The Student Room Group

Baillie Gifford 2012 Summer Internship

Has anyone who has applied for the Baillie Gifford 2012 Summer Internship, received an invitation to an interview or a rejection?

Scroll to see replies

haven't heard anything back yet
Reply 2
I emailed them in the end of March and they told me that they were still considering all applications. Haven't heard anything afterwards.
Reply 3
Posted rejection letter today, headed by name and signed. Seems like a standard rejection letter though.

any of you got one?
Reply 4
Original post by noremedy
Posted rejection letter today, headed by name and signed. Seems like a standard rejection letter though.

any of you got one?

Posted? I thought they would rather email you...
Reply 5
I assumed so as well, unless it was a genuine sincere rejection, it was the most gentle letter I've received.

"considerable regret" "very serious consideration" "welcome application for 2013" etc, what I assume is standard *******s, but maybe it wasn't?

Original post by lilys
Posted? I thought they would rather email you...
Reply 6
I assumed so as well, unless it was a genuine sincere rejection, it was the most gentle letter I've received.

"considerable regret" "very serious consideration" "welcome application for 2013" etc, what I assume is standard *******s, but maybe it wasn't?

Yes, that is standard rejection. No, they don't e-mail you, they are old school.
Reply 7
has anyone else had a letter?
Reply 8

Original post by flash8216
has anyone else had a letter?

I've just received mine but it contained no 'welcome application for 2013' so maybe this meant you were better? I know they are super competitive but I REALLY wanted to work there. And, to be honest, I don't know what exactly they expected from the applicants (unless all my competitors did an AM internship last summer).
Reply 9
pretty sure i'll get mine in the post tomorrow :P
Reply 10
Original post by lilys
I've just received mine but it contained no 'welcome application for 2013' so maybe this meant you were better? I know they are super competitive but I REALLY wanted to work there. And, to be honest, I don't know what exactly they expected from the applicants (unless all my competitors did an AM internship last summer).

Other people REALLY wanted to work there too, it is extremely popular. What is your background? I know people who work there and who used to work there and in order of decreasing importance, they like people from Oxbridge, they like "international" people, and they like women. Academic achievement and overall success is important and quite frankly, it isn't hard to get these people.

Overall, I wouldn't stress, it isn't the end of the world and there are lots of other opportunities out there. Baillie Gifford isn't really known for particularly amazing analysis/track record although does have a good reputation. In fact, BG is probably more famous for the people who got sick of the culture and left to go onto great success.
Reply 11
Original post by crcr
Other people REALLY wanted to work there too, it is extremely popular. What is your background? I know people who work there and who used to work there and in order of decreasing importance, they like people from Oxbridge, they like "international" people, and they like women. Academic achievement and overall success is important and quite frankly, it isn't hard to get these people.

Overall, I wouldn't stress, it isn't the end of the world and there are lots of other opportunities out there. Baillie Gifford isn't really known for particularly amazing analysis/track record although does have a good reputation. In fact, BG is probably more famous for the people who got sick of the culture and left to go onto great success.

I'm an EU student from UCL; now that I think about it, it might have been because of my first year results that I got rejected... They weren't as impressive as a 1st from Oxbridge, I guess :smile: Thanks for the support, I'll def keep on looking at other options.
Reply 12
Original post by lilys
I'm an EU student from UCL; now that I think about it, it might have been because of my first year results that I got rejected... They weren't as impressive as a 1st from Oxbridge, I guess :smile: Thanks for the support, I'll def keep on looking at other options.

If you had an interview then employers are normally satisfied with what you put on the application for so it would have been your performance in the interview and other stages rather than your degree and previous experience that was on your application.
Reply 13
Original post by lilys

I don't think it would have been your first year results, more likely is your extra-curriculars/work exp. were not strong enough, relative to other candidates. Cover letter is also a very big deal at BG. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 14
FYI I'm 1st honors from Manc with county/national ec's along with a myriad of other crap - it's just competitive.
Reply 15
has anyone had any positive news from them?
Reply 16
Original post by Tateco
If you had an interview then employers are normally satisfied with what you put on the application for so it would have been your performance in the interview and other stages rather than your degree and previous experience that was on your application.

I doubt that we can generalize it like that.
Reply 17
anyone else still not heard? funny feeling my rejection is lost in the post
Reply 18
I haven't heard back from them yet..
Reply 19
Original post by alivanova
I haven't heard back from them yet..

how long are you going to wait before contacting them?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending