The Student Room Group

Why is Babar Ahmed being extradited to the US?

Hardly seems fair

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
To who? Him or the public? Throw him in the ****ing sea for all I care. Tired of people worrying about the "rights" that scum have.
Reply 2
Because he is a Muslim Terrorist scumbag who will hopefully rot in solitary until the end of his days.

i love da USA !
Reply 3
Original post by Akinfenwa
Because he is a Muslim Terrorist scumbag who will hopefully rot in solitary until the end of his days.

i love da USA !

1. no evidence he is a 'terrorist'. There is evidence he had jihadist sympathies- but then again, should people be extradited for what they believe? Many people in this country sympathise with neo-nazi groups who endorse violence- should they be treated in the same way?

2. he is wanted by the US because a server linked to his website was located in the US- which was purely incidental.
Reply 4

i love da USA !

ter·ror·ist
noun
1.a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.
2.a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

He hasn't done anything like that............closet thing he has ever done was volunteering in Bosnia for the army to stop the killing of innocent civilians.

The UK didn't charge because the evidence of insufficient, yet for some strange reason the US seems to think they can using the same evidence.
Reply 5
Original post by Iqbal007
ter·ror·ist
noun

He hasn't done anything like that............closet thing he has ever done was volunteering in Bosnia for the army to stop the killing of innocent civilians.

The UK didn't charge because the evidence of insufficient, yet for some strange reason the US seems to think they can using the same evidence.

Spare me, all extremist Muslims are exactly the same.

Down with the west, Alah Hu Akbar, free Palestine blah de blah.

This country will be a better place without him, extreamist Muslims need to learn to stop biting the hand that feeds them. Dont like the west, leave.
Reply 6
Its also nice to see the "moderate" Muslims defending the rights of Terrorist sympathising scumbags.

It really helps me put into perspective the views Muslims have in the UK.
Reply 7
Spare me, all extremist Muslims are exactly the same.

Down with the west, Alah Hu Akbar, free Palestine blah de blah.

This country will be a better place without him, extreamist Muslims need to learn to stop biting the hand that feeds them. Dont like the west, leave.

We are not here defending extremist Muslims........we are here defending one man, Babar Ahmed....who isn't a extremist at all...if said so by BBC news...the US suspect him of being one.

'Allah hu akbar' is generic in Islam which every Muslim says when praying...meaning Allah is great. Down with the west isn't associated with those Muslim's either, there is those sentiments among other nations of other faiths. Free Palestine is another thing, many people say that regardless of faith.

"His parents migrated to England from Pakistan in the early 1960s.[citation needed] His father is a retired civil servant and his mother a retired science teacher.
He went to a public school where he won academic prizes and obtained GCSEs and A-Levels. He then went to university and obtained a Master’s degree in Engineering from the University of London. Before his imprisonment in August 2004, he was working in the IT department at Imperial College London.
According to Mr. Sadiq Khan MP of the House of Commons, Ahmad "is known locally in Tooting as a caring and helpful member of our community""

He has done a lot for this country........nor is he a extremist, facts state otherwise.
Reply 8
If Babar Ahmad has committed an offence, then the United States should provide British courts with their evidence to be evaluated prior to his extradition. Further more if he is guilty of providing support for terrorism, then he has committed a criminal offence United Kingdom who are also fighting Islamic Extremism, and as a British citizen he should be trialled in a British court and if found guilty serve his sentence in a British jail. His extradition to the United States is entirely unfair regardless of whether he is guilty of supporting terrorist acts or not.

Also adding to that, keeping a person under arrest without charges pressed against him is criminal. His treatment at the hands of the Police has been dire, and I very much doubt the charges that America are accusing him of, I hope justice prevails.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
We are not here defending extremist Muslims........we are here defending one man, Babar Ahmed....who isn't a extremist at all...if said so by BBC news...the US suspect him of being one.

'Allah hu akbar' is generic in Islam which every Muslim says when praying...meaning Allah is great. Down with the west isn't associated with those Muslim's either, there is those sentiments among other nations of other faiths. Free Palestine is another thing, many people say that regardless of faith.

"His parents migrated to England from Pakistan in the early 1960s.[citation needed] His father is a retired civil servant and his mother a retired science teacher.
He went to a public school where he won academic prizes and obtained GCSEs and A-Levels. He then went to university and obtained a Master’s degree in Engineering from the University of London. Before his imprisonment in August 2004, he was working in the IT department at Imperial College London.
According to Mr. Sadiq Khan MP of the House of Commons, Ahmad "is known locally in Tooting as a caring and helpful member of our community""

He has done a lot for this country........nor is he a extremist, facts state otherwise.

So what, some Muslim MP says he's a benefit to his community.

Which community is that because it sure as hell isn't mine. As usual Muslims looking out for only other Muslims, yourself included.

"Babar Ahmad was arrested in London on 5 August 2004 on charges that of providing material support to terrorism, providing illegal support to the Taliban, money laundering and conspiring to kill people. An affidavit filed with the US court details that Ahmad used aliases to operate Azzam.com, a website supporting Chechen and Taliban fighters. It further describes that items recovered from a house used by Ahmad included a British Airways Executive Club card in his name and next to it a floppy disk containing a password-protected document containing a detailed description of the US Fifth Fleet, its ships, the date and time of its expected passage through the Straits of Hormuz, and that it was vulnerable to attack by "RPG" (rocket-propelled grenade)."

The US will trial him and give him what he deserves.
Reply 10
sounds like a bit of a dick tbh
Because the US want to try him, presumably.

At least he won't be in our system anymore; we won't have to pay to keep him protected and secure, won't have to put up with him ranting in the streets and with any luck they'll bump him off, the US justice system being what it is...
Reply 12
So what, some Muslim MP says he's a benefit to his community.

Which community is that because it sure as hell isn't mine. As usual Muslims looking out for only other Muslims, yourself included.

"Babar Ahmad was arrested in London on 5 August 2004 on charges that of providing material support to terrorism, providing illegal support to the Taliban, money laundering and conspiring to kill people. An affidavit filed with the US court details that Ahmad used aliases to operate Azzam.com, a website supporting Chechen and Taliban fighters. It further describes that items recovered from a house used by Ahmad included a British Airways Executive Club card in his name and next to it a floppy disk containing a password-protected document containing a detailed description of the US Fifth Fleet, its ships, the date and time of its expected passage through the Straits of Hormuz, and that it was vulnerable to attack by "RPG" (rocket-propelled grenade)."

The US will trial him and give him what he deserves.

As the MP stated, people know him locally and see him in good light, he was stating how his local constituency see him.

His local community is Tooting in the London Borough of Wandsworth......why should anyone have to benefit your community.........people live in their respective area. Really? So you know what goes to my head and who I look out for.......thank you for providing an insight into myself :nothing: I look out for people anyone I care about or where people are being treated wrongly like Mckinnon.

But was not he not released a while after.........because from ur quote it would seem that he was definitely prosecutable under this countries law, yet he wasn't that would mean theirs something wrong with the evidence.

Nor does the US have any authority of acting its laws against anyone where they suspect people have committed crimes on another land. It's stupidity.
Original post by Lil Piranha
Because the US want to try him, presumably.

At least he won't be in our system anymore; we won't have to pay to keep him protected and secure, won't have to put up with him ranting in the streets and with any luck they'll bump him off, the US justice system being what it is...

Ahh your priority is one less man being in our 'system', even if he is potentially innocent. Because you would rather save some money and go on guesswork, than allow a proper investigation.
What a tremendously rational conclusion.
(edited 12 years ago)
a floppy disk containing a password-protected document containing a detailed description of the US Fifth Fleet, its ships, the date and time of its expected passage through the Straits of Hormuz, and that it was vulnerable to attack by "RPG" (rocket-propelled grenade).

Not surprised the US want to try him, it was their men he was "allegedly" conspiring to kill. We don't have the evidence, the US do and if they want to foot the bill for his trial and most likely his incarceration let them.

But don't worry he will be here for at least another 3 months wasting everyones time and money.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Darth Stewie
a floppy disk containing a password-protected document containing a detailed description of the US Fifth Fleet, its ships, the date and time of its expected passage through the Straits of Hormuz, and that it was vulnerable to attack by "RPG" (rocket-propelled grenade).

Not surprised the US want to try him, it was their men he was "allegedly" conspiring to kill. We don't have the evidence, the US do and if they want to foot the bill for his trial and most likely his incarceration let them.

But don't worry he will be here for at least another 3 months wasting everyones time and money.

How do you know the US has evidence the UK authorities dont?
Reply 16
I see we are handing yet more British people over to the americans. Discusting.
Original post by nosaer
How do you know the US has evidence the UK authorities dont?

The CPS have admitted not having all the evidence http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cps-has-not-seen-all-us-evidence-against-babar-ahmad-6267761.html

Why the US want to prosecute him themselves i have no idea but if i had to guess:

Chances are a lot of the evidence the US have for the conspiracy to kill (which is really the big one that he is being sent to super max for) is from the sailor who allegedly leaked the information in the first place, that is probably highly sensitive and they don't want it coming out in another countries court case.

Also because he actively conspired to kill their soldiers they want him tried in a US court as a matter of principle.
Reply 18
ter·ror·ist
noun

Well his website kind of advocates terrorism... meaning he advocates terrorism. Makes him a terrorist by your own definition.
He had a disk with details of the US fifth fleet and when it would be in the strait of hormuz and its weakness. The info came from a US sailor who was arrested for passing on the info so if him passing on the info was a crime then receiving it must be too.
The guy i saw online said ahmad's site seems to have a "direct line" to major terrorists.

As for extradition:
The site is stored in the US so he is bound to their laws and so illegal content on a US site means a trial there.
If the facebook guy came here and remotely made it illegal under US law then he'd be charged there as that,s where the data is.
The crime of passing on the 5th fleet info started there. I don't know how ahmad got it but it was an on going crime started in the US with the US being a potential target.
That's just from a quick search
Reply 19
Original post by Darth Stewie
The CPS have admitted not having all the evidence http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/cps-has-not-seen-all-us-evidence-against-babar-ahmad-6267761.html

Why the US want to prosecute him themselves i have no idea but if i had to guess:

Chances are a lot of the evidence the US have for the conspiracy to kill (which is really the big one that he is being sent to super max for) is from the sailor who allegedly leaked the information in the first place, that is probably highly sensitive and they don't want it coming out in another countries court case.

Also because he actively conspired to kill their soldiers they want him tried in a US court as a matter of principle.

Well that's the problem there. America can claim to have some evidence, yet don't need to show any of it for him to be extradited. That is totally wrong and unjust.

Im sure a lot of countries want to prosecute British nationals under laws they have using evidence only they have - it doesn't mean we piss all over our sovereignty and disown one of our own.

And then you only need to look at America's track record of human rights abuses and unfair detention in these types of cases to know it would be wholly wrong to extradite him. Would we ever consider extraditing someone the Russians or Iranians wanted to try in their courts? Hell no.

As far as I'm concerned, if the CPS say there isn't enough evidence to charge him with under UK law, that's good enough for me. If America want to supply some evidence, fair enough. Otherwise, I think the sovereignty and pride of our own legal system should come first here and do away with this farce of an extradition treaty. American interests should not be put above our own.

Edit: Also regarding the sailors document: "In 2006, the then attorney general said Babar Ahmad could not be prosecuted over the document, which had been seized in London."
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending