Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

B422 - Transracial Adoptions Bill 2012

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    B422 - Transracial Adoptions Act 2012, TSR Government

Transracial Adoptions Act 2012

An Act to remove restrictions on people wishing to adopt a child of a different ethnicity to themselves.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part I
    1 Removal of Restrictions
    (1) All restrictions relating to the adoption of children by a person/people of another ethnicity are defunct.
    (a) Local authorities' children's services are prevented from denying adoption on the basis of differences in ethnicity between the adoptee and the adopter(s).
    (b) The ethnicity of the child's biological parents cannot be a deciding factor when assessing prospective adopters.

2 For the purposes of this Act
    (1) "Ethnicity" as defined by the British Census 2011.

Part II
    3 Short Title
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Mixed Race Adoptions Act 2012.

4 Commencement
    (1) This Act comes into law two months following Royal Assent.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    It would be an aye from me (were I an MP.)
    My only question on this would be is there a social reason for restricting adoption on race? Has there ever been a logical calculated social reason for whatever reason? Or was it just a silly one?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    My only question on this would be is there a social reason for restricting adoption on race? Has there ever been a logical calculated social reason for whatever reason? Or was it just a silly one?
    I'm assuming it's something from way back that simply hasn't been repealed yet.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    I'm assuming it's something from way back that simply hasn't been repealed yet.
    I see. So it wasn't because someone decided socially speaking a black kid would have a harder time if raised by whites in a certain part of society, it was just discrimination? That's what I meant.
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is no restrictions relating to the adoption of a child by a person/people of another ethnicity? The last legislation to be passed on the issue was The Adoption and Children Act 2002 (enforced in 2005), which stated wherever possible' a child should be put with a family which 'reflects their ethnic origin, cultural background, religion and language'. It doesn't say transracial can't occur, it just says all things being equal, pick that which reflects the child best. It seems to me that 1.(1) is defunct, because no such restrictions officially exist. Rather, it is individual local authorities twisting the rules as laid out in The Adoption and Children Act 2002. Additionally, 1.(1)(b) is probably (very slightly) harmful, because in a case where there are two completely equal opportunities except one matches the ethnicity of the child and the other does not, local authorities are now not allowed to pick the former when it is noted that that is beneficial for the child (see Dr. Perlita Harris' work on the subject).

The key part of this bill should be 1.(1)(a), and 1.(1)(a) needs a slight change. It should be something like "(a) Local authorities' children's services are prevented from denying adoption on the basis of differences in ethnicity between the adoptee and the adopter(s) if the alternative would mean the child would not be adopted."

I'm going to Aye the bill, because I think it's important to remind local authorities to act within the spirit of the law as well as the letter, but I do think refinements could be mad. Basically, killing 1.(1) and 1.(1)(b), and making my suggested changes to 1.(1)(a) the new 1.(1).
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    I see. So it wasn't because someone decided socially speaking a black kid would have a harder time if raised by whites in a certain part of society, it was just discrimination? That's what I meant.
    That's what I also meant. I think we've sort of said the same thing, but in different ways.
    • 34 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    That's what I also meant. I think we've sort of said the same thing, but in different ways.
    Ahso
    :cool:
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    There is evidence that children do better when placed with parents from their own ethnic background, however there's not much suggesting that doing the contrary causes any kind of negative effects (like disunity, alienation etc.). The problem is that there are more children from ethnic minorities in child protective care, yet there are more prospective adopters that are white British. As things currently stand everything must be done to get children out of care homes and into stable families - not doing so delivers far greater long-term harm for the child, or at least is far more likely to.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    There currently is no official restriction. What happened was a law intended to give local authorities preferential capabilities (that is, if child X is of Black Caribbean descent and Potential Adoptee A is of Black Caribbean descent and Potential Adoptee B is of White British descent, Potential Adoptee A will be chosen) has been misconstrued into giving local authorities the ability to reject Potential Adoptee B outright.

Prefential treatment is important, because transracial adoptions do suffer from recognisable and well-documented problems (see Dr. Perdita Harris's work). However, some transracial adoption, I think we can all agree, is better than no adoption at all, which is why I absolutely agree with the sentiment that the law needs to be more clearly defined in that local authorities have preferential treatment only, rather than ability to reject outright. That's why I've suggested changes to 1.(1)(a) that'd allow this.
    • 84 followers

ReputationRep:
    It needs to be re-written but the intentions are good.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye... obviously.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Bill shall be reworded for a second reading, the current formulation is far from perfect. Still, glad to know the sentiment is ostensibly accepted by the House.
    • 36 followers

Aye, and wouldn't mind if it was spruced up either.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    An aye from me.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    B422 - Transracial Adoptions Act 2012, TSR Government

Transracial Adoptions Act 2012

An Act to remove restrictions on people wishing to adopt a child of a different ethnicity to themselves.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Part I: ???
    1 Removal of Restrictions
    (1) For the purposes of this Act:
    (i) "Ethnicity" is as defined by the British Census 2011.
    (2) All restrictions relating to the adoption of children by a person/people of another ethnicity are defunct.
    (3) Local authorities' children's services are prevented from denying adoption on the basis of differences in ethnicity between the adoptee and the adopter(s).
    (4) The ethnicity of the child's biological parents cannot be a deciding factor when assessing prospective adopters.

Part II: Miscellaneous
    2 Short Title
    (1) This Act may be cited as the Mixed Race Adoptions Act 2012.

3 Commencement
    (1) This Act comes into law two months following Royal Assent.

Because I'm nice. It could probably be expanded but that's how I'd structure it. Aye to the sentiment, too.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good bill. Aye.
    • 62 followers

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe the reason for not allowing transracial adoptions was due to the child not having a proper connection with their roots and then feeling as if they don't belong to either community of their genetic race or their adopted parent(s). I somewhat support that thinking and am leaning towards abstention or voting nay.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.