The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Stefan1991
What is or isn't a "sexual orientation" is completely up to opinion. Same with the concept of a mental "disorder". They are subjective, moralistic terms with no basis in objective science.

The link below it was an actual academic article on paedosexuality. It's the correct non-biased term for what you know as "paedophilia".

I provided several studies which claim child sexual activity is not necessarily harmful and can often be beneficial. Check the last two pages.

Lol. Was it? Why even provide the wikipedia link then? And you keep ignoring that your word comes up in Urban Dictionary and the pro-pedophile website in a quick google search, not in an apparently accredited source.

And well done, several sources, okay what is the general opinion on the subject? I'm sure there are plenty more to suggest otherwise. I can't even talk to you anymore, and please do not become a parent if you think that having sex with children can be beneficial.

Goodnight.
Reply 461
Original post by tufc
How can you say that, though? That's your opinion - in what way is homosexuality more natural than paedophilia.

By the definition of what natural means? Not very hard to understand
Reply 462
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Lol. Was it? Why even provide the wikipedia link then? And you keep ignoring that your word comes up in Urban Dictionary and the pro-pedophile website in a quick google search, not in an apparently accredited source.

And well done, several sources, okay what is the general opinion on the subject? I'm sure there are plenty more to suggest otherwise. I can't even talk to you anymore, and please do not become a parent if you think that having sex with children can be beneficial.

Goodnight.

It's not about me thinking anything. I'm only going off the scientific research. I don't have any opinions outside of the scientific evidence. If the scientific research said differently then I'd have a different opinion.

I've provided the research which attests to the fact paedophilia is no different from sexual orientations such as hetereosexuality and homosexuality and does not qualify as a 'paraphilia'. I've provided the research which attests to the fact that non-coercive child sexual activity is rarely harmful and sometimes beneficial.

Nobody has provided any of their own research which refutes it. They just say "oh yeah sure theres loads of studies disproving that but I'm not actually going to check if there is!" Why should I take their word for it when they ignore all my evidence?
It's not about me thinking anything. I'm only going off the scientific research. I don't have any opinions outside of the scientific evidence. If the scientific research said differently then I'd have a different opinion.

I've provided the research which attests to the fact paedophilia is no different from sexual orientations such as hetereosexuality and homosexuality and does not qualify as a 'paraphilia'. I've provided the research which attests to the fact that non-coercive child sexual activity is rarely harmful and sometimes beneficial.

Nobody has provided any of their own research which refutes it. They just say "oh yeah sure theres loads of studies disproving that but I'm not actually going to check if there is!" Why should I take their word for it when they ignore all my evidence?

Here is a rebuttal for that info you posted from the APA, APA Admits Error in Publishing Highly Criticized "Adult-Child Sex" Study: http://www.prevent-abuse-now.com/rebuttal.htm#Error

Please read all of what it says - every section before commenting.

Don't have children if you think it can be beneficial.
Reply 464
Original post by AlmostChicGeek
Here is a rebuttal for that info you posted from the APA, APA Admits Error in Publishing Highly Criticized "Adult-Child Sex" Study: http://www.prevent-abuse-now.com/rebuttal.htm#Error

Please read all of what it says - every section before commenting.

Don't have children if you think it can be beneficial.

Why shouldn't I have children? :confused:

And wow, you really need to research the history concerning that controversy. The APA were forced to back down due to intense political pressure, condemnations from politicians and resolutions passed in legislatures which contributed to a 'chilling-effect' on that type of research.

The only reason the APA backed down because its a politically contentious issue, nothing to do with science. They even still claimed that they did not regret publishing it because of academic freedom. Of course I'm sure prevent-abuse-now.com and the Family Resource Council are highly unbiased sources on this issue.

"the American Psychological Association unveiled Wednesday a resolution condemning all "sexual relations between children and adults." However they did not refute that their research was correct. They decided that their standpoint was that it's "immoral". American psychologist associations do not decide on what is moral, particularly if their research suggests it does not cause harm. Harm is what causes things to be immoral.

"In his letter, Dr. Fowler, who had earlier defended the article on national television as "a good study," now acknowledges that the article is "inflammatory" and includes opinions "inconsistent" with APA's policy on child protection issues. He admits that APA "failed" to "evaluate the article based on its potential for misinforming the public policy process."

The only criticism is that the article is 'inflammatory', well obviously it's going to be inflammatory when everyone realises that their hysteria and political warmongering is unfounded. It would mean it could not be used as a political football. The only other criticism is that the article goes against public policy, suggesting that public policy is going against science. Which it is.

Was this article meant to prove some sort of point?

And wow, you really need to research the history concerning that controversy. The APA were forced to back down due to intense political pressure, condemnations from politicians and resolutions passed in legislatures which contributed to a 'chilling-effect' on that type of research.

The only reason the APA backed down because its a politically contentious issue, nothing to do with science. They even still claimed that they did not regret publishing it because of academic freedom. Of course I'm sure prevent-abuse-now.com and the Family Resource Council are highly unbiased sources on this issue.

"the American Psychological Association unveiled Wednesday a resolution condemning all "sexual relations between children and adults." However they did not refute that their research was correct. They decided that their standpoint was that it's "immoral". American psychologist associations do not decide on what is moral, particularly if their research suggests it does not cause harm. Harm is what causes things to be immoral.

"In his letter, Dr. Fowler, who had earlier defended the article on national television as "a good study," now acknowledges that the article is "inflammatory" and includes opinions "inconsistent" with APA's policy on child protection issues. He admits that APA "failed" to "evaluate the article based on its potential for misinforming the public policy process."

The only criticism is that the article is 'inflammatory', well obviously it's going to be inflammatory when everyone realises that their hysteria and political warmongering is unfounded. It would mean it could not be used as a political football. The only other criticism is that the article goes against public policy, suggesting that public policy is going against science. Which it is.

Was this article meant to prove some sort of point?

Yes, you shouldn't if you think sexual abuse is beneficial to children.

Wow, you didn't read it all. I said to you to read all of it.

'Dr. David Spiegel, a psychiatrist at Stanford University and a member of the leadership council, criticized the study, saying it had serious methodological flaws and that the researchers "use meta-analysis the way a drunk uses a lamppost -- for support, rather than illumination."

Spiegel, who with other researchers hopes to publish a critique of the journal article, said many other studies indicated that sexually abused children can suffer severe consequences. Studies have linked sexual abuse to post-traumatic stress disorder, eating disorders, increased risk of suicide, and gastrointestinal problems.'

I can quote things too see? Another expert criticised the methodology, and that many other studies indicated the opposite.

Thus, it isn't the be all in end all, and was one study, which many experts disagreed with, as it wasn't conducted properly.

Oh read this too: 'It is the position of the Association that sexual activity between children and adults should never be considered or labeled as harmless or acceptable. Furthermore, it is the position of the Association that children cannot consent to sexual activities with adults. These inconsistencies between the conclusions the authors suggest and positions of the Association should have caused us to evaluate the article based on its potential for misinforming the public policy process. This is something we failed to do, but will do in the future.'

See when someone asks you to read the whole thing, please do.
Reply 466

I take it you would have absolutely no problem letting a known paedophile look after your children?
Reply 467
Original post by notnerdylikeyou
ooooh my bad smart ass.what a grammer nazi i was slightly high due to that i had a bit off spelling errors their but if you actually try to read what i was saying instead of acting BIG AND SMART on the internet you would understand what i meant.honestly you are a like hundred other grammer nazi jerks on the internet who troll for a spelling error.does this give your self esteem a boost or something? your the type of ass who probably gets bullied in school.honestly congratulation you have really peed me off!:angry::angry::angry::angry::mad::mad::mad::mad::angry::angry::angry::angry:

*Sigh* No, not a grammar Nazi, merely someone who would like posts to be understandable. How picky and demanding of me! I did, in fact, take the time to read your incoherent ramblings, and they were just as illogical as the manner in which they were written.

I don't troll for spelling errors, I do however expect that, if someone is going to attempt to argue with me over my sexuality, they would at least have the decency to do it in understandable English.

Your sensitivity is really shining through here, well done. I'll have you know, I am neither an ass, nor am I bullied at school, but kudos for trying.

Oh, I peed you off; please accept my sincerest apologies.
Original post by Jester94
*Sigh* No, not a grammar Nazi, merely someone who would like posts to be understandable. How picky and demanding of me! I did, in fact, take the time to read your incoherent ramblings, and they were just as illogical as the manner in which they were written.

I don't troll for spelling errors, I do however expect that, if someone is going to attempt to argue with me over my sexuality, they would at least have the decency to do it in understandable English.

Your sensitivity is really shining through here, well done. I'll have you know, I am neither an ass, nor am I bullied at school, but kudos for trying.

Oh, I peed you off; please accept my sincerest apologies.

wait hold up your a lesbian????
Reply 469

Yes, thank you for noticing. Do you have a problem with that as well?

How that relevant?
I'm offended by a lot of what you have said.

Homosexuality occurs between two consenting adults, paedophilia is not. So the comparisons are very offensive.

Incest is looked down on society due to the majority of people feeling that it is repulsive, and to myself, I find it repulsive but some people don't, and so what? Let them love if they want. I also found it quite funny, that a lot of what you said can be reverted to heterosexuality.

The main thing I dislike about your opinion, is that I don't see what the point is. Why the hate? Why can't you live and let live?
Yes, thank you for noticing. Do you have a problem with that as well?

a problem.......well that will be another topic. a more dire question is i take it your atheist?
Reply 473
a problem.......well that will be another topic. a more dire question is i take it your atheist?

Not really, considering this thread is about homosexuality.

Yes, I am.
Reply 474

Its funny how you're happy to voice your dislike of xenophobia in other threads, yet you're more than happy to attack someone based on their sexuality and, it seems, their lack of religious beliefs.
Not really, considering this thread is about homosexuality.

Yes, I am.

oh no surprise!!! it all makes sense now thanks.
Reply 476
Original post by ohirome
I take it you would have absolutely no problem letting a known paedophile look after your children?

If I knew them and trusted them, of course. If I had a mentally retarded sister, I would let my heterosexual male friend look after her and wouldn't worry about him raping her if I trusted him. It's the same thing.

People are not automatically determined to be rapists on account of their sexuality. Those are two completely different things. I'm often in the presence of attractive females and somehow I manage to prevent myself from violently raping them.
Reply 477
oh no surprise!!! it all makes sense now thanks.

So because I am a lesbian and an atheist, both of which you seem to have a problem with, you assume you have me all figured out?
Reply 478
If I knew them and trusted them, of course. If I had a mentally retarded sister, I would let my heterosexual male friend look after her and wouldn't worry about him raping her if I trusted him. It's the same thing.

People are not automatically determined to be rapists on account of their sexuality. Those are two completely different things. I'm often in the presence of attractive females and somehow I manage to prevent myself from violently raping them.

The difference being that the average heterosexual male doesn't harbour desires to have sex with mentally disabled people. There are of course exceptions to the rule, but not in comparison with paedophiles. Its certainly not a guarantee that there would be an issue if you did leave your child, but the risk is there. A vulnerable child doesn't pose the same challenge to a paedophile as a grown adult would to you, since the power balance is much different.
Reply 479
First of all, a relationship between an adult and a child is not consensual.

Secondly, incest is in no way the same. If a man fancies his sister, it's not like he ONLY fancies his sister and so cannot be in a relationship with other women. It's like if someone fancied someone unobtainable, like Holly Willoughby or something; it's not as if he ONLY fancies her and is incapable of loving anyone else.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending