The Student Room Group

How many a-levels for Art Foundation

How many a-levels are required for a art foundation course?

Thanks!
it varies from course to course, but most just require one pass, or sometimes for you to pass all the subjects you take. occasionally they'll ask for a certain amount of UCAS points, but nothing too high. that's for foundation diplomas anyway, not sure about foundation degrees?
Reply 2
I dont have any A-levels, though im an older student with lots of experience - I know other younger students on my foundation dont have a-levels either, I think it probably varies and your portfolio/experience is particularly important. Thats for a Level 3/4 foundation (Im doing a level 3 foundation but being marked at level 4).
Most only require two but it's not about the A-Level grades its about the portfolio and experience.

(I've needed to look into this as I want to apply for a foundation after I complete A-Levels)
Original post by HarryPotterFanx
Most only require two but it's not about the A-Level grades its about the portfolio and experience.

(I've needed to look into this as I want to apply for a foundation after I complete A-Levels)

i've only seen like one course that requires two, and a handful that require one A level's worth/possibly two lower grade A levels in UCAS points, but i thought the vast majority only require one? i have one A level and got unconditionals back from all the foundation courses i applied to anyway. o:

you're right though, it's all about the portfolio! not so much 'experience', it can be really hard to get work if there are no art related companies in your hometown, and they don't expect you to do paid freelance work, though obviously if you CAN it'll make your personal statement easy to write. though it does help to have your own artwork you've made outside of A levels in your portfolio! :smile:
Reply 5
Ah thank you for the responses! I was talking about the diploma, eg http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/art-design-foundation-diploma-2013/entry-requirements.html

Because I'm doing 4 AS levels right now and I'm thinking of dropping one for next year but also another one too. Meaning dropping 2, if that is possible. I'm thinking of taking on AS History of Art next year - so would 2 alevels and one AS in A2(next year) year be okay? I think if it is about portfolio work and experience, I can work on that.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Ah thank you for the responses! I was talking about the diploma, eg http://www.kingston.ac.uk/undergraduate-course/art-design-foundation-diploma-2013/entry-requirements.html

Because I'm doing 4 AS levels right now and I'm thinking of dropping one for next year but also another one too. Meaning dropping 2, if that is possible. I'm thinking of taking on AS History of Art next year - so would 2 alevels and one AS in A2(next year) year be okay? I think if it is about portfolio work and experience, I can work on that.

Original post by wingspari

it says right there on the website - you only need one A level, plus five GCSEs. :P that's the norm for foundation diplomas! it's honestly all about your portfolio, most don't even mind if you don't have an art related A level. i got in with one A level in religious studies heheh :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by beccafairy
it says right there on the website - you only need one A level, plus five GCSEs. :P that's the norm for foundation diplomas! it's honestly all about your portfolio, most don't even mind if you don't have an art related A level. i got in with one A level in religious studies heheh :colondollar:

Yeah but I was confused if that was the minimum making other applicants doing more... Ah cool, I'm relieved. That's interesting -it is quite different than the other UCAS applicants (other subjects etc). Luckily I'm doing art a level. Really? Thanks, really appreciate your help :smile:
Reply 9
Generally you need two A levels or equivalent (4 AS), or the relevant experience or interest in the subject demonstrated in your application. However it is your portfolio which you present at interview that will take significant weight on their decision.

Having said that I assume you are taking the foundation course to apply for art & design degree level courses afterwards? Think about what you will do following the foundation course, having a good set of A levels with good grades could be the make or break in deciding between you and another candidate on getting onto a degree course. I followed my three A levels with a foundation course for access into a good art university. I dropped out in the first year of my degree and since have used my A levels to apply for job schemes so they have been hugely useful, so i'm really glad I worked hard at sixth form!

Aim the highest and best you can. not just to reach an entry requirement. Good luck!
Yeah but I was confused if that was the minimum making other applicants doing more... Ah cool, I'm relieved. That's interesting -it is quite different than the other UCAS applicants (other subjects etc). Luckily I'm doing art a level. Really? Thanks, really appreciate your help :smile:

it just means you need one A level, it doesn't matter if you have more - the decision to let you on the course would be based on your artwork. :smile: haha i know, it's a lot less stressful in terms of everyone else needing good A level results to get onto the course they want! whereas most art foundations require on E grade, some a C, so it takes a lot of weight off of your shoulders.

yeah, i'm a year behind at school but did one A level 'on time', so i could have applied last year but i wanted to finish my art A level before i went to do my foundation as i felt i'd be at a disadvantage, i kinda wish i applied last year now though as i have to pay fees, and i don't think A2 art really helped me develop my skills.
Reply 11
Original post by moeenkhan
Generally you need two A levels or equivalent (4 AS), or the relevant experience or interest in the subject demonstrated in your application. However it is your portfolio which you present at interview that will take significant weight on their decision.

Having said that I assume you are taking the foundation course to apply for art & design degree level courses afterwards? Think about what you will do following the foundation course, having a good set of A levels with good grades could be the make or break in deciding between you and another candidate on getting onto a degree course. I followed my three A levels with a foundation course for access into a good art university. I dropped out in the first year of my degree and since have used my A levels to apply for job schemes so they have been hugely useful, so i'm really glad I worked hard at sixth form!

Aim the highest and best you can. not just to reach an entry requirement. Good luck!

Yeah, thanks, I'll do my best :smile:
Reply 12
it just means you need one A level, it doesn't matter if you have more - the decision to let you on the course would be based on your artwork. :smile: haha i know, it's a lot less stressful in terms of everyone else needing good A level results to get onto the course they want! whereas most art foundations require on E grade, some a C, so it takes a lot of weight off of your shoulders.

yeah, i'm a year behind at school but did one A level 'on time', so i could have applied last year but i wanted to finish my art A level before i went to do my foundation as i felt i'd be at a disadvantage, i kinda wish i applied last year now though as i have to pay fees, and i don't think A2 art really helped me develop my skills.

*sigh of relief* Now, yeah it's a whole lot better. But I still want to get good grades :colondollar: A or at least B (very least C) I hope. I'm thinking of doing Art, Psychology and maybe AS art history if it'll help my chances. The AS subjects I'm doing now are Art, English Lit-lang, Psychology and Graphics. Most of the year, I was really pessimistic about a art education (jobs etc) but now I just want to give it my all, since I really want to pursue art.

Okay, yeah, hopefully I'll improve next year. Maybe atleast anatomy skills are improved and doing studies too. I'm thought maybe the more time and practice would help that way.
*sigh of relief* Now, yeah it's a whole lot better. But I still want to get good grades :colondollar: A or at least B (very least C) I hope. I'm thinking of doing Art, Psychology and maybe AS art history if it'll help my chances. The AS subjects I'm doing now are Art, English Lit-lang, Psychology and Graphics. Most of the year, I was really pessimistic about a art education (jobs etc) but now I just want to give it my all, since I really want to pursue art.

Okay, yeah, hopefully I'll improve next year. Maybe atleast anatomy skills are improved and doing studies too. I'm thought maybe the more time and practice would help that way.

glad that's cleared things up for you! art history will be good to mention in your personal statement, i mentioned my RS studies as half of the course is religious art. but when it gets down to it, what they actually want you to have knowledge of is contemporary art - at interviews they may ask you what the last exhibition you saw was, who your favourite contemporary artists are etc. that's something to think about closer to the time though i guess!

yeah definitely, i think most people improve during A2 art, i'm very into my personal work though and i haven't put too much in to my A level work this year, but people that give it their all are definitely rewarded. if you reckon your anatomy skills are a little wonky you should definitely try finding a life drawing class, i've been attending them for the past two years and they've really helped me, and it's good to include in your portfolio as they like to see drawing from observation (rather than photographs). :smile:
Reply 14
glad that's cleared things up for you! art history will be good to mention in your personal statement, i mentioned my RS studies as half of the course is religious art. but when it gets down to it, what they actually want you to have knowledge of is contemporary art - at interviews they may ask you what the last exhibition you saw was, who your favourite contemporary artists are etc. that's something to think about closer to the time though i guess!

yeah definitely, i think most people improve during A2 art, i'm very into my personal work though and i haven't put too much in to my A level work this year, but people that give it their all are definitely rewarded. if you reckon your anatomy skills are a little wonky you should definitely try finding a life drawing class, i've been attending them for the past two years and they've really helped me, and it's good to include in your portfolio as they like to see drawing from observation (rather than photographs). :smile:

Oh okay, I have some favourite artists right now but their mainly illustrators and other artists that I've researched for AS level. Yeah, I need to go to more exhibitions so I'll hopefully go more next year. I go to life drawing classes - I feel I have many bad days ;P And to improve to a better level than now. I usually twist the project to what I like - like a theme that I thought of and one that would be able to go in personal work. ^^ Is your icon/avator your work? It looks awesome Thanks for the tips!
Oh okay, I have some favourite artists right now but their mainly illustrators and other artists that I've researched for AS level. Yeah, I need to go to more exhibitions so I'll hopefully go more next year. I go to life drawing classes - I feel I have many bad days ;P And to improve to a better level than now. I usually twist the project to what I like - like a theme that I thought of and one that would be able to go in personal work. ^^ Is your icon/avator your work? It looks awesome Thanks for the tips!

sounds like you'll be sorted! thankyou, yes it is. :smile:
Reply 16
sounds like you'll be sorted! thankyou, yes it is. :smile:

Yay! :smile: Woah, I can see why you're sticking to personal work :biggrin: Would love to see your gallery - I'm thinking of posting work on devaintart in later summer/next year, so if you have one that'd be cool. :smile:
Yay! :smile: Woah, I can see why you're sticking to personal work :biggrin: Would love to see your gallery - I'm thinking of posting work on devaintart in later summer/next year, so if you have one that'd be cool. :smile:

i have one, i hardly use it anymore though! it's a bother to scan everything in, i should probably get round to it though. it's http://khalivea.deviantart.com/ :smile: yeah, go for it!
Reply 18
i have one, i hardly use it anymore though! it's a bother to scan everything in, i should probably get round to it though. it's http://khalivea.deviantart.com/ :smile: yeah, go for it!

It's cool, my favourites would be 'Bella' and 'I've been erased'. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest