The Student Room Group

Alan Davies Hillsborough

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JRSmith29395
It seems to me there's no real reason why they can't play. Other teams don't have a problem with playing on anniversaries of tragedies relating to their team, (e.g. Munich Air Disaster or the Glasgow Rangers disaster in 1971. If they want to show their respects, then couldn't they just hold the game and have 2 minutes silence?

I'll repeat what's been said many times already:

This has nothing to do with whatever Man U, Rangers or Bradford do on the anniversary of their disasters. They choose to play which they are perfectly entitled too do. We choose not to and we are perfectly entitled to.

'it seems to me there's no real reason why they can't play'
Everyone associated with LFC attend a memorial service to remember the 96 who died on April 15th every single year. Are you trying to say that a football match is more important than remembering 96 people who lost their lives?

It's worth remembering that this is an FA cup SEMI FINAL we are talking about here.
Reply 41
http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/lfc/2012-04-11/5847/alan-davies-can-offer-something-worth-more-than-1000.html/

He’s since apologised on Twitter for the outburst and whilst the Hillsborough Justice Campaign have accepted his apology they’ve not accepted the £1000 donation that he made at the same time:

“The HJC has not accepted the £1,000 paid into its paypal account by Alan Davies. Whilst we accept his apology, we would prefer that he genuinely tried to understand why the decision never to play on the anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster is so important.”

In addition to the apology and the donation Davies tried to explain what he’d really meant: “I’m getting tweets from Liverpool fans who have been given the impression that I was disrespectful to those who lost their lives on 15/4/89.
“Many disagree but I feel that the Liverpool v Everton semi-final could be played on Apr 15. Apologies to those upset by that suggestion.

“I said the Hillsborough disaster was the worst event in modern peacetime history. I was on a terrace listening to a radio as it happened.

“I agree that there must be a full enquiry into Hillsborough but not playing on the 15th doesn’t change anything. It’s not fair on Chelsea.”

Having listened to Davies on his podcast it’s hard not read that “it’s not fair” comment without thinking of Harry Enfield’s spoiled teenage brat character. Enfield didn’t just do Scousers.

The comments show how ignorant Davies is to the reasons behind the club’s long-term decision to resist playing on that date.

For one thing it’s hardly a great hardship for football to make these kinds of considerations. It’s the first time Liverpool have been involved in an FA Cup semi-final since The FA put the ties into hock for thirty years to help pay for their stadium. Liverpool and Everton shouldn’t really be travelling all the way down to London, fans getting on their coaches at 4am, for a semi-final that could have been played at Old Trafford.

And maybe, just maybe, it would have shown more sensitivity if the FA didn’t schedule any semi-finals for that date. Would it hurt to move them to the weekend before or after if the 15th fell on a weekend?

Even UEFA made it clear they would do all they could to accommodate Liverpool’s request not to play a Champions League tie on that date, even though it may have messed up agreements with the TV companies that make the tournament so lucrative.

Part of the complaint from Davies was that the Chelsea-Spurs game was kicking off at 6pm. Liverpool’s game kicks off the day before at lunchtime. Was it Liverpool’s fault that the Chelsea game kicks off so late in the day? Should he not be livid with The FA for allowing ITV to dictate the kick-off time? Should he not be ranting at ITV?

One point he seems to gloss over is that Chelsea’s Champions League match is at home, not in Barcelona, and their FA Cup semi-final is in their home city too.
He also doesn’t really mention that this Champions League semi-final is being played on the Wednesday, not the Tuesday.

Luck gave Chelsea their first leg on the Wednesday rather than the Tuesday and at home rather than away.

Who would everyone be complaining about if Chelsea’s two semis were set for 6pm Saturday (at the behest of TV) and 8pm Tuesday?

It was “not fair” in 1989 when The FA decided how to allocate ends of the stadium, giving the side with the far larger average home gate far less tickets than the other. It was “not fair” in 1989 when the authorities ignored the fact that many fans were delayed getting to the stadium because of problems on the motorways. It was “not fair” that 96 football fans never went back home to their mums and dads and sons and daughters because people who were supposed to look after them treated them like scum.

And those bereaved mums, dads, sons and daughters remember that day every minute of every day. All they ask is that one day out of every year they can remember it with everybody else who wants to remember it with them.
One day.

If we’d given each victim one day, one victim every year, we’d still have 63 years to go before they’d all had that day.

Every year we do remember them there’s a good chance it’s the last time individual mums or dads will be there to do so. Twenty-three years is a long time and many of those parents will never see justice done in their own lifetimes, although we’ll carry the fight on until it’s won.

A service is held at Anfield. It’s attended by Liverpool players, by Liverpool staff of all levels, by families, by survivors, by fans, by fans of other clubs, by people who have no connection to football whatsoever but feel a connection to what happened.

Why would anyone want to stop them from being able to remember what happened for that one day every year?

On the 20th anniversary maybe 30,000 people went to the service. This year might be the same not everyone can make it on the 15th if it falls on a working day.

As well as the service at Anfield there are services held elsewhere, including Sheffield. People have their own ways of remembering, their own places to go to.

It’s for the families and the survivors to decide, one day, if there is no longer a need to avoid playing on the 15th.

Liverpool always ask not to play on that day and so far have always been granted that request. It’s difficult to imagine a situation where that couldn’t possibly be accommodated.

As for the question about Liverpool playing on the anniversary of Heysel, Liverpool FC has only played on that day once in all of its 120 year history. And that was the day the disaster happened.

Other clubs who have suffered tragedies have their own ways of dealing with their loss and take their own amount of time to come to terms with it if they ever do. But isn’t that the same for all of us when we’re hit by tragedy? We deal with it in our own way and it takes a real lowlife to interfere with that just because it might spoil their fun a bit.

For Liverpool April 15th isn’t about football, it’s about remembering 96 people no longer with us and thinking about the hundreds of survivors who still suffer the after-effects of what they went through.

It’s also about reminding football what happens when priorities are wrong.
Alan Davies has had plenty of time to reflect on what he said and the response he got. He should know better than to give the Twitter trolls any attention and to focus on what the more reasonable people have said to him.

He has something more powerful and helpful to the campaign for justice than that £1000 the HJC turned down. He’s a well-known public figure. He can help spread the word, help to get the truth out there. He doesn’t have to be an ‘enemy’ and his apology has been accepted.

Maybe he should try and arrange a quiet meeting with the HJC so they can help him to help them.

It doesn’t have to be on Sunday. Any day will do.
But is one day too much to ask?

This article is pretty much spot on, I think. I haven't copied it all, as it's quite long and the start of it is just talking about the podcast itself.

I can't quite believe that people have a problem with the club supporting the families wishes, to be perfectly honest.

It's strange how everyone was talking about how football fans came together for Muamba, and that there is things more important than football. Yet there seems to be plenty of people in this thread that have a problem with Liverpool ASKING (not demanding that they won't) play on a particular date, in memory of the 96.
Original post by Leelad
I'll repeat what's been said many times already:

This has nothing to do with whatever Man U, Rangers or Bradford do on the anniversary of their disasters. They choose to play which they are perfectly entitled too do. We choose not to and we are perfectly entitled to.

'it seems to me there's no real reason why they can't play'
Everyone associated with LFC attend a memorial service to remember the 96 who died on April 15th every single year. Are you trying to say that a football match is more important than remembering 96 people who lost their lives?

It's worth remembering that this is an FA cup SEMI FINAL we are talking about here.

You are right. Of course I am not trying to say that we shouldn't remember the 96. But would you not agree that a fitting tribute would be a 2 minute silence and a win against Everton to put LFC into the FA cup Final? But I can see your point of view.
Reply 43
Original post by JRSmith29395
You are right. Of course I am not trying to say that we shouldn't remember the 96. But would you not agree that a fitting tribute would be a 2 minute silence and a win against Everton to put LFC into the FA cup Final? But I can see your point of view.

If the families of the dead have decided what they see as a fitting tribute why then would anyone else think they can tell them what a more fitting tribute would be?

Also, a tribute to the 96 is not beating a team, tribute is respecting them at the memorial service. It is not a footballing issue, it is a human issue. Football is a sport, respecting those who died at said sport is far more important than a match.
Aye i think the issue is that if you disregard the memorial to play a match then it's lost forever. If the memorial ceremony for 96 people pales in significance to a football match then what message does that send to the families of those who died. A few Chelsea fans might be pissed for a couple of weeks that they have to play a bad run of fixtures, but the families will never get over what happened.

That being said these death threats at Alan Davies are ridiculous.
Original post by DannyBoy123
Can you genuinely not see why the families - and every other Liverpool fan for that matter - would have a problem with the team playing in an FA Cup Semi-Final (I can't spell it out any more clearly) on the anniversary of the disaster? Our Captain's cousin died that day.

It would be somewhat akin to organising an air show over Manchester on the day of the Munich disaster in terms of insensitivity. No one forces United to play on that date, it's your choice and I'd respect that choice either way, just as I believe fans of all clubs should respect the decision of my club not to play on April 15th as a mark of remembrance to those who died.

But if you want to be the one to phone up the families of those 96 people and tell them the remembrance service is off this year because Chelsea would have been slightly inconvenienced then please, be my guest.

Alan Davies is a pseudo-intellectual moron who has made a career hanging on to the coat tails of S. Fry. Although he doesn't deserve death threats, his comments about Hillsborough AND Spurs were absolutely disgraceful. His pathetic, backtracking apology has done nothing to help either.

I never said Liverpool didn't have the right to remember the dead as they see fit. Some people might disagree with that but I've personally always thought a football club should do whatever is asked of them in a footballing sense whenever required. If the FA choose to allow them that date off that's fine, but if the FA ask them to play, the game should be played. I might be in the minority but I'd have more respect for Liverpool if they followed our philosophy that the show must go on, always.

Chelsea's whinging is completely invalid though because it's not like they're the first team to have to play Sunday and then Wednesday in Europe. We've played Sunday 4pm then Tuesday 7:45 in the past and coped with it OK, I don't think the precious cockneys need any special treatment on that one.

In fairness I suppose Liverpool have inconvenienced their own fans as well by having the game played on the Saturday, I feel sorry for those who have to get all the way down to Wembley for such an early kick-off.
Reply 46
Original post by Mess.
Of course there is a lot of anger surrounding Hillsborough due to the lies peddled by the s*n, goverment and police...

As for the rest, I'll write it in a list so as to keep it simple:
1) Hillsborough happened on April 15th, the match that was going to be played was an FA CUP SEMI FINAL.
2) Since that time, Liverpool as a club, the supporters and the families of those who died have had a memorial service on April 15th.
3) The families of those who died do not want Liverpool to play on that day, Liverpool as a club do not want to play on that. Therefore we do not play on that day.
4) If Liverpool were forced to play on the 15th, the majority of supporters would prefer to see us leave the competition.
5) We have not played on April 15th for 20+ years and this is the first year it has ever caused an issue :dontknow:
6) Chelsea haven't even bothered appealing as they respect the wishes of Liverpool.
7) Chelsea asked for the match to be played on the Friday - the FA, Tottenham and the police refused
8) The FA want to pay off the overpriced crap that is Wembley so force semi finals to played there.
9) If semi finals were still played at various venues around the country then there would be no issue.
10) ITV also have control of match times, which is why Chelsea are playing at 6pm rather than 1pm.

I may have missed some things but you should get the gist.

As an aside do you want to be the person who tells the families how best to mourn their dead? Why do you think you know better than them for how they want to mourn their own family members?

No, I think what you've said is fair enough. I understand the background and press reporting (studied the case quite a bit in terms of tort and negligence law), and living in the North West I'm aware of the Justice campaign (flyers posted across local towns etc).

I certainly wouldn't tell them how to mourn; I am interested in the justice campaign (what are they currently looking for in terms of justice etc, obviously stadiums have been redesigned which is a major achievement). They refused an (admittedly half hearted) apology from the Sun so I don't think that will ever be resolved. With the campaign so widespread its a very public form of mourning so I'm asking out of intrigue really.

I think its fair enough if they've said they are willing drop out of the competition. I guess they shouldn't be penalized for not playing but if they voluntarily choose not to play the competition should go on.
Reply 47
Original post by Markos
Don't you think its ironic that you call them angry and bitter? Because it really sounds like you are describing yourself from all the abuse and vitriol you have been spreading in this thread.

I honestly don't know why you hate Liverpool so much. I don't know whether its an act and you are doing this for TSR brownie points or whatever but if you're like this in real life then I genuinely feel sorry for you. Peace.

Because I'm a football fan and they continue to bring shame and embarrassment on the English game and the sport as a whole. They just never learn, 1,000's of the ***** went to the CL final without tickets, stealing them off kids, rushing the gates, climbing walls, breaking through security to get in. Killing 39 Juve fans, and injuring another 600 more.

Robbed the chance for Everton to compete in the European Cup which they would've had a decent chance of winning.

Also robbed the chance of Coventry, Oxford, Wimbledon, QPR, Luton and Crystal Palace having what would've been there only season in Europe.

And of course it goes without saying that Hillsborough was in no way whatsoever anything at all to do with the hundreds of ticketless fans who forced their way in and proceeded to push themselves forward into an obviously overcrowded enclosure. They simply can't be blamed, as all they were doing was being cheeky and how can that be anything other than adorable!?!

Juve are proper football fans and you can only respect that.

Reply 48
Original post by mau5
Because I'm a football fan and they continue to bring shame and embarrassment on the English game and the sport as a whole. They just never learn, 1,000's of the ***** went to the CL final without tickets, stealing them off kids, rushing the gates, climbing walls, breaking through security to get in. Killing 39 Juve fans, and injuring another 600 more.

Robbed the chance for Everton to compete in the European Cup which they would've had a decent chance of winning.

Also robbed the chance of Coventry, Oxford, Wimbledon, QPR, Luton and Crystal Palace having what would've been there only season in Europe.

And of course it goes without saying that Hillsborough was in no way whatsoever anything at all to do with the hundreds of ticketless fans who forced their way in and proceeded to push themselves forward into an obviously overcrowded enclosure. They simply can't be blamed, as all they were doing was being cheeky and how can that be anything other than adorable!?!

well said, has anyone from Liverpool ever admitted to being one of the hundreds of ticketless fans pushing from outside that day ?
Reply 49
Original post by izzi58
well said, has anyone from Liverpool ever admitted to being one of the hundreds of ticketless fans pushing from outside that day ?

Nope, they were at it again in the 2007 Champions league final as well, turning up with fakes, robbing tickets from mothers and children and then trying to break into the ground. Left Athens looking like a warzone and would have been responsible for another stadium disaster if the police didn't keep them out. Who did they blame? UEFA for not giving them enough tickets. The UEFA reporting claimed they are ''the worst fans in Europe'' and I can only agree with that.

For all the talk they give about 'respect' and 'justice' it's funny how little they actually ever show unless it's with regards to Hillsborough. All we get is plastic outrage and the total ignorance from what I can only describe as the biggest pack of hypocritical and cowardly set of individuals I've ever come across.

They'll never 'forgive' the Sun for what was printed but then have the cheek to try and ask for forgiveness from Juve fans for killing 39 bianconeri. Absolute savages who sadly drag the name of all football supporters through the mud. :nn:
Original post by Mess.
Liverpool don't play on April 15th and the club/supporters would have preferred to resign from the competition than play an FA Cup semi final on the 15th. As much as people are blaming Liverpool for this it is only an issue due to wembley being the host of the semi finals.

Oh I personally blame ITV and the FA, as mentioned above. The last time Chelsea had ~ 48 hours from an FA Cup date and a Champions League fixture involved Barcelona too. Losing 2-1 at the Camp Nou having just played Newcastle losing 1-0 to a goal by Patrick Kluivert. I thought perhaps the FA would have expanded a ban on other teams playing or whatever crazy fake idea that people may have read in the newspapers. We both know what the FA can be like times though. I don't know how long it is until the world's biggest sporting mortgage is paid off because I have a feeling Wembley will be overused even when the debt is paid off. If that's the case then it will only help to undermine their own competition.

I understand Wembley will host the CL final in 2013. This may scupper the FA's wish to overuse Wembley for other events.
Reply 51
Original post by mau5

:facepalm2: You are being totally serious as well. I guess there is no point in arguing with a person like yourself so I'll leave it at that.
Reply 52
Original post by Markos
:facepalm2: You are being totally serious as well. I guess there is no point in arguing with a person like yourself so I'll leave it at that.

Just neg and throw around petty insults like all the other Liverpool fans do on here. :yy:
I thought he only played an idiot on QI? :dunce:
Liverpool fans in general have an attention seeking victim mentality, yes the sun may have printed lies about who caused it but it's widley recognized that that bad policing caused it it's not like a secret they are trying to get out it's a well known fact, fair enough carry on and boycot the Sun but it doesn't mean they need to go into mega offended mode and look for attention every year what justice do they want to throw some sold formers policemen in jail for an accident..

The Liverpool fans more or less caused the deaths of 39 Italian fans I don't see campaigns to get justice to the victims of that disaster they try and make out it was a tragic accident despite the Liverpool fans being responsible Hilsbourgh was an accident caused by bad policing nobody was trying to harm the Liverpool fans the Heysel Disaster was the opposite the Liverpool fans deliberetley tried to harm the Juventus fans yet gets nowhere near the same attention from them.

The fact that they turned down £1000 from Alan Davies shows them up for the attention seeking ***** they are they don't care about justice they just want people to feel sorry for them.
As far as I'm concerned Liverpool should have been expelled from the FA cup.
Reply 56
Why should they be forced to play? It's not in the rules. Many clubs are given the option and Liverpool choose not to take it, why's this so wrong, just because it's LFC? People are only saying it because they want to appear all modern and not mainstream with their 'Liverpool just want to appear the victims' crap. You try telling that to the families, they don't know why their family members died.

Original post by madders94
I disagree, if I was a Chelsea fan I'd be angry and I'd have a right to be angry that Liverpool are allowed to get away with this, blatantly risking Chelsea's chances in the Champions' League semi final.

If you were a realistic Chelsea fan you'd know you were screwed anyway.

The fact of the matter is I imagine Kenny Dalglish, a man who attended most of the 96's funerals wouldn't want to be worrying and under the strain of a really important football match such as an FA cup semi final in his first season as manager of Liverpool since the disaster. The exact same event he saw 96 people killed at 23 years prior.

He quit the first time because of this, why force him to work under that pressure and those memories? The players and staff will also be attending the memorial services, Steven Gerrard's cousin was killed at Hillsborough, so should they be forced to stay in Liverpool and not play football then? Are we supposed to field the reserves? Then it'll be Liverpool who's be weakened in their semi final, why would that be ok, but not for Chelsea's?

And as for the whole Heysel things, the stadium was in an awful state, everybody knew that, but don't listen to facts. It was all Liverpool's fault. I bet you lot all think Hillsborough was justice and revenge, right? Arsenal had commented on how bad it was, and I'm sick to death of Manc fans who pretend to follow and feel sorry for Juventus and its supporters just to try and get one over on Liverpool.

On to the refusal of the money... Anybody every thought that they might not need it? It's pretty obvious he's done it just as a little afterthought so it doesn't damage whatever career he has.

Original post by IanDangerously
Just listening to it now, he's absolutely spot on. There is no valid reason for Liverpool to not play on the 15th. You'd think the perfect tribute would be to actually play football but God forbid a FOOTBALL CLUB let playing the game of football interfere with their mass orgies of grief.

It's grief junkies running riot again. For the record, United have played on February 6th several times since the Munich tragedy in 1958, and even beat Nottingham Forest 1-8 away from home on that date a few years back. That's sympomatic of the two clubs though, we only mention our tragedy when it's relevant or on the anniversary week because we have so much else going on football wise. LFC feel the need to bleat on about theirs endlessly for 23 years like its a game of oneupsmanship.

As tragic and awful as Hillsbrough was, a minutes silence on the anniversary is enough of a public tribute and then individuals can lay flowers at the memorial if they wish. They're a football club, not a mourning club.

The difference is nobody's ever been held accountable for Hillsborough.

Why on earth you feel you have to compare two footballing tragedies is ****ing stupid and you need to take a look at what you're saying.

Just Because United choose to not bother remembering it on the date, why can't Liverpool? You also get the coverage of numerous commemorative plaques being put up on BBC's Look North every year - So if I'm right and what you're really saying is 'Get over it', the same could be said for a lot of things like this.

Original post by Mess.
This thread :lolwut: I really can't understand why people can not look at this with empathy and understanding. They are essentially saying a sport is more important than respecting the lives of people still mourning and respecting the people who were castigated in death.
I know people want to act like 'big men' because they want to sound like they think football is more important than anything or they have such a hatred of Liverpool that they will use any stick to beat them but look at the thing logically if you can't look at it emotionally.

If some of the views expressed in this thread are genuinely held in real life then I feel sorry those people.

Agree 100% and what I meant about the Liverpool bashing when some things are more important that sport.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Jim-Jam
Why should they be forced to play? It's not in the rules. Many clubs are given the option and Liverpool choose not to take it, why's this so wrong, just because it's LFC? People are only saying it because they want to appear all modern and not mainstream with their 'Liverpool just want to appear the victims' crap. You try telling that to the families, they don't know why their family members died.

You still play football on the day of the Heysel disaster, Rangers play football on the day of the Ibrox disaster, Bradford still play on the date as the Bradford disaster, football is still played on Armistice Day FFS Millions of people died in a war yet day to day life and football still goes on.
Reply 58
Original post by Shabalala
You still play football on the day of the Heysel disaster, Rangers play football on the day of the Ibrox disaster, Bradford still play on the date as the Bradford disaster, football is still played on Armistice Day FFS Millions of people died in a war yet day to day life and football still goes on.

That's Juventus though, so whether they play or not on that date is their choice, it's like saying 'Nottingham Forest still play on the Hillsborough anniversary'. If you leave out the technicalities of who 'caused' what and everything.

So what? Their choice?! If you can't even respect a choice of a FOOTBALL club that you clearly hate so much not to play football, A GAME, then go outside and take a long walk.

That's like me saying Rooney and all the other players who don't sing the national anthem should be forced to. Called choices, we're lucky to live in a society where we're allowed that. Christ..
Reply 59
Im totally taken aback by all the hatred in this thread. Some people need to take a good look at themselves and hang their heads in shame tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending