myself. Maybe a 'white american gangsters who act like black american gangsters' would have been more suitable. It already narrows down to a minority within a minority and so does not tarnish the whole minority with the same brush.
    Not sure if serious and can't be arsed to check your post history

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Exclusive Nick Clegg interview

Your questions answered by the deputy prime minister

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.