The Student Room Group

Whats involved in mental health nursing degree

Hello
New here and looking for info advice - hope you can help please.

My daughter is just about to complete he A levels and was planning on doing a degree in psychology, which she enjoys!

recently she has spoken of her desire to maybe go ito mental health nursing instead - which I think would be a brilliant career for her!

My question is - how much 'nursing' is involved in getting your degree in mental health nursing. My daughter is very much a 'peoples person' and really enjoys the psychology she's doing. But not sure if she would handle it well if there was a lot of actual 'nursing' involved...ie blood/gore etc!

really would appreciate it if anyone can throw any light on this for me as I know she's very interested in helping people in this area.

Thankyou in advance
I'm just finishing my mh degree. It completely depends where your placements are etc. there is an ageing population do a lot of mh care is old age psychiatry either functional or organic where there would be a lot of nursing care. As well even on an adult ward if there was an emergency you would be expected to have the skills to deal with it especially if you are the only registered nurse on duty. In a prison for example you would be expected to deal with both physical and mental health. As I've said it completely depends, some folk can go through their whole training and not do it, but you can't rule it out 4 of my placements have involved complete nursing care but I enjoy it so it doesn't bother me

Quick Reply

Latest