The Student Room Group

Why are Europeans more diverse than the rest of the world in terms of appearance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by No Future
Diversity goes beyond eye and hair colour. Isn't that kind of shallow?

What about face shape, height, body shapes, facial structure, facial features, skin tone etc.

East Asian people do not all look the same. Just because they have dark hair and eyes, does not mean they look the same. If you can't tell the difference, you're just not used to seeing lots of Asians.

Some East Asians think all white people look the same because of pale skin, big nose, huge "cow eyes" etc. (not my words, but those of Asians I know)

There is more human genetic diversity in Africa than anywhere else, as well as phenotypic diversity.

Diversity goes beyond hair and eye colour.

Face shape and facial features are unique to every individual no matter what their race, even identical twins usually have some subtle differences. Height and body shape again vary in all ethnic groups, including in Caucasians. My point is that the variation in hair and eye colour is an additional form of diversity which exists mainly only in Caucasians and I would like to understand why this is.
Original post by Torpedo Fish
Face shape and facial features are unique to every individual no matter what their race, even identical twins usually have some subtle differences. Height and body shape again vary in all ethnic groups, including in Caucasians. My point is that the variation in hair and eye colour is an additional form of diversity which exists mainly only in Caucasians and I would like to understand why this is.

Go look up diversity in races. I think you'll find it's not white that has the most.
Reply 22
Diversity goes beyond eye and hair colour. Isn't that kind of shallow?

What about face shape, height, body shapes, facial structure, facial features, skin tone etc.

East Asian people do not all look the same. Just because they have dark hair and eyes, does not mean they look the same. If you can't tell the difference, you're just not used to seeing lots of Asians. Even in China, people from different regions have different appearances.

Some East Asians think all white people look the same because of pale skin, big nose, huge "cow eyes" etc. (not my words, but those of Asians I know)

Odd that because skin tone is often very different in white people. Also, a lot of white people have very small eyes. Its quite rare to see an East Asian with huge eyes. Also, their eyeshape is usually more or less the same. My grandma is Chinese so I am no way 'racist' before anyone says anything, its just something I've noticed.

There is more human genetic diversity in Africa than anywhere else, as well as phenotypic diversity.

Diversity goes beyond hair and eye colour.

True, however its pretty much a fact that hair, eye and skin colour wise Caucasians are the most diverse. Also, I've noticed many Indian Subcontinenters have a large similiar shaped nose (think Jews), and very similar physical attributes. Apparently this is because of the long term close nit inter breeding.

Saying that, so many white people look identical especially younger ones. Probably the dress sense many people do their hair, make up and clothing like 1000s of other people, couple that with being average looking and you look the same as 1000s of other people your age.
Go look up diversity in races. I think you'll find it's not white that has the most.

I know it isn't, but I'm talking about diversity in physical appearance only, not overall genetic diversity.
For example Europeans can have black, brown, blonde, strawberry blonde, red, auburn hair whereas Asians and Africans generally just have black or brown hair (excluding albinos). The same is true of eye colour, Europeans can have black, brown, blue, green, amber and violet eyes, in contrast the vast majority Asian and African people have black or brown eyes. I am aware of the rare exceptions were black people have blue/green eyes but this is generally considered to be <1%.

I was wondering why this is the case. I initially thought it must be linked to the genes involved in skin colour, but from what I've read, the alleles for hair/eye colour are quite distant from those of skin colour and apparently have little influence on them. So where did the diversity of the European population come from? I've read that 4% of the European genome derives from interbreeding with neanderthals, so maybe this is where the variation comes from :dontknow:

What do you think?

Generally i think that non-whites are more diverse e.g. indians can have any skin colour from white to black naturally. Blacks people can have any skin colour from brown to black (and pale if albinos count). Oriental people can be white to medium brown. About 15% of indians have coloured eyes-so not that rare. In terms of features a black person of east-african descent can look vastly different to someone from south-african/horn of africa. Indians can look white(lots look like italians)/black(certain tribes who are indian genetically)/yellow(east indians)/brown(majority-60%). White people are only diverse in hair and eye colour. In terms of features they look very similar. Just my opinion.
Reply 25
Not sure if this thread is serious.....

As someone has said previously, there is a lot more to diversity than looking like the same white girl who just changed her wig and contact lenses. Instead of making assumptions that places like Africa are full of "darkie clones" go visit these places and then you would see that there is a whole wealth of variety in facial structure, body structure, and skin tone across Asia and Africa. Kenyans and Nigerians and Somalians look nothing like each other. Likewise, Iranians and the Chinese also look nothing like each other. However a Spaniard and a German looks pretty much the same. Obviously you have the stereotypical "pointy beard Spaniard" and "square jaw German" but these differences are minor compared to the huge height of the Kenyans, the pitch black darkness of the Sudanese or the advertising space of the Somalian forehead.
Original post by Chloe xxx
True, however its pretty much a fact that hair, eye and skin colour wise Caucasians are the most diverse. Also, I've noticed many Indian Subcontinenters have a large similiar shaped nose (think Jews), and very similar physical attributes. Apparently this is because of the long term close nit inter breeding.

Saying that, so many white people look identical especially younger ones. Probably the dress sense many people do their hair, make up and clothing like 1000s of other people, couple that with being average looking and you look the same as 1000s of other people your age.

Odd that because skin tone is often very different in white people. Also, a lot of white people have very small eyes. Its quite rare to see an East Asian with huge eyes. Also, their eyeshape is usually more or less the same. My grandma is Chinese so I am no way 'racist' before anyone says anything, its just something I've noticed.

Actually Indian people can look very different, depending on which region they are from. Indian noses are not the same as Jewish noses.

White skin tone does vary, but not nearly as much as some other races e.g. African, Indian, East Asian (e.g. the palest Japanese who is paler than white people to a very dark Indonesian)

Asian eyeshape is not all the same. Yes, on average East Asians have smaller eyes than white people, but their eyes are not all the same shape and size. There are some white people with tiny eyes and some East Asians with large eyes, but these are unusual.
Original post by sexbo
Not sure if this thread is serious.....

As someone has said previously, there is a lot more to diversity than looking like the same white girl who just changed her wig and contact lenses. Instead of making assumptions that places like Africa are full of "darkie clones" go visit these places and then you would see that there is a whole wealth of variety in facial structure, body structure, and skin tone across Asia and Africa.

Totally agree. It is a stupid thread. White girl with blonde hair vs brunette white girl - ooh so different! There is more to physical appearance than hair and eye colour.

Yup, same as the perception that East Asia is full of short, yellow skinned, slitty eyed black hair people. There is variation between different countries and different regions in Asia, and it's not just hair or eye colour.
(edited 12 years ago)
I know it isn't, but I'm talking about diversity in physical appearance only, not overall genetic diversity.

In terms of phenotype AND genetics, Africa has more diversity.

There is more to appearance than eye and hair colour.
Europeans do tend to have more diversity when it comes to hair and eye colour. But that's pretty much it. Their differences in skin tones are not very dramatic - at least not in comparison to Indians or Africans. Genetic differences are found amongst all peoples in all continents. I mean, with as much space as a continent provides, does one not expect a degree of diversity?
No I think theres more diveristy in South Asia, you have people who look chinese, black, brown, white, in some areas people have auburn hair! In my family alone you can see the diveristy in colour I am more pale whilst some of my cousins are quite dark
In terms of hair and eye colour fair enough. But if you're talking about skin colour then black people are way more diverse. So it depends what you take into account. And let's face it, skin colour is bigger than hair or eye colour put together, I mean what's the first thing you notice about a person's appearance from afar? Bit obvious isn't it.

Edit: Wait, that'll mean Africa is more diverse than Europe, OP you failed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Chloe xxx

Black people are more diverse skin wise.
Diversity is NOT limited to hair and eye colour. :wink: I think Whites are far less diverse than many other races and agree that White people look like one person with different wig plus contact lenses. They may have different hair and eye colouring, but other than that, they all look the same:

- very narrow, very pointed nose
- very small thin lips
- medium sized eyes, exactly the same basic shape
- same thin hair texture and potential long length
- same basic facial shape and bone structure
- skin colour range is very limited: ghostly pale to light olive
- generally medium height
- similar body shapes and fat distribution

If you compare this with Black African people:
- West Africans tend to have larger flatter noses, East Africans tend to have tiny pointed noses
- West Africans have large lips, East Africans have small lips
- Some have small eyes, some have very large eyes
- Some have short afro hair, some have mid length curls and some East Africans have long wavy hair
- Many different facial shapes and bone structures
- large skin colour range: olive to very dark bluish black
- short to very tall
- generally very curvy West Africans and very slender East Africans

I think South Asians and Oriental Asians are also far more diverse than Whites. I've actually read in several places that Whites have the least genetic diversity because they're a new race.

(edited 12 years ago)

See my post above - you're either partially sighted or incredibly stupid. It's pretty obvious that Whites show far less diversity in face shape, facial features, height and body shape than other races. Just because this fact doesn't suit your beliefs and your definition of diversity doesn't make Whites more diverse. :nah: Diversity in appearance isn't limited eye and hair colour. Your original question was why are Europeans more diverse and most people in this thread have tried to explain why you're wrong.
Reply 35
Original post by -starlight-
Diversity is NOT limited to hair and eye colour. :wink: I think Whites are far less diverse than many other races and agree that White people look like one person with different wig plus contact lenses. They may have different hair and eye colouring, but other than that, they all look the same:

- very narrow, very pointed nose
- very small thin lips
- medium sized eyes, exactly the same basic shape
- same thin hair texture and potential long length
- same basic facial shape and bone structure
- skin colour range is very limited: ghostly pale to light olive
- generally medium height
- similar body shapes and fat distribution

If you compare this with Black African people:
- West Africans tend to have larger flatter noses, East Africans tend to have tiny pointed noses
- West Africans have large lips, East Africans have small lips
- Some have small eyes, some have very large eyes
- Some have short afro hair, some have mid length curls and some East Africans have long wavy hair
- Many different facial shapes and bone structures
- large skin colour range: olive to very dark bluish black
- short to very tall
- generally very curvy West Africans and very slender East Africans

I think South Asians and Oriental Asians are also far more diverse than Whites. I've actually read in several places that Whites have the least genetic diversity because they're a new race.

I'll agree with the part about South Asians and Black people being more diverse, but I don't think I can agree with Oriental asians being more diverse than white people.

To me, the differences between Southern/Hispanic Europeans and Northern Europeans outweigh the differences between northern and southern Orientals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by No Man
I'll agree with the part about South Asians and Black people being more diverse, but I don't think I can agree with Oriental asians being more diverse.

To me, the differences between Southern/Hispanic, Eastern and Northern Europeans outweigh the differences between northern and southern Orientals.

I'm not sure I agree. I think that the difference between a South Korean and a Malay/Filipino is greater than the difference between a Swede and a Spaniard.
Original post by -starlight-
See my post above - you're either partially sighted or incredibly stupid. It's pretty obvious that Whites show far less diversity in face shape, facial features, height and body shape than other races. Just because this fact doesn't suit your beliefs and your definition of diversity doesn't make Whites more diverse. :nah: Diversity in appearance isn't limited eye and hair colour. Your original question was why are Europeans more diverse and most people in this thread have tried to explain why you're wrong.

Your first post is full of completely ridiculous and demonstrably false generalisations. For every one of your baseless assertions about the allegedly generic features of Caucasians there are thousands of examples which prove you wrong. I cannot believe there is somebody stupid and deluded enough to claim that all white people have the same body shape and facial structure. :facepalm:

I could post an image which would foreground the absurdity of every claim you make but it'd take up too much space and more time than I'm willing to spend on a ****wit such as yourself. So I'll post just one that I think adequately demonstrates my point.

07twins1.jpg

As you can see, apart from eye and hair colour, they look exactly the same. :rolleyes:
Original post by No Man
I'll agree with the part about South Asians and Black people being more diverse, but I don't think I can agree with Oriental asians being more diverse than white people.

To me, the differences between Southern/Hispanic Europeans and Northern Europeans outweigh the differences between northern and southern Orientals.

Nah, the difference between say a Japanese person and an Indonesian person is much greater than say the difference between a German person and a Spanish person.
Your first post is full of completely ridiculous and demonstrably false generalisations. For every one of your baseless assertions about the allegedly generic features of Caucasians there are thousands of examples which prove you wrong. I cannot believe there is somebody stupid and deluded enough to claim that all white people have the same body shape and facial structure. :facepalm:

I could post an image which would foreground the absurdity of every claim you make but it'd take up too much space and more time than I'm willing to spend on a ****wit such as yourself. So I'll post just one that I think adequately demonstrates my point.

07twins1.jpg

As you can see, apart from eye and hair colour, they look exactly the same. :rolleyes:

We have already established that Africa has the greatest phenotypic diversity.

Consider Asia too and its diversity in appearance. Even Indian people look different from different regions, then you have Japanese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, Filipino, Laotian, Malay etc etc. A lot more diverse than white person from UK, white person from France, white person from Sweden etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending