The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tommyjw
Indeed. And lets look at your last point.

'As in for an adult to have sex or attempt to have sex with a sexually immature juvenile.'

See the difference? Pretty obvious tbh.

If they are just thinking about it and not acting upon it society will never be the wiser.

That has no bearing at all on this thread where we talk about the active paedophilia.

Its a rather obtuse point you are making. Unless you are trying to discuss the psychology behind animals of course.

And again why not just say what ever the hell you are thinking!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jamie
Therein lies the problem. You view sexual intercourse as a completely benign entity. Whereas it technically has more risk and consequences than many medical procedures such as taking a bloodtest.

THere are various aspects to consent which require a level of maturity, understanding and dealing with long term consequences.
Its not simple. You don't become competent to consent at a specific age, and not all children will be at the same level of others of the same age.
Again, arbritray lines for 16 were created, with specific tests and rules applied to consent in under 16 years of age.
I can't see a 40 year old guy checking the 12 year old he is about to bang is Fraser competent.

Exactly this. I wasn't allowed to fill a prescription for antacids when I was aged 15, this carries much less risk than having sex.
Yes there are individual differences and 16 is arbitrary, but it is an average. It wasn't just plucked out of thin air.
Using age based criteria for issues of consent is troublesome. People can have kids at 16 but can't have a tattoo until they're 18. Of course, males of any age can have circumcision performed for theological reasons at any age, unless I'm mistaken.
Reply 543
Original post by Miracle Day
Because paedophillia damages people, and homosexuality doesn't?

Please provide your evidence. People ASSUME this is the case, and try to molly coddle kids who have been found to have had sexual relationships with adults. This leads to them being given therapy and brainwashing that everything that happened to them was bad, and the person they loved was an evil nasty person - when this may not have been the case. When this happens - why do you think those people grow up to be sexually dysfunctional? Might there be adults out there who had good experiences with Paedophiles as children and remember it fondly, but keep it quiet because of people's opinions on the subject?

Just playing devil's advocate here, as I hate people making assumptions and claims to know everything about something, when only half the story is known - even in scientific research on the subject.

This may be interesting to some http://www.leadershipcouncil.org/1/res/dallam/2.html
Reply 544
Original post by Tommyjw
Paedeophilia is not found, as far as i am aware, in any other species, whether it be acts or not. Certainly nowhere close to the extent homosexuality is found if it is. This makes one natural in that sense and the other not. Very simple.

So something is made 'natural' by the extent to which it is found outside the human species? That's rubbish. Other species fight and kill each other over their 'pack': should we not then accept race war to be 'natural'?

Polar bears will quite happily eat other polar bears' young. Should we see eating other people's babies as 'natural'?

How about rape? Orangutan males regularly rape the females. Does that make 'rape' natural.

Incest is also common in the animal kingdom - does that make it 'natural'?

So unfortunately, your supercilious attitude has absolutely no base. Whilst all these things are 'natural', your thesis that homosexuality is more acceptable than rape, incest, eating babies etc. because it occurs outside the human species is completely unfounded and illogical.
Reply 545
Original post by Tommyjw
Paedeophilia is not found, as far as i am aware, in any other species, whether it be acts or not.

Suggest reading up on a species called the Bonobo Chimpanzee. Incidentally, the closest relative to Homo Sapiens still in living existence. Your argument is just like the old Catholic one, that animals don't have sex for fun - now of course widely dis-proven.

Because paedophillia damages people, and homosexuality doesn't?

Please could you state the source of your evidence? Whenever an adult is found to have engaged in sexual acts with a child, the adult is thrown in jail, and the child given "therapy" wherein they're brainwashed into believing the things that happened were bad, and the person who did them was evil. This is only based on the assumptions of the person delivering the therapy. Of course it may be the case that the child enjoyed those acts, and very much loved the person who did them.

Is it any surprise the children we know about who were "victims" of paedophiles grow up to be dysfunctional adults?

Do you think adults who had sex with Paedophiles as a child, but enjoyed the experience and see it as positive would stand up and be counted - given society's negative views towards the subject?

Does automatically assuming such contact is a bad thing, and society having negative views, create a victim where there was none previously?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by anewman
Suggest reading up on a species called the Bonobo Chimpanzee. Incidentally, the closest relative to Homo Sapiens still in living existence. Your argument is just like the old Catholic one, that animals don't have sex for fun - now of course widely dis-proven.

Please could you state the source of your evidence? Whenever an adult is found to have engaged in sexual acts with a child, the adult is thrown in jail, and the child given "therapy" wherein they're brainwashed into believing the things that happened were bad, and the person who did them was evil. This is only based on the assumptions of the person delivering the therapy. Of course it may be the case that the child enjoyed those acts, and very much loved the person who did them.

Is it any surprise the children we know about who were "victims" of paedophiles grow up to be dysfunctional adults?

Do you think adults who had sex with Paedophiles as a child, but enjoyed the experience and see it as positive would stand up and be counted - given society's negative views towards the subject?

Does automatically assuming such contact is a bad thing, and society having negative views, create a victim where there was none previously?

Well you go find a kid fresh from being molested by their uncle and ask them if they enjoyed it.
Reply 547
I have studied Psychology at Undergraduate and Masters and disagree with your conclusions. In children from the time they're born, boys can have erections, girl's vaginas can lubricate, and both can reach orgasm (not things I have learned through experience I might add). The only difference is a boy does not produce ejaculate, and a girl cannot get pregnant, until they have gone through puberty. It is actually very normal for young children to explore each other's bodies and play "doctors and nurses". It is also very normal for children to find out rubbing their genitals is pleasurable. But of course parents almost universally tell children off for doing such things. All this goes against your assertion the brain is not developed enough.

I guess the question is, does it make it any different when it is an adult, rather than a similar-aged child? It is certainly exploitative for an adult to initiate such activity, but I have never seen conclusive proof that harm occurs through non-coercive and consensual adult-child sex. It's always coloured by someone's opinion, and I suspect publication bias has a lot to do with it. Google for "Gardner a review of his theories" for an interesting read from the slant of someone who is against his ideas.
Original post by Stefan1991
Yes, because you said all child sexual activity is coercive. Therefore as a 15 year old engaging in sexual activity, according to you I must have been coerced.

Why would it matter if the ages are similar? Why would it matter if a 40 year old is having sex with a 15 year old rather than a 16 year old?

Why does one need some sort of special mental capacity to agree to sex? If they don't need one for anything else.

I agree that is one reason they renounced it, because it would provide a defence to child sex abuse making it more difficult to prosecute. However that does not detract from the fact that it proves child sexual "abuse" is not necessarily harmful.

You really think if a 1000 studies came out which proved beyond doubt that child sexual activity is beneficial it would make a difference to the "party line"? No. It is a politically contentious issue. Politics is what decides the "party line", not science. It was the political backlash which led to the APA backtracking from the study.

In the same way homosexuality was always considered a "mental illness" with no scientific evidence to back it up. Once political pressure was applied and society began seeing it as acceptable, it quickly changed.

And there are many studies, many of which I quoted in large parts a few pages ago which were conveniently ignored. I'm sorry, but it is naive to suggest that people will change their opinions on such a stigmatised issue merely because of scientific evidence. You come out with the scientific truth which contradicts public policy, you lose your career. Look at Professor Nutt when he told the truth about cannabis and MDMA.

I don't know why you consider a 'horrible organisation', I guess I don't know that much about them apart that they used to be part of the LGBTQ movement. But I'm not claiming that children should be put at risk, I'm saying people should look past their biases and simply accept the scientific truth and not tarnish all people with a certain sexual orientation with the same brush. You are grateful people don't do that for homosexuals, why do it with paedosexuals?

I understand there needs to be a line. I'm not calling for the abolishment of the age of consent. However I would argue it should be lowered to 13. I'm saying that you can't factually assert that ALL child-sexual activity is harmful, because it is simply inaccurate and beyond reason. What exactly is the mechanism which causes harm without coercion? It remains unexplained.

Not all paedophiles are 'high-risk', the majority would never even come into contact with a child. Studies have shown only about 3% would actually go through with sexual contact with a child if no one found out. Around 90% of child abusers aren't even what can be classed as paedophiles, most child abusers are sexual opportunists. When heterosexuals are convicted of rape, nobody begins to claim that all heterosexuals are "high risk" of raping people.

Quote it or it didn't happen. Exactly, I acknowledged the difference between being a similar age, and a 40 year old and an 8 year old. I never said that it 'all was coercive'. The difference is that a 40 yr old is more physically and mentally developed than an 8 year old, and fully understands the consequences, whilst an 8 year old can't understand, and has not yet gone through puberty. You are quite frankly an idiot, if you cannot see the difference.

Of course someone needs a mental capacity in order to have sex, would you have sex with someone in a coma? Or someone with mental health issues, in that they wouldn't understand what was going on? No.

It was the risk that pedophiles would try and defend sexually abusing children, that led them to backtrack.

Do you know what? I can't even be bothered. I find your views astounding, that you think it is okay to have sex with a child that hasn't fully developed mental capacity in order to understand what is going on.

There may be some evidence to back up that not all sexual interactions with children are harmful, but to suggest that it does not matter if there is like a thirty year age gap between adult and child, is abhorrent.

Why is thirteen better than sixteen sorry? Do we want children in second year a t school becoming mothers, when they can't get a job, and many children of that age can barely look after themselves?

Lowering the age is irresponsible, as one of the consequences of sex can be pregnancy. Nothing is 100% effective, and to invite young children to take that risk is completely stupid.

I can see why you hold some of your views, as there has been studies to back up your claims, however you fail to see the bigger picture on the matter. Even if 'we just lowered the age of consent' as you say, there would be huge ramifications to that, as there is the potential to have lots more mothers who are barely in their teenage years, and can barely look after themselves let alone provide for a child. Also, there would be children younger than that, as people would argue 'what is the big difference between 11 and thirteen', as you have said about 16 year olds.

I have had enough of this conversation, it is tiring and we have polar opposite views on the matter, so there is really no point for it to continue. We aren't going to convince each other! Have a nice day.
Reply 549
Original post by anewman

My argument is not actually like that at all and that is a completely irrelevant comparison.

I also suggest you learn the difference between paedopihlia and infanticide :fyi:

Original post by tufc
Other species fight and kill each other over their 'pack': should we not then accept race war to be 'natural'?

Yes we should

Unless of course you use a completely wrong, unintelligent and imaginary definition of the word. But last time i checked Natural means something, it is defined by the human language as we speak the word natural, thus we follow what we mean by the word.

So unfortunately, your supercilious attitude has absolutely no base. Whilst all these things are 'natural', your thesis that homosexuality is more acceptable than rape, incest, eating babies etc. because it occurs outside the human species is completely unfounded and illogical.

/yawn
Never said it was more factual that any of those things :fyi:

Try not to put words in my mouth, it makes you look oh so pathetic.

And as above. I follow what the word actually means. You do not. You are the illogical one and you have no argument other than to completely ignore the humanly specificiated human language meaning of the word natural.
Original post by anewman

Please could you state the source of your evidence? Whenever an adult is found to have engaged in sexual acts with a child, the adult is thrown in jail, and the child given "therapy" wherein they're brainwashed into believing the things that happened were bad, and the person who did them was evil.

Are you trying to say it isn't bad?

Original post by anewman

Of course it may be the case that the child enjoyed those acts, and very much loved the person who did them.

Children under aged are deemed not emotionally capable of knowing what they want.
Young children aren't capable of love.

Just shut the **** up. You're an absolute idiot, probably a paedophile yourself. I don't think I've ever come across people defending them like this, and saying they don't damage children, and saying it's right.

You disgust me.
Original post by anewman
I have studied Psychology at Undergraduate and Masters and disagree with your conclusions. In children from the time they're born, boys can have erections, girl's vaginas can lubricate, and both can reach orgasm (not things I have learned through experience I might add). The only difference is a boy does not produce ejaculate, and a girl cannot get pregnant, until they have gone through puberty. It is actually very normal for young children to explore each other's bodies and play "doctors and nurses". It is also very normal for children to find out rubbing their genitals is pleasurable. But of course parents almost universally tell children off for doing such things. All this goes against your assertion the brain is not developed enough.

Just because they get an erection/play doctor and nurse doesn't mean they are cognitively capable of understanding/consenting to sexual relations. I thought you said you studied psychology? This is very basic psychology. Also none of what you said said anything about brain development. :confused:

I guess the question is, does it make it any different when it is an adult, rather than a similar-aged child? It is certainly exploitative for an adult to initiate such activity, but I have never seen conclusive proof that harm occurs through non-coercive and consensual adult-child sex. It's always coloured by someone's opinion, and I suspect publication bias has a lot to do with it. Google for "Gardner a review of his theories" for an interesting read from the slant of someone who is against his ideas.

Again for knowing psychology, you should be able to understand that child cannot consent to sex. They do not have the cognitive/emotional facets to do so.
Reply 552
Original post by Tommyjw
My argument is not actually like that at all and that is a completely irrelevant comparison.

I also suggest you learn the difference between paedopihlia and infanticide :fyi:

Yes we should

Unless of course you use a completely wrong, unintelligent and imaginary definition of the word. But last time i checked Natural means something, it is defined by the human language as we speak the word natural, thus we follow what we mean by the word.

/yawn
Never said it was more factual that any of those things :fyi:

Try not to put words in my mouth, it makes you look oh so pathetic.

And as above. I follow what the word actually means. You do not. You are the illogical one and you have no argument other than to completely ignore the humanly specificiated human language meaning of the word natural.

I've pointed out several examples of how if we allowed things as a society on the basis that they're 'natural', we would allow some of the worst crimes they are. You've only replied to my weakest example, and I do not know the basis of your claim that you're the one who is following what the word 'natural' means when I've applied it equally to all situations.

So, I'll ask you again: How can you state that homosexuality is more acceptable than paedophilia because it occurs in other species when crimes that are demonstrably worse than paedophilia also occur in other species?
Reply 553
Are you trying to say it isn't bad?

Children under aged are deemed not emotionally capable of knowing what they want.
Young children aren't capable of love.

Just shut the **** up. You're an absolute idiot, probably a paedophile yourself. I don't think I've ever come across people defending them like this, and saying they don't damage children, and saying it's right.

You disgust me.

It's quite pathetic how you insult someone for bettering your point, especially given that they've studied Psychology at undergraduate and postgraduate level. :rolleyes:
Original post by tufc
It's quite pathetic how you insult someone for bettering your point, especially given that they've studied Psychology at undergraduate and postgraduate level. :rolleyes:

Firstly, you have twisted views.

Anyone trying to say that Paedophillia isn't bad isn't worth arguing with. Because they're obviously ignorant and stupid enough to think that anyway.
Original post by anewman

As such a distinguished psychologist, perhaps you could tell us the age ranges you are thinking of when saying non-coercive consensual adult-child sex.
Are you talking simple >16yo plus <16yo sex or you mean >16yo with <12yo sex etc.
Reply 556
the reason paedophilia cannot be compared to homosexuality is because children cannot consent to a sexual relationship, and so while being as paedophile is legal, actually acting on paedophilic urges is criminal and must be punished. adults can consent, and so homosexuality is perfectly fine. while it is unfortunate that paedophiles are ostracized despite having no choice in their sexual preferences, it is necessary to protect children. banning homosexuality protects nobody, as nobody suffers from it. incest is a more valid comparison as nobody is actually hamed from it (except in parent-child relationships, which amounts to grooming). to be honest, incest probably shouldn't be illegal, nor other forms of relationships such are polygamy, since assuming they are concensual there is little problem with it. however there is a much larger demand for gay rights than for those other groups, so legalising them is probably not yet worth it

as for preventing homosexuality for the good of the human race, our population has just topped 7 billion and is still rising. homosexuals not reproducing is in no way harming humanity. if anything homosexuality should be encouraged to prevent overpopulation.
Original post by Jester94
So because I am a lesbian and an atheist, both of which you seem to have a problem with, you assume you have me all figured out?

yep pretty much figured you out.you got rid of god to give yourself the excuse to be a homosexual.don't even start about you being born homosexual.....
Original post by notnerdylikeyou
yep pretty much figured you out.you got rid of god to give yourself the excuse to be a homosexual.don't even start about you being born homosexual.....

Lol...wow. you are just so intelligent aren't you? Can't even use basic powers of reason to debate so you resort to claiming anyone who doesn't believe in your god is wrong. You might as well just leave now seeing as you haven't said anything productive at all on this thread.
Original post by RandZul'Zorander
Lol...wow. you are just so intelligent aren't you? Can't even use basic powers of reason to debate so you resort to claiming anyone who doesn't believe in your god is wrong. You might as well just leave now seeing as you haven't said anything productive at all on this thread.

and which god do i believe in?

Latest

Trending

Trending