Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Imam marries gay Muslim couple in France, French government refuses to recognise it.

Announcements Posted on
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    The top line in this context is correct.everything else is wrong because you have your own views of Islam, and you are implying what you think is fact, and that everything else is wrong. He is different but that doesn't mean he's bad or anything

He may have different views but that does not make him any less of a Muslim than another... You may think your views are correct, you may have friends who also think you are correct, but you can't say he's wrong.... Religion can be quite subjective afterall...

With the example I gave previously, if he thinks it needs to be updated, then he isn't going to judge his actions based on the OLD views is he now? He isn't going to think it should be forbidden. You may think it should be forbidden, but he doesn't

A lot of things have changed since the time the quran has been written... This includes how we treat each other because believe it or not, morals have changed with time. Do you accept that things have changed since the time the quran was written?

For example, youre not allowed to touch kids now... This is because kids don't know any better, and you could potentially screw them up, etc
    This is an example of how attitudes have changed since the past

If he believes the Quran needs changing he is not a Muslim. Why is that so hard for you to understand? A Muslim is someone who submits to God. If he believes homosexual acts are allowed, he is not a Muslim.

Sure you can ramble on about different views and whatnot but at the end of the day, potentially every sect views homosexual acts as abhorrent.

As for morals changing, you do realise and understand Muslims believe it is the Word of God right?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    It's pretty obvious from the context what I meant. Do you really think 'married' homosexuals aren't doing the act?

I think your responses to everything so far have been in the extreme ludicrous.
    Clearly if the quran doesnt forbid gay marriages, you have no right to claim islam is against it. So they have a right to marry.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty obvious from the context what I meant. Do you really think 'married' homosexuals aren't doing the act?
    They might not be, who are you to say they definitely will?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reform)
    If he believes the Quran needs changing he is not a Muslim. Why is that so hard for you to understand? A Muslim is someone who submits to God. If he believes homosexual acts are allowed, he is not a Muslim.

Sure you can ramble on about different views and whatnot but at the end of the day, potentially every sect views homosexual acts as abhorrent.

As for morals changing, you do realise and understand Muslims believe it is the Word of God right?
    Oh bloody hell, you're doing it again... Who do you think you are? Are you some kind of Muslim detector? :lolwut: why is it so hard for YOU to understand? Did you just ignore my post? People like you represent what is wrong with Islam...there's more to a person than a)Muslim b) not Muslim. :facepalm:

Everything you've said is from your own view...

As for the word of god, I refer back to my previous example, where he may think that god intends for views to be updated with time...

I advise you to read my posts because I get the feeling we will end up in a cyclic argument because of you
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh bloody he'll, you're doing it again... Who do you think you are? Are you some kind of Muslim detector? :lolwut: why is it so hard for YOU to understand? Did you just ignore my post? People like you represent what is wrong with Islam...there's more to a person than a)Muslim b) not Muslim. :facepalm:

Everything you've said is from your own view...

As for the word of god, I refer back to my previous example, where he may think that god intends for views to be updated with time...

I advise you to read my posts because I get the feeling we will end up in a cyclic argument because of you
    You're either a Muslim or you're not. You either go to Heaven or you don't. The Quran states that homosexual acts are forbidden. Who am I to say the opposite?

'This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion.'

If the Quran says as stated above, who would believe God may have intended for us to change our views?

As for, 'you represent what's wrong with Islam', please feel free to expand.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he believes the 'Quran is ancient' why is he still a Muslim?

If he doesn't acknowledge the Quran is the word of God then surely he can't be Muslim.

If he does, is he arrogant enough to change the words of God knowing fully well what it states?
    Christians all over the world have done this, its great to see this significant step in Islamic civilisation.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    Very, very naive of you to think married homosexuals dont have sex at all.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe xxx)
    Christians all over the world have done this, its great to see this significant step in Islamic civilisation.
    Hopefully this is the first and only case.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're either a Muslim or you're not. You either go to Heaven or you don't. The Quran states that homosexual acts are forbidden. Who am I to say the opposite?

'This day I have perfected for you your religion and completed My favor upon you and have approved for you Islam as religion.'

If the Quran says as stated above, who would believe God may have intended for us to change our views?

As for, 'you represent what's wrong with Islam', please feel free to expand.
    You do know religion isn't that black and white, right?
    It's your own damn view that everything in the Quran presently should be taken as it is. Not everyone has this view... Some people have actually grown up and learnt not to take it so literally...

Religion is subjective, but you fail to realise this, one example the quote could reference to is that god has made you perfect by presenting you your religion, Islam. Hell, I gave an example of him thinking god told him it needs to be updated, he could have different views that's why I said its an EXAMPLE

I don't know that guy, I gave valid examples of what he COULD have been thinking, he could have different reasons than what I have stated...

I have expanded, not everything is black and white, it's not like all Muslims are good and 'normal' and all the bad and different people are non-muslim... That's simply being intolerant of those who share the same religion as you...
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Did I say that I don't think couples have sex? Or are you just making assumptions from my post?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod)
    I think your responses to everything so far have been in the extreme ludicrous.
    Clearly if the quran doesnt forbid gay marriages, you have no right to claim islam is against it. So they have a right to marry.
    You two are beyond laughable in your views. Being gay is clearly forbidden in Islam but you actually think there's a loophole allowing gay marriage?

Incest is forbidden, why not marry your sibling? It's as silly as that and you're clutching at straws. I don't care if people are actively gay but they can't claim it's allowed in Islam and if they do, they aren't Muslim (contradict clear verses). It's very simple. I don't see what's difficult to understand on this issue.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The world has gone mad because for once I agree with Chloe.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    You two are beyond laughable in your views. Being gay is clearly forbidden in Islam but you actually think there's a loophole allowing gay marriage?

Incest is forbidden, why not marry your sibling? It's as silly as that and you're clutching at straws. I don't care if people are actively gay but they can't claim it's allowed in Islam and if they do, they aren't Muslim (contradict clear verses). It's very simple. I don't see what's difficult to understand on this issue.
    Odd that taking into account so many Muslims marry their cousins, which is incest (blood related breeding) and leads to genetic deformations.

Of course, not an Islamic practice but why do so many Muslims not heed Islam in this manner?

Rape is never condemned in Islam either, so I guess that makes it ok then?

If Islam doesnt mention gays not being able to marry then surely they can, no?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this is the first and only case.
    Why? Because Islam oppresses gays?

This guy has clearly helped and supported 2 men who would likely be stoned to death in any Muslim country.

He is a fantastic example of a modern day Muslim.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being gay is not forbidden, taking part in homosexual acts is. I suggest you go and read your holy book again.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do know religion isn't that black and white, right?
    It's your own damn view that everything in the Quran presently should be taken as it is. Not everyone has this view... Some people have actually grown up and learnt not to take it so literally...

Religion is subjective, but you fail to realise this, one example the quote could reference to is that god has made you perfect by presenting you your religion, Islam. Hell, I gave an example of him thinking god told him it needs to be updated, he could have different views that's why I said its an EXAMPLE

I don't know that guy, I gave valid examples of what he COULD have been thinking, he could have different reasons than what I have stated...

I have expanded, not everything is black and white, it's not like all Muslims are good and 'normal' and all the bad and different people are non-muslim... That's simply being intolerant of those who share the same religion as you...
    I'm not saying Muslims don't make mistakes and commit crimes / sins. What I am saying is that you're however a Muslim or a non - Muslim. No such thing as an in between . Sure we're given a choice in Islam on certain issues such as how to pray etc but certain issues are clear and concise. The ruling on Homosexual acts are clear and concise. You'll probably again say that it's my opinion of the religion but what I'm getting at is that Islam forbids homosexual acts. You cannot find a way around this particular issue.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mz-Nmh)
    What kind of Imam blesses a marriage clearly forbidden in his religion!?:confused: I would really like to know his reason to accept homosexual marriage as it contradicts his faith. I assume No-one is perfect would be his answer..
    That person has moved in to 21st century and has rightly moved his faith foward to, his is not a close minded, iggonarent person like you who is stuck in the 7th century.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why? Because Islam oppresses gays?

This guy has clearly helped and supported 2 men who would likely be stoned to death in any Muslim country.

He is a fantastic example of a modern day Muslim.
    A Muslim is someone who submits to God. Correct?

To give your blessing to two homosexuals implies you agree with what they're doing and thus going against God.

Now tell me, if this guy feared God, do you really think he'd do this? Absolutely 110% not. Sure you may see him as a 'fantastic example' but what does he see himself as is the question. If he believes it's right and nothing is wrong with it, he is no longer a Muslim. If he sees it as wrong then he has committed a major sin.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

The koran also says muslims cant marry their immediate family - to aleiviate your concerns, up to 1st cousin. and so again gay marriage is not contradicted in any verse, thats why this imam was able to perform the marriage.

The world has gone mad because for once I agree with Chloe.
    Great , why dont the both of you get married
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Being gay is not forbidden, taking part in homosexual acts is. I suggest you go and read your holy book again.
    I suggest you care less about my holy book since it doesn't concern you. Free world and all that. Homosexual acts are not only sodomy, there are other ways to be intimate. It's a zero tolerance attitude in Islam. That's pretty obvious to any staunch islamaphobe so stop trying to push your silly liberal agenda on others. You are free to have your views as do others.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: May 22, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.