Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Best Mobile Network

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
  • View Poll Results: Best Mobile Network
    O2
    34.85%
    Vodafone
    24.24%
    13.64%
    T-mobile
    12.12%
    Orange
    15.15%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whats the best mobile network and how much internet data do you typically use? I'm thinking of going for 3 or T-mobile because its cheap to get unlimited internet but I don't know if they're really rubbish for signal/3g?

I don't know if 1gb is enough and don't want to get slapped with extra charges for going over the limit. Help please!

N.B- I'm still using a 2005 pay-as-you-go flip phone. This will be my first smartphone (I'm 99% sure it'll be an iphone).
    • 50 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peasandqueues)
    Whats the best mobile network and how much internet data do you typically use? I'm thinking of going for 3 or T-mobile because its cheap to get unlimited internet but I don't know if they're really rubbish for signal/3g?

I don't know if 1gb is enough and don't want to get slapped with extra charges for going over the limit. Help please!

N.B- I'm still using a 2005 pay-as-you-go flip phone. This will be my first smartphone (I'm 99% sure it'll be an iphone).
    1GB is more than the vast majority of people will need. 500MB is the sweet spot really as long as you keep streaming and downloads to wifi.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Either orange or O2 I'd say.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I've been with all of them except 3... and I'd definitely say Orange is the best. O2 is good for signal, but they rip you off. They sent debt collectors after me coz I couldn't pay my £300 bill and now I can't get an overdraft Orange are good and have good cheap monthly packages. Also they let you pause your contract, say if you are going abroad for a few months and don't want it. You can also upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract whereas with O2 it's only a month (I think). Also their customer services are fantastic. Vodafone are very average priced. I mystery shop for them so I am always hearing the best offers etc. and it's nothing special. Personally I wouldn't go with them again. Also the Vodafone signal in my area is horrific.

Personally I just bought a new handset (HTC One X) and when my contact runs out I'm going with GiffGaff.
    OP - 1gb is loads, you will probably not need that much. I have 500mb at the moment and never go over it. Also as far as I know, you will not get charged for going over your data allowance. At least with O2 and Orange, and I'm sure the other networks are the same. The guy in the Orange shop told me if you ever go over it, they don't cut you off, but you'll notice a drop in connection speed. That's it though - you won't be charged extra.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LinzyLoo)
    I've been with all of them except 3... and I'd definitely say Orange is the best. O2 is good for signal, but they rip you off. They sent debt collectors after me coz I couldn't pay my £300 bill and now I can't get an overdraft Orange are good and have good cheap monthly packages. Also they let you pause your contract, say if you are going abroad for a few months and don't want it. You can also upgrade 3 months before the end of your contract whereas with O2 it's only a month (I think). Also their customer services are fantastic. Vodafone are very average priced. I mystery shop for them so I am always hearing the best offers etc. and it's nothing special. Personally I wouldn't go with them again. Also the Vodafone signal in my area is horrific.

Personally I just bought a new handset (HTC One X) and when my contact runs out I'm going with GiffGaff.
    I've heard they're good, when my contract runs out, I'm also going to switch to them
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    02, for me
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I use Giffgaff!
    They run on the O2 network so the signal's always as good as O2.
    I bought an iPhone so I'm on a PAYG contract. I top up £10 every month and get unlimited texts, unlimited internet and 250 minutes.
    That's all I ever need.
    & for starting up with them when I did, I got a free fiver of credit the first month. I still have £2.59 or whatever of that very first fiver, about 7 months later. I can't fault them (:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzznbass)
    I've heard they're good, when my contract runs out, I'm also going to switch to them
    Yeah that's what I heard. It's cheaper in the long run and as it's owned and run by O2 so you will get really good signal. It's only £10/month for unlimited texts, unlimited internet and 250 mins - that's plenty for me because I never phone people. Or if you want more minutes you can get unlimited texts and internet and 400 mins for £15/month, or 800 mins for £20. Definitely the best value network out there.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay I've got an iPhone and I'm constantly downloading and trying new apps, mostly this is done when I'm not at home, so don't use wifi but use my Internet from the contract.
    If you know you'll definitely only download when you're at home then you might aswell get 500mb, but in all honestly 1GB is easily used up of you download using your phones Internet.

I'm on 3, and the Internet is 'eat as much as you like' so no problems there, and the coverage is the best. I also found that it was the quickest to deliver my iPhone as it took Vodafone three weeks to tell me that there was something wrong! So I switched to three and it was at my house the next afternoon!

Also three have an excellent iPhone 4S deal, 5000 texts 5000 mins and unlimited Internet... All for 35 pounds!
    It's the one I'm on, and honestly no complaints
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I could have afforded a phone outright I would have deffinitely used giffgaff, I hate orange because I called them 4+ times over 2 months and couldn't get my old number back. Currently on t-mobile who recently partnered with orange, and I was like :facepalm: when that happend...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Trying not to advertise but I'm a GiffGaff-er and I have lotsa SIMs I can hand out if you PM me. You get £5 when you top up the required £10 activation fee (so do I, just so I'm being transparent). You can do this for other people too, and receive the £5 referral bonus. Being the good samaritan I am, I request half my cashback goes to my PayPal account and the other half to Charity .

If you have an iPhone or other similar micro-sim phone, I will gladly cut the sim down to size before I send it out to you, free of charge

More related to the matter, I find the 3g coverage in my area to be brilliant on all networks, but GiffGaff's value just surpasses them all. They made it easy to swap numbers and have an amazing support community that makes up for the lack of call centres. Then again, I found my old Vodafone PAYG to be perfect in that regard, too.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Tesco for me. Anyone else?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eemooz)
    Also three have an excellent iPhone 4S deal, 5000 texts 5000 mins and unlimited Internet... All for 35 pounds!
    It's the one I'm on, and honestly no complaints
    How much was the phone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are three mobile? I am thinking of getting my next contract with them..
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcesciee)
    I use Giffgaff!
    I bought an iPhone so I'm on a PAYG contract. I top up £10 every month and get unlimited texts, unlimited internet and 250 minutes.
    That's all I ever need.
    & for starting up with them when I did, I got a free fiver of credit the first month. I still have £2.59 or whatever of that very first fiver, about 7 months later. I can't fault them (:

I heard that with Giffgaff you can't use tethering. Tethering is basically just using home wifi on your phone, right? Is this even an issue if the data usage is unlimited?! I don't understand why I've heard complaints regarding this...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I heard that with Giffgaff you can't use tethering. Tethering is basically just using home wifi on your phone, right? Is this even an issue if the data usage is unlimited?! I don't understand why I've heard complaints regarding this...
    I've set my phone to recognise when I'm within my home wifi, and other public wifis with a password. (: So it'll use my home wifi whilst it picks it, up, and returns to the giffgaff usage when it isn't in a recognised wifi area.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdamskiUK)
    Trying not to advertise but I'm a GiffGaff-er and I have lotsa SIMs I can hand out if you PM me. You get £5 when you top up the required £10 activation fee (so do I, just so I'm being transparent). You can do this for other people too, and receive the £5 referral bonus. Being the good samaritan I am, I request half my cashback goes to my PayPal account and the other half to Charity .

If you have an iPhone or other similar micro-sim phone, I will gladly cut the sim down to size before I send it out to you, free of charge

More related to the matter, I find the 3g coverage in my area to be brilliant on all networks, but GiffGaff's value just surpasses them all. They made it easy to swap numbers and have an amazing support community that makes up for the lack of call centres. Then again, I found my old Vodafone PAYG to be perfect in that regard, too.
    Problem is, I don't think I can afford to buy a brand-new iPhone outright. However I'm considering getting a sim anyways for my current phone as I'm spending about £40-50 per month just on weekly top-ups - getting absoloutely NO extras. Texts cost me 12p a page (so longer texts are excruciatingly pricey) and 1000 minutes would cost me £240 on my standard tarriff.

Awful, isn't it?
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Giffgaff is really good...

I only pay £8 a month and with that I get the Blackberry add-on (bbm, email, unlimited bb internet), 60 UK minutes, 300 UK texts, Free extra minutes when someone calls me.

And if that 60 min runs out (still have 55 mins - 12 days remaining) then I only have to pay 10p for each min!

BARGAIN!

Here are the various packages: https://giffgaff.com/buy

Oh, and a tip to Blackberry users:

With the blackberry add on you get free blackberry internet which lets you use Blackberry's own services such as Blackberry Protect etc,
    but there's a loop hole - you can download a browser from AppWorld (such as Opera) and use that to get UNLIMITED INTERNET!.

• 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcesciee)
    I use Giffgaff!
    That's all I ever need.
    I did exactly the same. There's no beating GiffGaff

Believe it or not I even made a profit in my first 6 months of Giffgaff by posting on their forums and helping out of users which giffgaff pay you for! (made £70 in 6 months, where as only spent £60 )
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    No, tethering is when you use your phone AS a wifi "hub" so you can, for example, connect your laptop to the internet via your phone's 3G signal, which I suppose is useful if you aren't in a wifi zone and have to use your laptop, but I can't say I've ever really needed to do that. You could just use your phone in 99% of cases anyway. I have used it though once, on Orange, when my uni wifi blocked MiniClip and I really wanted to play a game, so I connected via my phone's network instead. It uses your data and drains your battery really fast though.

On GiffGaff you can obviously still connect to wifi as normal, plus you have unlimited data as you said.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.