The Student Room Group

Alan Davies Hillsborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by madders94
I think he has a very good point.

9/11 was a terrible day - most Americans still get on with their day every September 11th.
My little brother died on October 21st - I still get on with my life and go to college on the anniversary of it.
Millions of people have died in wars - we have a one/two minute silence to remember it on one day of the year and then we all get on with our lives.
Bad things happen - people get on with their lives. It doesn't mean we're disrespectful people, it doesn't mean we forget, it just means that life has to carry on.

If Liverpool want to be considered, they have to play fair and consider Chelsea too - they have a chance (however slim :tongue: ) of doing well in a big competition, and to move the date of the match could potentially jeapordize their chances of doing well, so it's not exactly fair on Chelsea.

Most places that have had football tragedies hold a minute's applause, or a minute's silence, and they play in memory of the victims of the disaster. The victims were all football fans and all Liverpool fans - surely there is no better tribute to them, than for Liverpool to play in their honour and their memory? It just seems like pettiness on the Liverpool side and them trying to be perpetual victims. Hillsborough WAS a disaster, it WAS a tragedy, and no-one has denied that, not even Alan Davies - in fact, he acknowledges that it was the worst footballing disaster in his time - but it just seems very petty that Liverpool are using it as an excuse to try and scupper Chelsea's chances.

He really doesn't deserve the death threats he's getting - people are accusing him of disrespecting the dead from Hillsborough, and in the same sentence going on to wish him dead and expressing their happiness that his mother died! It's sheer hypocrisy, and also incredibly offensive.

This is pretty much what I think as well. Well said.

EDIT: For all those saying (or agreeing) that "Liverpool fans are scum".. are you actually being serious? I'm a Liverpool fan, coming from the area, and have lots of friends who are fans also, who have done absolutely NOTHING wrong. The fact that some people are undeniably "scum" doesn't occur because they're Liverpool fans, or fans of any other particular team. You'll get "scum" in EVERY part of life, and certainly you'll get prominent idiots with any story such as this one. That's just life.

To say that certain fans of whichever team are "scum" just because (let's face it) they a) don't support the same team as you and b) don't share your views, is REALLY childish and hugely generalised.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by Shabalala
You still play football on the day of the Heysel disaster, Rangers play football on the day of the Ibrox disaster, Bradford still play on the date as the Bradford disaster, football is still played on Armistice Day FFS Millions of people died in a war yet day to day life and football still goes on.

It's been said loads of times in this thread but I shall repeat it:

This has got NOTHING to do with what Rangers or Bradford do on the anniversaries of their disasters. They choose to play, we choose not to. I'm sure if any of the families had requested for Rangers or Bradford not to play on those anniversaries then they wouldn't.
Liverpool don't play on the anniversary of Hillsborough because every year on the 15th of April, everyone associated with LFC attend a memorial service to remember the 96. If you truly do believe that playing a football match is more important than going to a memorial to remember 96 people who lost their lives then I agree with that other guy, you need to take a long walk.

Agreed about the amount of hate in this thread, sadly people like Mau5 are using this as an excuse to tell people who disgusting scousers are. And bring up Heysel yet again.
Original post by Markos
Erm... again if i made an equally offensive generalization saying Muslims = Terrorists and the muslims certainly aren't doing a great job of proving that stereotype wrong - TSR would be up in arms.

However "Liverpool bashing" is unfortunately seen as fashionable on TSR and in most areas of the UK in general.

I was referring to the Liverpool fans who were posting death threats, not all Liverpool fans in general :rolleyes: those are the fans who aren't doing a very good job of perpetuating the stereotype. Like any football club, most fans of Liverpool are probably respectable followers of their club, but it's always the bad ones who shout the loudest and get noticed, and I didn't see any Liverpool fan on Twitter come out and say "I don't approve of the death threats Alan Davies is receiving" - they all seemed to be spouting abuse, and they are the ones who are scum.
Original post by Leelad
It's been said loads of times in this thread but I shall repeat it:

This has got NOTHING to do with what Rangers or Bradford do on the anniversaries of their disasters. They choose to play, we choose not to. I'm sure if any of the families had requested for Rangers or Bradford not to play on those anniversaries then they wouldn't.
Liverpool don't play on the anniversary of Hillsborough because every year on the 15th of April, everyone associated with LFC attend a memorial service to remember the 96. If you truly do believe that playing a football match is more important than going to a memorial to remember 96 people who lost their lives then I agree with that other guy, you need to take a long walk.

Agreed about the amount of hate in this thread, sadly people like Mau5 are using this as an excuse to tell people who disgusting scousers are. And bring up Heysel yet again.

Fair enough, they have their memorial service, but I think the more important matter is that a lot of Liverpool fans on the internet have reacted so disgustingly to this, claiming that Alan Davies is disrespecting the dead. It's this perpetual victim attitude that is so disgusting, combined with the death threats they've been sending and actually expressing joy that his mother died.

Alan Davies has every right, just as the rest of us do, to express our opinion over a football fixture - if he disagrees with it, he has a right to voice that, just as if I disagree with it (I don't now that I'm aware they have a memorial service which would clash with the match), I have a right to voice that, as does everyone else. Expressing an opinion on something as harmless as a football fixture is never an excuse for people to send him death threats or horrible messages.
Reply 64
Original post by Jim-Jam
That's Juventus though, so whether they play or not on that date is their choice, it's like saying 'Nottingham Forest still play on the Hillsborough anniversary'. If you leave out the technicalities of who 'caused' what and everything.

So what? Their choice?! If you can't even respect a choice of a FOOTBALL club that you clearly hate so much not to play football, A GAME, then go outside and take a long walk.

That's like me saying Rooney and all the other players who don't sing the national anthem should be forced to. Called choices, we're lucky to live in a society where we're allowed that. Christ..

Its not about whether Liverpool play on the date, its whether other teams should be negatively affected by their refusal to do so which Chelsea clearly are. Why should others be adversely affected by their stance? But why bother with a reasoned debate around a valid point when there's some outrage to be drummed up? It's a very relevant question, but unfortunately one that's never going to be addressed due to the vitriol, aggression, arrogance and complete and utter loss of sanity and common sense from the scousers.
Reply 65
Original post by mau5
Its not about whether Liverpool play on the date, its whether other teams should be negatively affected by their refusal to do so which Chelsea clearly are. Why should others be adversely affected by their stance? But why bother with a reasoned debate around a valid point when there's some outrage to be drummed up? It's a very relevant question, but unfortunately one that's never going to be addressed due to the vitriol, aggression, arrogance and complete and utter loss of sanity and common sense from the scousers.

Just out of interest, do you hate me because I'm from Liverpool? Because you seem to think that all scousers act and behave in the exact same way.

It's a shame that more questions aren't being asked of the FA of this instead of all the blame being thrown towards Liverpool. They are the ones who wouldn't let Chelsea play on Friday night. They are the ones who insist that a cup semi final should be played at Wembley instead of a neutral ground (which would save all he north teams and fans a lot of hassle getting down to Wembley)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by mau5

Have Chelsea complained or said it's inconvenient? No.

Liverpool have never played on the 15th and never will. Accept it and move on.

And if Manchester United and other clubs are so good for playing football on the anniversary's of their disasters, then why were United the only club not to issue a statement of support to Muamba? You can't tell me what they do by playing on the anniversary is classy or remembrance, it's just their own way, Liverpool have their own way, the services held on that date.

End of the day LFC aren't asking for any special treatment, they're given the option just like any other club are.

And I love how you think every single LFC fan thinks this guy should be killed and cut up into little pieces, I don't, I agree with what he's saying in the sense that's it's his opinion and he's allowed it, and there is no physical reason as to why they can't play on that date. They just don't, because it's their way of remembering the dead and always has been, so yes, it is disrespecting the dead if you're suggesting all of the services should be called off, just so Chelsea FC have another 24 hours to prepare for a match.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by Leelad
Just out of interest, do you hate me because I'm from Liverpool? Because you seem to think that all scousers act and behave in the exact same way.

It's a shame that more questions aren't being asked of the FA of this instead of all the blame being thrown towards Liverpool. They are the ones who wouldn't let Chelsea play on Friday night. They are the ones who insist that a cup semi final should be played at Wembley instead of a neutral ground (which would save all he north teams and fans a lot of hassle getting down to Wembley)

:colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending