The Student Room Group

Financial crisis ! whats your opinion and why :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Classical Liberal
I don't care about growth. I care about human happiness. Capitalism is not great because it creates growth. It is great because it allows men to achieve their values freely and in doing so benefiting others.

The only reason growth matters is because we have debt financed money system. And we need to keep growing to keep up with the interest. It is like a treadmill that keeps getting faster and faster and faster.

This is sadly a very common misconception. There is nothing intrinsic to a fractional reserve banking system that makes growth essential to a sustainable economy. That wouldn't make sense. Its a closed system ffs. We're not paying interest to Mars. The world money supply is a relative constant.

Growth is a measurement of real terms production, not money. Money is merely the oil that greases the engine, it is not a goal in itself.

The only reason the UK "needs" growth at the moment is because the past government naively built an assumption of uninterupted growth into their borrowing plans, in the theory that they could borrow more each year but provided it was at a rate lower than national growth, then in percentage terms that would be a reduction. Clearly, this was a stupid and reckless thing to do and now we're all paying the price.
Original post by py0alb
This is sadly a very common misconception. There is nothing intrinsic to a fractional reserve banking system that makes growth essential to a sustainable economy. That wouldn't make sense. Its a closed system ffs. We're not paying interest to Mars. The world money supply is a relative constant.

This is the basic fallacy underpinning most modern macro economics, as well as the fallacy of strong reduction.

It is the idea that the debt of one man is the assets of another man. Thus any debt one person has is an asset somebody else has. Therefore roughly in the words of Krugman "Private debt does not matter".

This of course completely negates that banks do not lend existing money. The banks lend what is essentially money into existence. We do not pay interest to savers. We pay interest to banks.

http://www.positivemoney.org.uk/how-banks-create-money/balance-sheets/

My proposal is that we create a system whereby private debt equals private assets. Which is what has to happen with a full reserve system. The system you seem to think exists, would actually exist.

The only reason the UK "needs" growth at the moment is because the past government naively built an assumption of uninterupted growth into their borrowing plans, in the theory that they could borrow more each year but provided it was at a rate lower than national growth, then in percentage terms that would be a reduction. Clearly, this was a stupid and reckless thing to do and now we're all paying the price.

The problem is not government debt. It is all debt. Private debt. Corporate debt.

Our problems today were not caused by government spending (did I just say that?), it was caused by people going into debt (creating money) to buy assets such as homes (which caused the price to rise), which caused people to go further into debt (create more money) to buy those assets (which caused them to rise more in price) and so on and so forth. But like all bubbles they eventually have to burst. The house price bubble has been inflation, pure and simple.
Reply 162
This is the basic fallacy underpinning most modern macro economics, as well as the fallacy of strong reduction.

It is the idea that the debt of one man is the assets of another man. Thus any debt one person has is an asset somebody else has. Therefore roughly in the words of Krugman "Private debt does not matter".

This of course completely negates that banks do not lend existing money. The banks lend what is essentially money into existence. We do not pay interest to savers. We pay interest to banks.

http://www.positivemoney.org.uk/how-banks-create-money/balance-sheets/

My proposal is that we create a system whereby private debt equals private assets. Which is what has to happen with a full reserve system. The system you seem to think exists, would actually exist.

The problem is not government debt. It is all debt. Private debt. Corporate debt.

Our problems today were not caused by government spending (did I just say that?), it was caused by people going into debt (creating money) to buy assets such as homes (which caused the price to rise), which caused people to go further into debt (create more money) to buy those assets (which caused them to rise more in price) and so on and so forth. But like all bubbles they eventually have to burst. The house price bubble has been inflation, pure and simple.

Why do you keep repeating the same retarded arguments only a couple of days after they have been completely blown out of the water?

In monetary terms, one mans assets are another mans debts. Money is just formalised credit. Credit implies debit. Hence the reason Loans = Deposits - Reserves.

All the money in the system is either public cash (public credit) or loans (private credit).

You really haven't got a clue what caused the financial crisis either, but keep repeating the same old discredited Austrian theories.
Reply 163
Also please stop putting in links to right wing conspiracy theory cult websites. You're nowhere near stupid enough to believe in that flimsy bull****.
Original post by py0alb
Also please stop putting in links to right wing conspiracy theory cult websites. You're nowhere near stupid enough to believe in that flimsy bull****.

Positive money is actually rather left wing.
Reply 165
Positive money is actually rather left wing.

left wing, right wing, they're both as bad as each other. delusion and fudged thinking masquerading as rigorous theory.
Original post by py0alb
Why do you keep repeating the same retarded arguments only a couple of days after they have been completely blown out of the water?

Because they have not been refuted.

In monetary terms, one mans assets are another mans debts. Money is just formalised credit. Credit implies debit. Hence the reason Loans = Deposits - Reserves.

But the point is that savers assets do not equal debtors debts. Banks do not operate like that, it is fairly tale. Debtors debts equals the banks assets, not savers assets.

Now as money is created when banks lend money. And when they lend money, the receiver goes into debt, money is debt. And therefore if private debt rises. The money supply rises. And as private debt has risen massively for decades so has the money supply, making your conjecture that the world money supply is relatively constant absolute nonsense.

Now basic economics tells us that if the money supply increases then you get inflation. However if you use indicators like the CPI everything seems fine. Well that is because money gets spent into a certain part of the economy first and inflates that thing the most. And as most people go into debt for mortgages, most money is created to buy houses. Which causes house prices to rise. Something which indicators like the CPI completely ignore.

We have just been enjoying inflation for the last decade and now we are suffering the hang over.

You really haven't got a clue what caused the financial crisis either, but keep repeating the same old discredited Austrian theories.

Seriously? You do not even know what Austrian theories are. I know you don't because I have not been using Austrian theories (actually I have once, when I referred to coordinating peoples times preferences, which is an Austrian theory that in some places is taken up by the mainstream, which you flippantly dismissed).

If I was using Austrian theories I would be talking about central banks and the risks of inflation.
Reply 167
May I humbly suggest, that if you're googling credit and the money multiplier to try and find a hole in my argument, you stick to websites with at least some degree of rigour.
It will happen again, not soon but its only a matter of time. There are not going to be any major changes to the system and on the evidence of the last couple of centurys, reccessions regularly occur. Nobody fully understands what causes financial troubles, even if the people learn their lesson from this financial crisis, something else could cause the same thing.
Reply 169
Because they have not been refuted.

But the point is that savers assets do not equal debtors debts. Banks do not operate like that, it is fairly tale. Debtors debts equals the banks assets, not savers assets.

Now as money is created when banks lend money. And when they lend money, the receiver goes into debt, money is debt. And therefore if private debt rises. The money supply rises. And as private debt has risen massively for decades so has the money supply, making your conjecture that the world money supply is relatively constant absolute nonsense.

Now basic economics tells us that if the money supply increases then you get inflation. However if you use indicators like the CPI everything seems fine. Well that is because money gets spent into a certain part of the economy first and inflates that thing the most. And as most people go into debt for mortgages, most money is created to buy houses. Which causes house prices to rise. Something which indicators like the CPI completely ignore.

We have just been enjoying inflation for the last decade and now we are suffering the hang over.

Seriously? You do not even know what Austrian theories are. I know you don't because I have not been using Austrian theories (actually I have once, when I referred to coordinating peoples times preferences, which is an Austrian theory that in some places is taken up by the mainstream, which you flippantly dismissed).

If I was using Austrian theories I would be talking about central banks and the risks of inflation.

please, just stop now. stop repeating what you have read from conspiracy cult websites.

Your arguments (stretching the term) have been refuted time and time again. Anyone who knows even the first thing about economics would be able to refute them.

Repeat after me. Money is simply credit. Credit is the oil that allows the economy to function. Credit and debit are simply our method of giving values to the goods and services we produce and consume and a method of keeping track of who owes what to whom. To argue that "money is debt" is to earn a degree in stating the obvious. debt is debit and debit implies credit and credit is money.

The idea that "banks create money" is equally rediculous. Of course they do, we all do, because money is simply credit - and we are all free to extend credit. If I promise my girlfriend that if she buys a pair of shoes I will pay for them, then I am extending her credit. Im effect, I am "creating money". Everytime I put a drink on a tab, the bar is extending me credit and hence "creating money". Is this what you're so terrified of? This easy and simple smoothing of financial processes? Would you rather go back to bartering?

There are two forms of credit: cash, which is credit from the government, and bank accounts, tabs, IOU notes, which is credit from a private organisation. Being a hardline authoritarian statist, you advocate that only the government should be allowed to extend credit, but this is simply stupid. It wouldn't solve anything, it would be impossible to implement, and it would do untold damage to the economy, to say nothing of a waste of paper.

Is it the idea of interest rates that confuses you?
Original post by py0alb
May I humbly suggest, that if you're googling credit and the money multiplier to try and find a hole in my argument, you stick to websites with at least some degree of rigour.

The money multiplier is irrelevant really, it does exist though.

The central banks today target funds rates, if a bank does not meet a reserve requirement that bank will be issued with high powered central bank money immediately to meet the requirement (at a cost). Or the commercial bank will get money off the market from other banks with excess reserves, at something like the LIBOR rate.

The central bank will issue enough base money to meet the demands of debtors. There is no market for loanable funds. There is just demand for debt. Which is demand for money.
Reply 171
The money multiplier is irrelevant really, it does exist though.

The central banks today target funds rates, if a bank does not meet a reserve requirement that bank will be issued with high powered central bank money immediately to meet the requirement (at a cost). Or the commercial bank will get money off the market from other banks with excess reserves, at something like the LIBOR rate.

The central bank will issue enough base money to meet the demands of debtors. There is no market for loanable funds. There is just demand for debt. Which is demand for money.

I know, dude, I study monetary economics. The three main tools of monetary policy: central bank interest rates, reserve requirements and open market operations. Which one they choose to use depends on the circumstances.
Original post by py0alb
please, just stop now. stop repeating what you have read from conspiracy cult websites.

Your arguments (stretching the term) have been refuted time and time again. Anyone who knows even the first thing about economics would be able to refute them.

The only logical conclusion then, is you do not know the first thing about economics.

Repeat after me. Money is simply credit. Credit is the oil that allows the economy to function. Credit and debit are simply our method of giving values to the goods and services we produce and consume and a method of keeping track of who owes what to whom. To argue that "money is debt" is to earn a degree in stating the obvious. debt is debit and debit implies credit and credit is money.

The idea that "banks create money" is equally rediculous. Of course they do, we all do, because money is simply credit - and we are all free to extend credit. If I promise my girlfriend that if she buys a pair of shoes I will pay for them, then I am extending her credit. Im effect, I am "creating money". Everytime I put a drink on a tab, the bar is extending me credit and hence "creating money". Is this what you're so terrified of? This easy and simple smoothing of financial processes? Would you rather go back to bartering?

This is the ideal system. Privately issued credit. Take away the monopoly of money from the the government. You create your own currency by your own credit.

The problem arises when we use government money, as it is good for the payment of taxes and will be enforced as debt in courts (the government is what gives fiat money value) but then private banks create this money. Would it really be all that different to what we had today if two guys cooperated together and made lots of counterfeit notes (the guys being a bank and a debtor)?

It is the governments money, they give it value, and they should create it. Is that really so crazy?

If you want to create your own credit and issue it as a circulating medium of exchange, brilliant. But do not create somebodies else money.
Reply 173
The only logical conclusion then, is you do not know the first thing about economics.

This is the ideal system. Privately issued credit. Take away the monopoly of money from the the government. You create your own currency by your own credit.

The problem arises when we use government money, as it is good for the payment of taxes and will be enforced as debt in courts (the government is what gives fiat money value) but then private banks create this money. Would it really be all that different to what we had today if two guys cooperated together and made lots of counterfeit notes (the guys being a bank and a debtor)?

It is the governments money, they give it value, and they should create it. Is that really so crazy?

If you want to create your own credit and issue it as a circulating medium of exchange, brilliant. But do not create somebodies else money.

The government does not have a monopoly on creating money. You have already argued that banks create money and you think the government should have a monopoly. You're contradicting yourself. We already are all able to "create our own credit", by which I presume you mean "extend credit".

It is logical and practical to use the same units as the government credit to describe out own credit. I could extend you 100 "pys" in credit, but that's pretty meaningless unless I specify the exchange rate between a "py" and a pound or a dollar. Your argument appears to be that you think something exciting and revolutionary would happen if people started using a more awkward exchange rate like 145345:1. In reality it would swiftly get forgotten.

You could print your own money if you like. Its perfectly legal. Its value would be affected by people's faith in your willingness and ability to provide goods and services equal to the stated value on demand though.

I think you're very confused about this. The system we have has evolved because it is the system that best facilitates the smooth functioning of the economy. All the suggestions you have made would do the exact opposite, as I have explained.

If there is a specific question you think I haven't answered, ask away.
Original post by py0alb
The government does not have a monopoly on creating money. You have already argued that banks create money and you think the government should have a monopoly. You're contradicting yourself. We already are all able to "create our own credit", by which I presume you mean "extend credit".

Gahh, dammed terminology. The government has a monopoly on creating base money. Banks have the legal ability to create bank credit (legal tender for all intents and purposes). And the common man has sweet **** all.

It is logical and practical to use the same units as the government credit to describe out own credit. I could extend you 100 "pys" in credit, but that's pretty meaningless unless I specify the exchange rate between a "py" and a pound or a dollar. Your argument appears to be that you think something exciting and revolutionary would happen if people started using a more awkward exchange rate like 145345:1. In reality it would swiftly get forgotten.

The key to such a system is an underlying money that is never actually used but is instead used as a reference for the value of all other money. The system is very whacky but could happen and would finally return the issuing power of money back to whom it properly belongs, the people.

Such systems have been used in the past and they have been very successful, until they were crushed by banks and government. As such a money system takes away a lot of power from government. And can get rid of the need for banks entirely in some cases.

You could print your own money if you like. Its perfectly legal. Its value would be affected by people's faith in your willingness and ability to provide goods and services equal to the stated value on demand though.

I know, more people should do it.

I think you're very confused about this. The system we have has evolved because it is the system that best facilitates the smooth functioning of the economy. All the suggestions you have made would do the exact opposite, as I have explained.

Nope, the system we have today was created by government to wage wars they could not otherwise finance and for banks to make a **** load of money. There is nothing organic about our financial system.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 175
You have to be very careful her. I do not want to see children working. But I think it is unwise for the most part to pass laws saying the children are not allowed to work.

For example in Africa, if you passed such a law, you would condemn many children to starvation because those children would be able to earn money to get food.

The child labour laws in the UK do very little harm for the main reason that children in the UK need not work. We have free education and parents can support their children, and if not we have benefits. The fact children need not work has nothing to do with laws. And everything to do with how productive the UK is today and some welfare provisions.

Yes, in the UK children do not need to work, so rather than doing "very little harm " these laws help protect children, which is good.

-Children in the UK don't need to work. Introducing legislation would "do very little harm".

-If children in the UK worked they would be taking time away from their education etc (as you said in an earlier post, its stupid to make a child work instead of go to education - no "good parent" would do it) hence children working would "do harm"

-Some people are mean and don't care about childrens future and would make them work. hence some people would "do harm" to children.

Given the above, (do you not agree with those points?) it seems natural to produce a law that minimises "harm". This law, naturally to reduce harm, would state that children can't work. Thus minimising harm to children and woudl cause "very little harm" to our economy etc (eg children wont starve)

You are saying. Get rid of the NMW. That will cause a fall in wages due to competition. Now if something is cheaper people will buy more. Therefore if labour is cheaper then there will be more jobs.

It may increase jobs, but it won't just be a linear less-pay=more-jobs. Most employers currently employ enough people, for many its not that they "can't afford" to employ more people but that they don't need more people. Having the ability to slash wages will just increase profits - the main goal of a company.

Say you own a shop that employs 10 people, thats all you need. There are 400 applicants every month. If you half your wage, you increase your profits. If you half your wage and hire annother 10 people you won't increase your profits, and having 20 people is pointless.

Now, you could look at that as the shop then has leeway to lower prices - but that most likley doesn't happen (take a look at gas prices, they rise when oil price rises, but stay level when oil price drops. Generally, companies raise the prices to keep profits level, but if costs drop they can get away with increasing profits by not dropping price).

Basically, it isn't as simple as a "supply and demand" where reducing the cost of labor will lead to a direct increase in labor demand. There are arguments for and against minimum wage.

There are arguments against having a high minimum wage sure, but having none at all simply because you don't like the word "legislation"?
Original post by Hanvyj
Yes, in the UK children do not need to work, so rather than doing "very little harm " these laws help protect children, which is good.

My point is that laws do not really protect children. It is things like benefits and the incomes of parents that protect children. The laws would actively hurt children who were in a less ideal situation.

-Children in the UK don't need to work. Introducing legislation would "do very little harm".

Correct. But doing little harm is not a reason to do something.

-If children in the UK worked they would be taking time away from their education etc (as you said in an earlier post, its stupid to make a child work instead of go to education - no "good parent" would do it) hence children working would "do harm"

Education is not ideal for everybody. Or more accurately, school is not for everybody. School for man kids is a great way to waste time, never learn anything and undermine other kids education. I think in many cases some kids would do better outside of a school enviroment and do better in work. And then be able to return to education when they are older if they choose to.

I do not think it is a bad idea to let, say 14 year olds, actually hold proper jobs. This would likely have more educational value than school I suspect in many cases.

The important thing is that people are free to choose. As long as you have choice, go into education or get a job, that is the important thing. The law saying "you must go to school" is a bad thing. And it is bad for the law to say "you shall not take a job".

-Some people are mean and don't care about childrens future and would make them work. hence some people would "do harm" to children.

For the most part Parents do care about their children and adults care about children as well. The people who do not care are government officials.

It may increase jobs, but it won't just be a linear less-pay=more-jobs. Most employers currently employ enough people, for many its not that they "can't afford" to employ more people but that they don't need more people. Having the ability to slash wages will just increase profits - the main goal of a company.

Say you own a shop that employs 10 people, thats all you need. There are 400 applicants every month. If you half your wage, you increase your profits. If you half your wage and hire annother 10 people you won't increase your profits, and having 20 people is pointless.

You might increase your profits. Analysis like this is very clumsy, you need to think about marginal cost and marginal product. Anyway, it is not to do with profits. I do not care about increasing profits for firms (if anything I prefer to see profits low). What I care about is people being free to compete in the market place. Because such conditions almost always improve the state of all parties involved.

Now, you could look at that as the shop then has leeway to lower prices - but that most likley doesn't happen (take a look at gas prices, they rise when oil price rises, but stay level when oil price drops. Generally, companies raise the prices to keep profits level, but if costs drop they can get away with increasing profits by not dropping price).

Profits level. That is a silly idea. Firms try to maximise profits. Not keep them level.

There are arguments against having a high minimum wage sure, but having none at all simply because you don't like the word "legislation"?

The arguments that apply against a high minimum wage apply against a low minimum wage, or any minimum wage at all. The minimum wage is a price control. And price controls are bad things. They always create surpluses or shortfalls. They destroy wealth.
Original post by py0alb
I know, dude, I study monetary economics. The three main tools of monetary policy: central bank interest rates, reserve requirements and open market operations. Which one they choose to use depends on the circumstances.

But for the most part the system controls the central bank. The money supply is determined by the demand of people to go into debt and the willingness of banks to issue bank credit.

When the bank trys to expand the money supply, when there is no demand for debt, it is like pushing on a string.

The loanable funds model of banking is simply not real today.
Reply 178
But for the most part the system controls the central bank. The money supply is determined by the demand of people to go into debt and the willingness of banks to issue bank credit.

When the bank trys to expand the money supply, when there is no demand for debt, it is like pushing on a string.

The loanable funds model of banking is simply not real today.

No thats the liquidity demand function. The money supply is different. Banks can't control the money supply, only the central bank or government can do that.

Here's a revision question for ya: What happens if the money supply (M1/P) is increased but liquidity demand remains constant?
Original post by py0alb
No thats the liquidity demand function. The money supply is different. Banks can't control the money supply, only the central bank or government can do that.

What do you mean by the money supply? The monetary base?

If you do mean that, then the central ultimately has control to issue the monetary base. However if there is sufficient demand for debt, the monetary base for such debt will be created automatically because the central bank does not target the monetary base but the funds rate.

Here's a revision question for ya: What happens if the money supply (M1/P) is increased but liquidity demand remains constant?

Nothing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending