The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Philosophy of Religion & Ethics June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Hi,

I'm sitting this exam and I'm so scared! :eek:

Can anyone help me on religious language... if the question says, for example, "Discuss the contribution of two types of religious language" what exactly does it mean by contribution? Does it just mean to describe the type of language?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but any help would be really appreciated!
Reply 101
Original post by Teddiursa
Hi,

I'm sitting this exam and I'm so scared! :eek:

Can anyone help me on religious language... if the question says, for example, "Discuss the contribution of two types of religious language" what exactly does it mean by contribution? Does it just mean to describe the type of language?

Sorry if that's a stupid question, but any help would be really appreciated!

I think to an extent it doesn't matter - just talk relevantly about the topic in question. With 'contribution' in particular, it could be an idea to talk about cognitive/non-cognitive and use relate to 'use and meaning of religious language'. The latter is basically what is meant by the question, so if it asked, for example 'contribution', apply 'contribution' to 'use and meaning of religious language'.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 102
Original post by 12lightf
I think to an extent it doesn't matter - just talk relevantly about the topic in question. With 'contribution' in particular, it could be an idea to talk about cognitive/non-cognitive and use relate to 'use and meaning of religious language'. The latter is basically what is meant by the question, so if it asked, for example 'contribution', apply 'contribution' to 'use and meaning of religious language'.
Hope this helps :smile:

Yes, that does help - thank you :smile:
Just really want this exam to be over with now because I'm fed up of worrying about it :biggrin:
Reply 103
Original post by savvy100
Are you doing two philosophy questions? i know what you mean, im going to learn all 3 and then pick on the day which ethical theory question to do - most likely going to be NML or kant. Yeah when theyve mixed religion and morality in the past its been with NML which makes sense really its just a pain having to learn it on top - its the same with Atheism in philosophy section

Almost certainly will do Ethical Lang (assuming they don't throw in Objectivity, Subjectivity) and have been learning Religious Experience, RL, Atheism and some Ethical theory (little bit of NML and lots of Virtue & Deontology). I'm hedging my bets essentially - depends on questions and how I'm feeling on the day haha.
Reply 104
stuck on natural moral law - can someone please help?
we haven't been taught any scholarly weaknesses of natural moral law, i tried searching on the internet and can't find anything, can someone please help? :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by 301lw
we haven't been taught any scholarly weaknesses of natural moral law, i tried searching on the internet and can't find anything, can someone please help? :smile:

Commits the Naturalistic Fallacy - identifies 'good' with a physical concept - that which is natural - some, including GE Moore say this is a big mistake - the physical cannot match up to 'good'.

Charles Curran - NML is dualistic, distinguishes between body and soul. The idea of discovering 'good' from biology is questionable to say the least. Is/Ought Problem from Ethical Language.

Assumes God. One of the telos of humanity is 'worship God'. God is a priori assumption - remove God from the equation in the style of Darwin or Dawkins and the whole thing crumbles.

The whole idea of telos is questionable. Why do we have some intrinsic purpose? Is there any evidence? Could it have changed since the days of Aquinas?
Reply 106
Hi, I just want to check that what i'm revising will cover me for the exam (I think it does but i keep panicking that it won't!). I'm doing 2 Philosophy and 1 ethics questions in the exam.

Religious Language, Religious Experience, Critiques of Religion. (then I'm skimming over LAD just in case the questions are horrendous).
then NML, Deontology, Virtue Ethics and Objectivism, Subjectivism and Relativism.

Also ive skimmed over this thread - 'ethical language' is that objectivism, subjectivism and relativism? and 'ethical theory' thats NML, deontology and virtues ethics right? We've been taught them with different headings so ive never heard of those before.

Also, on a separate note - a past exam question i've just done was something like 'Compare and contrast 2 types of religious language (18)', I did analogy and symbol/myth/metaphor, but could I have used Language games as a type?

Sorry for all the q's!
Reply 107
Commits the Naturalistic Fallacy - identifies 'good' with a physical concept - that which is natural - some, including GE Moore say this is a big mistake - the physical cannot match up to 'good'.

Charles Curran - NML is dualistic, distinguishes between body and soul. The idea of discovering 'good' from biology is questionable to say the least. Is/Ought Problem from Ethical Language.

Assumes God. One of the telos of humanity is 'worship God'. God is a priori assumption - remove God from the equation in the style of Darwin or Dawkins and the whole thing crumbles.

The whole idea of telos is questionable. Why do we have some intrinsic purpose? Is there any evidence? Could it have changed since the days of Aquinas?

thankyou! i wanted to rate you but it says i've rated you already :smile: thanks!
Reply 108
Original post by gl71994
Hi, I just want to check that what i'm revising will cover me for the exam (I think it does but i keep panicking that it won't!). I'm doing 2 Philosophy and 1 ethics questions in the exam.

Religious Language, Religious Experience, Critiques of Religion. (then I'm skimming over LAD just in case the questions are horrendous).
then NML, Deontology, Virtue Ethics and Objectivism, Subjectivism and Relativism.

Also ive skimmed over this thread - 'ethical language' is that objectivism, subjectivism and relativism? and 'ethical theory' thats NML, deontology and virtues ethics right? We've been taught them with different headings so ive never heard of those before.

Also, on a separate note - a past exam question i've just done was something like 'Compare and contrast 2 types of religious language (18)', I did analogy and symbol/myth/metaphor, but could I have used Language games as a type?

Sorry for all the q's!

yeah what you've done is enough in my opinion :smile:
and yeah you're right about ethical theory but ethical language is stuff like intuitionism, emotivism and debates about good

and my teacher has told us that language games comes under non-cognitive, which is a type of religious language
Original post by 301lw

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:LBZr5EiErr4J:intranet.wellingtoncollege.org.uk/resource.aspx%3Fid%3D129933+natural+moral+law+notes&hl=en&gl=uk&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESh0dPbCo0G_6YD8iQvq989hU1ulJGflLqnA4SAj7cEg-oKxxrikT6wy9V9NcL0Id8zdwJtNWDKZucXaffZoUmlV_UD1dxOY8qJfFT7S3QWoWmh-bKfsAwSaYEGE8bVT5nOafmFa&sig=AHIEtbQdIWTgU7O1oi38hVNM-5fwVoElIw

This doc is very useful, hope it helps. :smile:
Reply 110
Original post by 301lw
yeah what you've done is enough in my opinion :smile:
and yeah you're right about ethical theory but ethical language is stuff like intuitionism, emotivism and debates about good

and my teacher has told us that language games comes under non-cognitive, which is a type of religious language

Ah brilliant thanks!
ok, so ethical language is only going to be in q4 with justice/law/punishment? So if I only want to do one ethics I can get away with just learning ethical theory? and possibly religion and morality maybe as its a sticky topic. I've currently revised it all (bar ontological and law/punishment) but want to cut it down for the last push before the exam so i know exactly what i'm doing.
As he said, if you only do revise one ethical theory, it's a good idea to do M&R too. If you do more than one, no need :smile:

Yeah i'm revising all three :smile:
Hey guys! I've been revising ethical theories, religious language and religious experience for the upcoming paper of thursday (eek). Am I right in thinking that the content of information that I write in the exam will always be more or less the same no matter the question? From past papers, all that seems to be asked is the main features of something and then the strengths and weakness/criticisms. The way I like to revise is learn a model answer off by heart and I just wanted some other opinions (apart from school) on whether my thinking about the exam is right. Basically, I think the question is always going to be (more or less the same) so if I learn my model answers and right these down (bearing in mind I may have to tweak it a little depending on what I get asked), I should be pretty safe. What do you reckon?
Reply 113
Original post by LeahCarmel
Hey guys! I've been revising ethical theories, religious language and religious experience for the upcoming paper of thursday (eek). Am I right in thinking that the content of information that I write in the exam will always be more or less the same no matter the question? From past papers, all that seems to be asked is the main features of something and then the strengths and weakness/criticisms. The way I like to revise is learn a model answer off by heart and I just wanted some other opinions (apart from school) on whether my thinking about the exam is right. Basically, I think the question is always going to be (more or less the same) so if I learn my model answers and right these down (bearing in mind I may have to tweak it a little depending on what I get asked), I should be pretty safe. What do you reckon?

I think you should be alright. Learning some generic facts about a question then tailoring it to the specific question is a good idea
Reply 114
Hey, I'm taking this exam too, I'm only revising 3 topics which is what I did last time.. I'm doing Ontological, LAD and Kant, (although I know virtue ethics too having done it for philosophy) is it a bad idea to only revise these ones? Also reading through I've noticed no-ones really doing LAD, wondering if this was for any particular reason, or?
Reply 115
Original post by gertty
Hey, I'm taking this exam too, I'm only revising 3 topics which is what I did last time.. I'm doing Ontological, LAD and Kant, (although I know virtue ethics too having done it for philosophy) is it a bad idea to only revise these ones? Also reading through I've noticed no-ones really doing LAD, wondering if this was for any particular reason, or?

I'm revising Life after Death! I'm doing that Ontological and all of Ethical Theory (Deontology, Virtue and NML).

To be honest i'd revise more ethical theories because you're relying on deontology to come up, and say it doesn't come up you're going to have to do something else.
Reply 116
Original post by SCheng
I'm revising Life after Death! I'm doing that Ontological and all of Ethical Theory (Deontology, Virtue and NML).

To be honest i'd revise more ethical theories because you're relying on deontology to come up, and say it doesn't come up you're going to have to do something else.

Okay thanks! Has it ever not come up though?
Reply 117
Original post by gertty
Okay thanks! Has it ever not come up though?

I think deontology so far has been an ethical theory which has come up quite often, but i have the June 2010 paper and on that they missed out virtue, so in theory they could if they wanted to miss out deontology.

My teacher advised us to just revise all of ethical theory (that way in the first ethics block of questions even if religion and morality came up you would still be able to answer the other question), and then two other topics, and know them very well, and you should be fine for the exam :smile:
What can Religious language be linked to in the b questions? what has come up in the past and also where can i find past papers from. I cant find them on the edexcel ...
Reply 119
Original post by Coffeegirl
What can Religious language be linked to in the b questions? what has come up in the past and also where can i find past papers from. I cant find them on the edexcel ...

How do you mean? From memory, one part b was 'How far do you agree that religious language is crucial for an understanding of religious belief?'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending