Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

What nationality am I?

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arnoob)
    I am starting to loose faith in our generation
    Me too :closedeyes: !!! Anyway its K :console: ... we will always learn from our mistakes ( hopefully )!!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    erm..

African
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0range)
    I'm filling in a new employee form for a summer job I got, on the form it's asking me for my nationality. I always thought my nationality would be Indian because I'm indian and my parents are from India.

I was actually born here and while checking my passport it says that my nationality is "BRITISH CITIZEN"

Which one should I put down from IND or GBR?

Thanks in advance guys
    How can you be Indian if you were not born in India, and supposing your parents did not specifically elect for Indian cirtizenship for you?

Surely, if you were Indian you would only be eligible to do that summer job if it payed more than GBP 20k pro rata and if it was a vacancy deemed to be for 'highly-skilled persons'?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're British. If you have an Indian passport too, then you've got dual citizenship. But you're still British either way so I'd put that.
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm filling in a new employee form for a summer job I got, on the form it's asking me for my nationality. I always thought my nationality would be Indian because I'm indian and my parents are from India.

I was actually born here and while checking my passport it says that my nationality is "BRITISH CITIZEN"

Thanks in advance guys
    GBR it's kind of obvious, your nationality is the passport you hold.
    E.g. I'm British by nationality , but Bengali by ethnicity.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your nationality is always what your passport is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    paperwork -- british
    in your blood -- indian
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Confusing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, but wouldn't you think that most people would figure that out by their early teens, if not earlier...
    It's really common actually, I didn't figure it out until I was filling out forms for sixthforms and my friends were the same. It isn't something I'd ever had come across or had to deal with even though I new I was a British citizen and had a passport, I just thought nationality = ethnicity. I know it sounds stupid that I never made the connection lol
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, but wouldn't you think that most people would figure that out by their early teens, if not earlier...
    I remember when I was in sixth form and we were doing UCAS some girls put down Pakistani/Indian instead on British and people screaming at them . It is quite common and people get nationalilty and ethnicity confused. If you have dual nationaliity you could put either one down I guess but I just stick to British.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    I remember when I was in sixth form and we were doing UCAS some girls put down Pakistani/Indian instead on British and people screaming at them . It is quite common and people get nationalilty and ethnicity confused. If you have dual nationaliity you could put either one down I guess but I just stick to British.
    (Original post by style)
    It's really common actually, I didn't figure it out until I was filling out forms for sixthforms and my friends were the same. It isn't something I'd ever had come across or had to deal with even though I new I was a British citizen and had a passport, I just thought nationality = ethnicity. I know it sounds stupid that I never made the connection lol
    Do you think the reason for this confusion is actually due to confusion in identity. I mean is it because people with different backgrounds fail to identify themselves as being british and want to accept their ethnic culture rather than accepting their nationality? Personally I come from an immigrant background too but I fully accept my nationality as well as my ethnicity and accept belonging to both.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    How on earth would Americans manage?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Thanks in advance guys

EDIT: Guys I realized I'm an idiot xD but got my answer so thanks everyone!
    From what you've said, you're nationality is "British", but of Indian extraction. Some call it being a British Indian or British-born Indian, etc, etc, however if you're parents are both Indian, you probably also qualify for an Indian passport (if you don't already have one, thereby giving you dual-nationality.

For the purposes of your employment, I would put down that you are British, because you can run into problems, if they ask you for a copy of your Indian passport, which presumably you don't have. I am black of African descent, my mother is of dual Nigerian and British citizenship and my father is of dual Nigerian and Italian citizenship. I was born here, and have a British passport, therefore I am British and not Nigerian or Italian. It's best not to complicate things unless you know what you're doing, because it might cause problems with stuff like job applications.

Good Luck though.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the reason for this confusion is actually due to confusion in identity. I mean is it because people with different backgrounds fail to identify themselves as being british and want to accept their ethnic culture rather than accepting their nationality? Personally I come from an immigrant background too but I fully accept my nationality as well as my ethnicity and accept belonging to both.
    Surely they can't be that ignorant?

I very much doubt that an American citizen would reallly believe that he/she was say, Irish, or Spanish based on descent?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.