The Student Room Group

Insurance Fronting or Not?

Hi guys, I just have a quick question about fronting.
My dad has just bought a family car, registered in his name, but primarily for my use. He and my mum will both be driving it occasionally but I will probably rack up the most miles on that car.
If my dad was the main driver on the car, and me and my mum as named drivers, but me using it the most, would this be fronting?

I only ask because the car is registered in his name.

could someone please just explain the situation to me because i do not want to get in any trouble.

thanks.
Original post by U.Ahmed
Hi guys, I just have a quick question about fronting.
My dad has just bought a family car, registered in his name, but primarily for my use. He and my mum will both be driving it occasionally but I will probably rack up the most miles on that car.
If my dad was the main driver on the car, and me and my mum as named drivers, but me using it the most, would this be fronting?

I only ask because the car is registered in his name.

could someone please just explain the situation to me because i do not want to get in any trouble.

thanks.

Yes that would be fronting, and if the insurance company caught you they would not pay out.
Reply 2
Yes. Whoever drives it most should be the main driver. Not only might they not pay out in the event of an accident, but if they found out beforehand you could be done for insurance fraud. Insurance companies are getting all the more wise to it now.
Reply 3
Wait, he said his dad registered it in his (his dad's) name. Isn't it who's listed as the main driver on the insurance that should be driving it more regardless of who's the registered owner?
Reply 4
Original post by Pony Jack
Wait, he said his dad registered it in his (his dad's) name. Isn't it who's listed as the main driver on the insurance that should be driving it more regardless of who's the registered owner?

this.
Reply 5
Original post by Pony Jack

Yes, whoever drives it most often should be the main driver on the insurance.

It does get slightly confusing though when some insurance companies only insure someone on a car as the main driver if they are also the owner (something about them driving more careful as they have financial interest in the car). But this is then made even more confusing by the fact that being the registered keeper doesn't make you the legal owner, in fact it's two seperate questions on most insurance quote sites. I only know this because me and my dad want to swap cars but need to sort how I'm going to work the insurance out.
Reply 6
Original post by Elwyn
Yes, whoever drives it most often should be the main driver on the insurance.

It does get slightly confusing though when some insurance companies only insure someone on a car as the main driver if they are also the owner (something about them driving more careful as they have financial interest in the car). But this is then made even more confusing by the fact that being the registered keeper doesn't make you the legal owner, in fact it's two seperate questions on most insurance quote sites. I only know this because me and my dad want to swap cars but need to sort how I'm going to work the insurance out.

So the mere fact of who is the registered keeper and/or owner is irrelevant to the issue of fronting, only that some insurers don't want the keeper/owner and main driver to be two separate people. So the solution would be to find one that is okay with this then.
Go ahead. What they going to do, hire a spy to see who uses the car the most?
Reply 8
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me

They are actually starting to do this. It's not all too difficult to tell when someone is doing it just by looking at the policy. All it takes is a few visits from an insurance fraud investigator to keep an eye on the use of the car and they'll know.
Reply 9

Almost. If you make a claim they'll send an investigator round to ask your neighbours who drives the car.

Use any possible excuse to get out of paying up in the event of a claim more like.
Reply 11
The problem here is that they are stating that the main policy holder must also be the registered owner of the car.
i will give them a call tomorrow.
also, how would they know who is driving the car most of the time.
Reply 12
oh, and thanks every one for the info.
Reply 13
Original post by U.Ahmed
The problem here is that they are stating that the main policy holder must also be the registered owner of the car.
i will give them a call tomorrow.
also, how would they know who is driving the car most of the time.

By investigating if they thought there was an issue

More time or most miles - there is no distinction as to who on the policy would be the main driver unless its stated

Odd thing to say re owner and main policy holder but if that insurer is saying it perhaps another will not
Yes, it's fronting and yes it's illegal. Them not paying out if they find out might be the least of your worries. Try getting insurance again once you've had a policy cancelled.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending