The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nice Marmite
Because not prosecuting criminals is more damaging on the whole than prosecuting them, surely. Someone has to do it and there will always be risks. Rather than shy away from the challenge we should be asking "are we limiting the risks to lawyers and their families?"

That is admirable, then. Well, in a way. Hmm. Actually, I'm not sure if I find it admirable at all.

Yes, someone has to do it. Perhaps those people should be the cold machines amongst us (there are quite a few) who wouldn't really be in touch with family and friends?
Original post by Ethereal
I'm not sure which bit is confusing you? I don't think you're attacking, I'm just not sure I understand what you don't understand.

That you could put a job that carries risk not only for yourself but loved ones ahead of said loved ones. People put jobs ahead of others all the time, but in most cases the danger is restricted to emotions. Not a profound effect on loved one's lives if **** hit the fan.
Original post by theonlywayistsr
That is admirable, then. Well, in a way. Hmm. Actually, I'm not sure if I find it admirable at all.

Yes, someone has to do it. Perhaps those people should be the cold machines amongst us (there are quite a few) who wouldn't really be in touch with family and friends?

I am quite cold, it's how the stuff I've seen hasn't turned me in to a jibbering wreck - I can deal with it dispassionately and objectively and not let it infect me too much. The practical stuff has infected me though such as the multiple routes home etc.

It's virtually impossiible to find people who have no cntact with family and friends, so that would make it virtually impossible to get anyone to do these necessary jobs.
I am quite cold, it's how the stuff I've seen hasn't turned me in to a jibbering wreck - I can deal with it dispassionately and objectively and not let it infect me too much. The practical stuff has infected me though such as the multiple routes home etc.

It's virtually impossiible to find people who have no cntact with family and friends, so that would make it virtually impossible to get anyone to do these necessary jobs.

A ghosty :biggrin:

So why do you have to do it? How can these 'loved' ones be such in this situation? That is what I don't understand.
Reply 1505
Original post by Stray_talk

Ghosts can't type :tongue:
That you could put a job that carries risk not only for yourself but loved ones ahead of said loved ones. People put jobs ahead of others all the time, but in most cases the danger is restricted to emotions. Not a profound effect on loved one's lives if **** hit the fan.

Vocation? In some ways it's because I balance the risk involved and I think putting a few people at risk to reduce the risk to society is a price worth paying.

If people didn't come to that conclusion no-one would do the jobs. Neither my family nor my friends know what I've done, seen, dealt with, come up against etc. they just know who I work for - that somewhat reduces their risk, but there is always the chance someone I've pissed off goes after them instead of me because they can't get to me.

*shrug* That's just how the world really works unfortunately.

We've kind of side-tracked off my original point though, which is that there are a number of lawyers outside the forces legal serices for whom being a lawyer is more than just a job so the person considering the forces doesn't realy need to attach as much weight to that as drew suggested.
So why do you have to do it?

Someone has to do it *shrug*
Original post by Stray_talk

:biggrin:

Original post by Fizie
Ghosts can't type :tongue:

:upyours: :p:

:frown:
Reply 1510
:biggrin:

:upyours: :p:

:eek: Ok, so this one can it seems! I take it back, a thousand apologies :tongue:
Reply 1511

Do you enjoy it? Well, bar the horrors you experience/see.
Original post by Fizie
Do you enjoy it? Well, bar the horrors you experience/see.

Yeah I did. I enjoy my current posting in an advisory team much less. Litigating against bad people gives you a real feeling that you are protecting people who are (lucky enough to be) able to largely not know that sort of world exists.
Original post by Fizie
Feeling good thanks :biggrin: Just been for a lovely long run. Really stretched my legs. How's Mr Marmite today?

Good good :smile: I'm okay, just taking a short lunch break from working (I'm really snowed under with coursework that I've left too late because I'm a fool).
It appears Ethereal is actually Harvey Dent.

Spoiler

Original post by Drewski
It appears Ethereal is actually Harvey Dent.

*groan* :p:
Original post by Nice Marmite
Good good :smile: I'm okay, just taking a short lunch break from working (I'm really snowed under with coursework that I've left too late because I'm a fool).

I haven't started mine... I have been dancing and I need done by tomorrow as I am going out with friends :h:
Original post by morris743
If there's one thing I can't stand, it's hypocrites.

And for the record, I'm not the best but certainly better than an awful lot of people on TSR :smile: Which isn't that hard, I suppose.

Whereas some people will continue to talk the talk, I'll be walking the walk. I'm afraid the normal kind of life genuinely bores me. I'm not just saying it for others approval.

Btw, my ego was never serious. It was so unserious I think it says a lot about those who took it as such.

Bye. Forever.

You'll be missed.

Oh no, wait. Wrong word...

Forgotten. That's the one.
Original post by Drewski
You'll be missed.

Forgotten. That's the one.

:rofl:
Original post by Drewski
You'll be missed.