Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

One full day of community of service for every citizen.

Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think every single citizen between the ages of 16 and 65 should be required and encouraged by a law or mandate to contribute 24 hours service to their perspective community every year. It should not matter what tax bracket they are in or what benefits they receive. Exemptions should only be given in the most extreme cases. In other words, I don’t care how important or disabled you think you are, everyone is capable of contributing in some way.

The program would be managed much in the way that community service for judicial sentences are. The only difference is that this program should focus on the pride of contributing something to your community instead of penance for misdeeds. One way I could think of to implement such a policy would be to introduce a tax or fine on people who fail to log the required hours.

Another possibility would be to only allow citizens to register to vote if they have documentation proving they have completed their service. I fully realize that this would lead to many just opting not to vote. I also realize that many would argue that this would alienate a wide range of demographic voters. My counter argument would be that someone who can’t be arsed to contribute one small day to the community in which they live does not deserve a vote.

One obvious benefit to such a plan would be the direct impact to the community. More importantly though, would be the perspective it would give to people living on both ends of the social scale. The wealthy CEO, or banker may just learn something while they are serving food at a shelter or picking up trash. Likewise, the person on benefits or occasional chav may just find that they can take a little pride in contributing to their society instead of only taking from it.

Before everyone unleashes the fury on me, just realize that the 24 hours is symbolic. I’m only suggesting that every person should be able to give one small day back to their community out of pride, gratitude or both. One day per year is not so much to ask.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Community service is seen as a punishment for crimes, with that in mind, your idea would be seen as a punishment to hard working citizens. How would criminals repay their crimes if community service is compulsary for everyone?

However, to completely contradict myself, I do feel that those that have been on job seekers allowance for OVER a certain amount of time (lets say a year) should be made to take part in community service. Mainly because if you've been on jobs seekers for a year, you can't be THAT serious in finding employment and that scheme may help to give people a push to get back into work.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think every single citizen between the ages of 16 and 65 should be required and encouraged by a law or mandate to contribute 24 hours service to their perspective community every year.
    Sounds like Neo-Feudalism's Big Society to me.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    And how much money will be spent enforcing such a law?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Americaaaaaaaaaaaaa, **** yeah!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guybrush Sheepgood)
    And how much money will be spent enforcing such a law?
    Not much. The mechanisms are already in place with the judicial based community service program. It would require extra cost to process the massive additional data though. If the government had to invest an extra 10 mins of administrative time for each citizen it would gain an extra 24 hours in community service. Seems like a good deal in theory.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Sounds like Neo-Feudalism's Big Society to me.
    I want less government. I just like the idea that every person should have to contribute something to their society. I also like the idea that everyone owes the same amount. Because it is not a tax on wealth, it is a tax on time.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Americaaaaaaaaaaaaa, **** yeah!
    What does one person's opinion have to do with an entire country of over 300m people? Ignoranceeeeeeeeeee, **** yeah!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It's a nice idea but would be a ball-ache to implement. Tbh I don't like ball-ache.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The principle is good BUT something that isn't used to punish people should be used. Else good, hard-working citizens will feel as if they're being punished, just for living in this country.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    I want less government. I just like the idea that every person should have to contribute something to their society. I also like the idea that everyone owes the same amount. Because it is not a tax on wealth, it is a tax on time.
    Fwahahaha.The government would create an expensive department to oversee this.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckingalt)
    People who work and pay taxes already contribute to society. People who don't work may be required to do something for their community since they don't generate money, but I suspect that this may be based on justice, or the lack of justice, to account for those who do contribute to society by generating money.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    People who work and pay taxes already contribute to society. People who don't work may be required to do something for their community since they don't generate money, but I suspect that this may be based on justice, or the lack of justice, to account for those who do contribute to society by generating money.
    The bottom line it that I contribute, and I would happily sacrifice a few extra eight hour working days for the "common good", just so there would be a way to force people who have never contributed a thing in their entire lives to contribute some small token.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MirandaPanda)
    What does one person's opinion have to do with an entire country of over 300m people? Ignoranceeeeeeeeeee, **** yeah!
    Not my point at all, just making a comment of OP's location and linking it with a Team America quote. But well done getting in a hissy fit, you look real big right now.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like it, especially the part about it being related to voting.

Can imagine though as people have said the sheer logistics would be to costly and time consuming for government agencies to enforce.
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aramiss18)
    It's a nice idea but would be a ball-ache to implement. Tbh I don't like ball-ache.
    lol. this!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good luck enforcing that.

Cause unless you want courts overflowing most people will just skip it go to work instead and pay the small fine attached to it.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Go for it...but do you really think chavs will actually work?

They will probably distract all those that are working and cause havoc.

Separate the wheat from the "chav" :lol:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How many jobs will be lost because of this?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Not my point at all, just making a comment of OP's location and linking it with a Team America quote.
    That's awfully smart/logical; oh right, its not :rolleyes:

But well done getting in a hissy fit, you look real big right now.
    Well done making a completely useless comment in an otherwise serious thread; you look real big right now.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.