Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Trig C3

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    This has to be my most hated part of a-level maths I've come across. The questions where it asks you to show that one equation is the same as the other equation, it just seems like a load of guesswork to get it to match. I have an example here:

1-cos2x/1+cos2x = sec^2x-1

I wouldn't know where to start unless I look at the solution bank for a hint.

It seems I have to use the fact that cos2x is 1-2sin^2x and 2cos^2x-1 but how are you supposed to know which ones to use?
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is easiest to make the denominator as simple as possible as you can then split up the fraction more easily.

Therefore you should use the second option.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    the RHS looks familiar... it based on tan2 + 1 = sec2
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    It is easiest to make the denominator as simple as possible as you can then split up the fraction more easily.

Therefore you should use the second option.
    you don't have to use the same option if Cos2x appears in different places...
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    the rhs looks familiar... It based on tan2 + 1 = sec2
    ^^^^^^^

this
    • 99 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crowbar)
    This has to be my most hated part of a-level maths I've come across. The questions where it asks you to show that one equation is the same as the other equation, it just seems like a load of guesswork to get it to match. I have an example here:

It seems I have to use the fact that cos2x is 1-2sin^2x and 2cos^2x-1 but how are you supposed to know which ones to use?
    What are you asking?

Is it: (1-cos2x)/(1+cos2x) = sec^2x-1

or

1-(cos2x)/(1+cos2x) = sec^2x-1
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you don't have to use the same option if Cos2x appears in different places...
    Of course, although using the second option is my suggestion purely for the denominator - I may not have made that clear in my previous post. :yy:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

Edit: you already worked that out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering how do you approach questions like this one? Do you have to think of backwards steps from the simplest side or something?

Nayom1 I had to use the solutions bank because I didn't know what to do first.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering how do you approach questions like this one? Do you have to think of backwards steps from the simplest side or something?
    There are various methods, in order I use

1. Hope something obvious jumps out
    2. Change everything on the LHS to sin(x) and cos(x) and look for opportunities to cancel
    3. Mess about with the RHS a bit to see if it looks nicer

ALWAYS looking at the answer for clues
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, all I know is there's got to be an easier way than I did it

But it worked... Difference of 2 squares method?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

well i would put that  sec^2x = \frac{1}{cos^2x}

so lets use the  cos2x=2cos^2x-1 identity (as we want to turn the LHS into  cos^2x's because thats whats on the RHS)

LHS  = \frac{1-(2cos^2x-1)}{1+(2cos^2x-1)}

= \frac{2-2cos^2x}{2cos^2x}

= \frac{2}{2cos^2x} - \frac{2cos^2x}{2cos^2x} = \frac{1}{cos^2x} - 1 = sec^2x - 1 as required

Its not fool proof, but the fact is all the identities will get you there just by different routes generally just try to compare the two sides of the equation, see what you might want to change using identities and then give it a go. Just try chucking something at it and see what happens if your not sure -- personally i like to change secs and cosecs and cots etc into their cos/sin/tan counterparts, because im happier using the identities to convert between them, but thats a personal preference.

For example instead you might spot that  sec^2x - 1 = tan^2x

so you want to turn the LHS into  tan^2x

Now you know you can turn  cos2x into sin^2x's or cos^2x's, so as tan^2x=\frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} try turning the cos2x on the numerator into sin, and the cos2x on the denominator into cos

LHS =  \frac{1-(1-sin^2x)}{1+(cos^2x+1)}

= \frac{sin^2x}{cos^2x} = tan^2x = sec^2x-1 as required
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    My approach here (if I did not see anything obvious and was wanting to just start something) would be

\frac{1-cos2x}{1+cos2x} = \frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{1+cos^2x-sin^2x}

hmmmm ... the RHS has sec so I will try to get cos in the denominator

\frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{1+cos^2x-sin^2x} = \frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{1+cos^2x-(1-cos^2x)} = \frac{1-cos^2x+sin^2x}{2cos^2x}

hmmmmm ... what happens if I split up the fraction ... will that help

\frac{1}{2cos^2x} - \frac{cos^2x}{2cos^2x} + \frac{sin^2x}{2cos^2x} = \frac{1}{2}sec^2x - \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{2}tan^2x

hmmmmmm what if I take out the 1/2 and ... hang on I can use tan^2 = sec^2 -1

\frac{1}{2}[sec^2x - 1 + (sec^2x -1)] = \frac{1}{2}[2sec^2x - 2] = sec^2x - 1

This is, in no way the quickest method but it uses the general principle of changing to sin and cos and looking to the RHS for clues

HTH

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.