Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Toshiba L775 good enough for an architecture student help please?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Want to buy a laptop and found the: Toshiba L775 17.3 Inch Intel i3 2.2Ghz 500GB Laptop for £430 with 2 yrs warranty. Was going to buy this but on reviews it seems to be that the Intel HD Graphics 3000 card is not good enough for architecture students who will be using design software.

Does anyone have any advice or can recommend a better laptop under the £550 price range with good graphics?? Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an XPS 15 with an i5 which handles 3ds Max relatively well, but the more power the better. Do you know what software you'll be using exactly?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidbain)
    I have an XPS 15 with an i5 which handles 3ds Max relatively well, but the more power the better. Do you know what software you'll be using exactly?
    autocad, photoshop, 3ds max, revit
    found anoher one which i think is better: http://www.johnlewis.com/231497000/P...x#BVRRWidgetID
    what do you think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 197naa)
    autocad, photoshop, 3ds max, revit
    found anoher one which i think is better: http://www.johnlewis.com/231497000/P...x#BVRRWidgetID
    what do you think?
    That's quite impressive for the price! It looks like it'll run the software just fine, but obviously the more power for those type of programs the better, especially Autodesk software. As my lecturer said to me it's best to consider a desktop computer for this type of software, but this is not practical in most circumstances.

Have a look at this - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112
    It'll tell you what will run on which computer.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's quite impressive for the price! It looks like it'll run the software just fine, but obviously the more power for those type of programs the better, especially Autodesk software. As my lecturer said to me it's best to consider a desktop computer for this type of software, but this is not practical in most circumstances.

Have a look at this - http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112
    It'll tell you what will run on which computer.
    Is that the Toshiba or HP youre talking about?

The problem is that the HP is a gaming laptop which I wont be using it for, just want a good graphics card, would that be ok?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is that the Toshiba or HP youre talking about?

The problem is that the HP is a gaming laptop which I wont be using it for, just want a good graphics card, would that be ok?
    Sorry it was the HP I'm on about. It'll certainly run the software fine but I would recommend looking around for laptops with a 2nd Gen Intel i5 or above with 4gb ram or above. If they are too far out of your price range then the HP is ideal.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry it was the HP I'm on about. It'll certainly run the software fine but I would recommend looking around for laptops with a 2nd Gen Intel i5 or above with 4gb ram or above. If they are too far out of your price range then the HP is ideal.
    ok why is the AMD A6 not good? what does it compare to with intel, the i3?
    also is the processor good enough at 1.7 ?? Thankyou
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ok why is the AMD A6 not good? what does it compare to with intel, the i3?
    also is the processor good enough at 1.7 ?? Thankyou
    No no the A6 is far better than the i3, especially for graphics and just in overall performance of the i3. 1.7GHz will be fine for what you want to do.

If you do what I do and spend a week on looking through hundreds of reviews and laptops you'll most likely find an ideal candidate, but if not then the HP is a great choice in my mind. HP build quality and support are good, as are Dell.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    No no the A6 is far better than the i3, especially for graphics and just in overall performance of the i3. 1.7GHz will be fine for what you want to do.

If you do what I do and spend a week on looking through hundreds of reviews and laptops you'll most likely find an ideal candidate, but if not then the HP is a great choice in my mind. HP build quality and support are good, as are Dell.
    Alright cheers for the advice, Ill most likely go for the HP as its 500 with 2 years guarantee aswell

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Talk about SQA results day

Join the chat ahead of grades coming out on Tuesday

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.