The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RDavies93
Well, I think it would be better to give us the right information first time. I mean, I don't feel I was any "smarter" so to speak, when I started AS, as opposed to GCSE's, and I think, if we hadn't had to forget and re-learn certain aspects of chem and bio, then it would have made the jump between the two, less of a jump. I don't know, lots of people think not but that's just how I feel :colondollar:

Pah I would have preferred it right the first time too, but GCSEs have to cater for an enormous range of students. Nothing they can do really.
Reply 61
Original post by Nice Marmite
Pah I would have preferred it right the first time too, but GCSEs have to cater for an enormous range of students. Nothing they can do really.

See, I don't think so, what is the "setting" system for? And Higher tier/foundation tier?

School annoys me, I will be honest...
See, I don't think so, what is the "setting" system for? And Higher tier/foundation tier?

School annoys me, I will be honest...

Okay well I've never even heard of setting. And yeah you are right about foundation and higher. Nothing at GCSE goes into any really depth. It just seems to be having an awareness of what's going on and some decent analytical skills that they test.
Reply 63
Okay well I've never even heard of setting. And yeah you are right about foundation and higher. Nothing at GCSE goes into any really depth. It just seems to be having an awareness of what's going on and some decent analytical skills that they test.

Did you not have that? We were set based on our "abilities" :colonhash: Set one and two did higher (but set two went through it at a slower pace supposedly :s-smilie: and then the sets continued downwards.

It's a rubbish system that consists of pigeon holing people, telling them they Will get a D, and then the school applauding themself when the students "exceed expectations" When the students get Cs.
Reply 64
Went to the gym... Should have gone for a run on the beach really but I promised my friend I'd meet her :redface:

How about you?

Sounds better than mine, I'm stuck on my desk forcing myself to do work. Pretty boring. How was that 'date' with the guy you liked in the theme park? Was it you? Am I accurate with this lol!

Just got out of the house and did some exercise, am feeling better. What about you?

You're exercising too? What is this lol! Yeah I'm just lazing at home, working at my desk. Although I use the term work loosely. The weather is pretty sporadic here in London too.. It just rained and thundered for 2 minutes and the suns out again
Did you not have that? We were set based on our "abilities" :colonhash: Set one and two did higher (but set two went through it at a slower pace supposedly :s-smilie: and then the sets continued downwards.

It's a rubbish system that consists of pigeon holing people, telling them they Will get a D, and then the school applauding themself when the students "exceed expectations" When the students get Cs.

I know what you're talking about, it's so awful. The whole education system is going down the toilet. It's so discouraging to students as a whole and it quite distinct in how it differentiates students, not good.
Original post by rickjames
Sounds better than mine, I'm stuck on my desk forcing myself to do work. Pretty boring. How was that 'date' with the guy you liked in the theme park? Was it you? Am I accurate with this lol!

You're exercising too? What is this lol! Yeah I'm just lazing at home, working at my desk. Although I use the term work loosely. The weather is pretty sporadic here in London too.. It just rained and thundered for 2 minutes and the suns out again

I enjoyed watching the rain :h:
Reply 67

Ah sucks. I'm a little terrified of having to go back to revision and such in September, but oh well. Won't think about it now! Yes it was me :P Went well, it was fun :smile: Gonna do something again this week :smile:

You couldn allow yourself an hour to go out and enjoy the weather? :h:
Reply 68
Original post by LifeIsGood
I know what you're talking about, it's so awful. The whole education system is going down the toilet. It's so discouraging to students as a whole and it quite distinct in how it differentiates students, not good.

I had a teacher tell me, in front of my A level class that my younger brother was "not that intelligent" and would "get a D at the most if she put him in for higher tier"

I was So angry. I told her he Had to go in for higher tier. She said we'd regret the choice. I tutored him on top of doing my A level work and he got a B.. One mark off an A (which I know is still a B but I was SO proud)
Reply 69

Rain? It's blazing sunshine here!!!
Reply 70
I had a teacher tell me, in front of my A level class that my younger brother was "not that intelligent" and would "get a D at the most if she put him in for higher tier"

I was So angry. I told her he Had to go in for higher tier. She said we'd regret the choice. I tutored him on top of doing my A level work and he got a B.. One mark off an A (which I know is still a B but I was SO proud)

It was reverse psychology to get you tutor him so he will get a higher mark. :colone:

That's excellent. I had a teacher who told me I'd get a C if I was lucky in front of everyone at GCSE. I'd had run ins with her in the past actually and I don't mind voicing my opinions especially if someone is being pretentious, incompetent and leading people down the wrong alleys. In the end I got near full marks. She was just a bit of an idiot.
Reply 72
Original post by Mr Smurf
It was reverse psychology to get you tutor him so he will get a higher mark. :colone:

I was Very angry. I told her she was an idiot and walked out. I was pretty much a goody two shoes in her class up til then so this was a big deal for me :tongue:
Reply 73

You're from London too?

Ah sucks. I'm a little terrified of having to go back to revision and such in September, but oh well. Won't think about it now! Yes it was me :P Went well, it was fun :smile: Gonna do something again this week :smile:

You couldn allow yourself an hour to go out and enjoy the weather? :h:

I'd love to but there isn't anything to do where I live lol. Its very residential, I'd go to the library to work but its probably packed with A level students at this time. Glad it went well for you
Reply 74
I was Very angry. I told her she was an idiot and walked out. I was pretty much a goody two shoes in her class up til then so this was a big deal for me :tongue:

You are a good sister. But what did your teacher think of you after that?
Reply 75
That's excellent. I had a teacher who told me I'd get a C if I was lucky in front of everyone at GCSE. I'd had run ins with her in the past actually and I don't mind voicing my opinions especially if someone is being pretentious, incompetent and leading people down the wrong alleys. In the end I got near full marks. She was just a bit of an idiot.

Good for you!!! I hate teachers who put you down, and then say they have good reasoning behind it. But I think sometimes, it's the push people need.
Reply 76
You're from London too?

I'd love to but there isn't anything to do where I live lol. Its very residential, I'd go to the library to work but its probably packed with A level students at this time. Glad it went well for you

Ah, I'm lucky where I live. Hmm yeah, nothing worse than trying to revise when it's packed. So distracting!! Thankyou :h:

Original post by Mr Smurf
You are a good sister. But what did your teacher think of you after that?

Didn't matter really cause I went into school for lessons like 10 times after that I think. And only then to do my investigation, which she was Less than helpful with, and very cold with me.
Reply 77
Good for you!!! I hate teachers who put you down, and then say they have good reasoning behind it. But I think sometimes, it's the push people need.

I hate when art teachers say that your work is good when even you know its crap. :mad:
Reply 78
I resat my first year of AS, what subjects do you do?

Uh, I did History; Psychology and Sociology :h: - Yay for essay writing subjects :woo:

You? :smile:
Reply 79
Revision is nearly done for today :biggrin: Just need evaluation for Zimbardo which is why I'm on the pc :holmes: